Random Movie Talk Part Eleventy-1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
a professional ballet dancer, one that must have started as a child would never have gotten that much ink on her back, a small tattoo sure,
but not those giant wings.

the ending of swan was fine.
it fit where the movie was going. the movie has no real weight.

the movie was fine, it certainly not best movie material.

Black Swan is a perfect example of a mediocre script being elevated by superb characterizations and assured direction.

Who knows? I'm a silly drunk bastard.

She definitely exists as a member of the ensemble, but anytime she seeks out interaction with Portman, that's when she's a figment of her imagination.

I wouldn't go so far as to say every time she seeks out interaction was imagined.

A prima ballerina would not get that much visible ink.

tumblr_lfv4y2Dh4N1qcfpcgo1_500.gif

so either the character was imagined, or the ink was. If the ink was imagined than which, if any of the interactions were or were not imagined?

Do you really think Portman dies at the end? I am just too optimistic about these things for my own good.

You guys are sooo helpful...:wink:
My "fill in the gaps" question however was a literal one...I get what was going on (And Kunis did exist, she's in the ensemble at the end looking at Amidala after her swan dive, but clearly many/most of the one on onse scenes she was not there), but what I just want to know what I missed in those 6 minutes...I'm guessing I missed the dance of the black swan or whatever.

My "fill in the gaps" question however was a literal one...I get what was going on (And Kunis did exist, she's in the ensemble at the end looking at Amidala after her swan dive, but clearly many/most of the one on onse scenes she was not there), but what I just want to know what I missed in those 6 minutes...I'm guessing I missed the dance of the black swan or whatever.

Sorry, bub. Yeah, looks like that's what you missed.

the most we are going to get, is a consensus by some on ''when' Lily did exist or even if she existed at all, opinions will vary.

That last 'frenzied' dance scene is kind of important, I watched it twice. Was she injured, wounded? There really was not much blood at all, until the end?

Did she die? or did she just make a complete break from reality? there is a case to be made for that, death = fade to black, fade to white? madness? another consciousness?

a professional ballet dancer, one that must have started as a child would never have gotten that much ink on her back, a small tattoo sure,
but not those giant wings.

This is just plain wrong, by the way. Mrs. Tourist got a degree in ballet and modern dance and some of those people with whom she danced in the school (who are in the same generation as Kunis) are tattooed up to high heaven.

Lots of reviews for The Tree of Life coming in.

Seems like most of my reservations about the film are coming across to the first audiences. It sounds like what I read in the script was filmed almost exactly as it was written, which means, yeah, the whole thing is far too on-the-nose, explicit, and even a little preachy for Malick, where he revisits many themes and ideas that he already covered with much more subtlety and grace in The New World and The Thin Red Line. Still, the pans it's getting are quite amusing, as there will always be scores of people who simply hate everything that makes him Malick. I'm still anticipating a wholly sensual, cinematically rich experience on a level which few filmmakers are currently capable of.

Also, it still boggles my mind that booing is an accepted and commonplace behavior at Cannes.

Lots of reviews for The Tree of Life coming in.

Seems like most of my reservations about the film are coming across to the first audiences. It sounds like what I read in the script was filmed almost exactly as it was written, which means, yeah, the whole thing is far too on-the-nose, explicit, and even a little preachy for Malick, where he revisits many themes and ideas that he already covered with much more subtlety and grace in The New World and The Thin Red Line. Still, the pans it's getting are quite amusing, as there will always be scores of people who simply hate everything that makes him Malick. I'm still anticipating a wholly sensual, cinematically rich experience on a level which few filmmakers are currently capable of.

Also, it still boggles my mind that booing is an accepted and commonplace behavior at Cannes.

this review,

The Tree of Life: Cannes 2011 Review - The Hollywood Reporter

is mostly good. I stopped reading about 2/3s through because they were giving up some plot lines. I would rather know less, than more about the film on first viewing.

I don't mind split reviews. Hereafter (Eastwoods last) got splits. It should have just gotten 'less than' good reviews. I fall on the "good film" split on all the other Malicks, I expect to land there on this one, too.

It's receiving generally mixed-positive reviews, with equal number raves and pans. To be expected of course and it hardly means anything.

Reviews for The New World were decidedly mixed yet I found it to be spellbinding. People I know and respect were bored out of their fucking skulls.

It is....what it is.

Of course it is, what I find interesting is merely what people who actually understand Malick and cinema in general are saying about it, given what I know/expect of the film already. Those quick to pin a tag of quality on it right out of the gate or from a batch of twitter updates need a good kick in the teeth, however.

I wasn't even talking to you scum.

But your 2nd sentence is dead on.

We're so pathetic as a society right now as it pertains to how we go about forming/sharing opinions. But that's a whole other discussion.

We're so pathetic as a society right now as it pertains to how we go about forming/sharing opinions.

It's weird how reliant on reviews the internet has made people. As if nothing that received under some arbitrary number is worthy of being experienced. It's weird how people seem to forget it's all just some random schmo they maybe have never even heard of's opinion.

Anyways, I saw Thor and Easy A this weekend. Also finally started Season 3 of Deadwood. I've mentioned it to a few here already, but I watched At Close Range a week ago, and really liked it.

I'm guilty of looking at Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic for scores of things....but never to help me decide on a purchase or viewing....I'll be damned if I really want to see something and then let a review scare me off. Of course, if I avoid something and friends tell me it's actually good, that's something entirely different.

The internet is always a double edged sword for me.....

At Close Range is a good little movie.

Films - Coming Soon - The Criterion Collection

The Killing + Killer's Kiss, If..., The Battle of Algiers, Complete Vigo, Cul-De-Sac, Secret Sunshine, Kurahara Eclipse, and Orpheus.

Excited to watch all of these.

Really excited for Secret Sunshine, Orpheus and the eclipse.

As usual, it's an Eclipse set I'm most interested in. Even though I know nothing about Kurahara.

The Jean Vigo set is also nice to see. If you guys haven't seen L'Atalante...well, there's a reason it's considered one of the greatest films ever made (placed 6th on the 1992 Sight & Sound poll).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom