Random Movie Talk Part Eleventy-1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also regardless of the intention of his comments (which I'm guessing were to be an attention whore), this is the one story about Cannes that the non film-buff crowd is going to hear about, so of course the festival is going to scramble to save face. Of course it won't help to say "persona non grata" to Joe the Plumber, heck maybe they'll think the festival gave him some sort of award :lol:.

Well what did you expect? There's a limit to the free speech people will stomach when it comes to topics like that.

Sure... but his continuously more outlandish personal provocation is like, part of the whole reason people pay attention to him, and to his frequent Cannes antics, and to all the headlines about the festival and so on and so on. There's no way the festival runners aren't happy with all the attention they always get with provocateurs like Trier, Noe, Dumont, and their kin. Part of the reason people tune in. I don't know, but I guess the whole banning thing is an even bigger headline for them, and I'll be curious to see them reinvite him to the festival a few years from now, heh.

edit: You partially beat me to the punch, but yeah, I still think in a way they're probably somewhat happy that the whole thing has caused as much outside attention as it has in the first place.

Maybe, but they're only happy with the attention if they can save face simultaneously. I'm not saying anything LVT surprises me anymore, but when a snippet like that goes mainstream and most people don't know what he's like, it's gotta be a black eye for the festival. But then the adage goes that there's no such thing as bad publicity, I think people like Mel Gibson might disagree with that however.

True enough. Maybe I'm just getting a kick out of how easily all the critics and now the festival and still willing to play right into his hand.

This banning may seem like overkill, but keep in mind the strict French laws regarding anti-semitism. There is a high-profile criminal case against a fashion designer for uttering a series of slurs. They take it very seriously, and while Cannes should be a forum for free speech, artists should consider where they are and how they phrase their statements when so many are watching and translating.

Von Trier is a jackass and gets no sympathy from me, however good this or his other films may be.

This banning may seem like overkill, but keep in mind the strict French laws regarding anti-semitism. There is a high-profile criminal case against a fashion designer for uttering a series of slurs. They take it very seriously, and while Cannes should be a forum for free speech, artists should consider where they are and how they phrase their statements when so many are watching and translating.

Von Trier is a jackass and gets no sympathy from me, however good this or his other films may be.

Entirely true. Though I feel that the festival should and does strive to be such a forum, for both the artists and their work, it just rubs me the wrong way to turn on a frequent competition member in such an extreme manner for broaching an admittedly touchy subject. Oh well.

Trier is a complete asshole though, but I find it to be part of his charm, which is odd similar attitudes from other artists usually turn me off. Maybe because I find him very funny, and it's hard to be too bothered when he makes a second career of fucking with snooty festival critics.

Laz must already own the entire Scream series on Blu-Ray.

Has anyone here seen 13 Assassins yet? Sorry, I haven't been keeping up.

it is playing at a theater by me with Cave of Forgotten Dreams in 2D
I should try and hit them both. I don't expect Cave to ever get to me in 3D
all the 13 Assassins reviews I have seen have been positive so if you are right at least I know I will enjoy Cave.

If you have Comcast, I think 13 Assassins is available in the "same day as theaters" section to rent.

Most of the time I prefer to see movies on the big screen.

I am fortunate to live in an area that has 100s of screens within a 30 minute drive. I often plan my trips, so I can catch two films.

I have Time Warner with all the premium channels with a dvr. $165 a month (including internet), I tend to wait for HBO, IFC or Sundance instead of paying more for a rental.

He wouldn't Mildred Pierce her if he got the chance.

Kill me now.

Most of the time I prefer to see movies on the big screen.

I am fortunate to live in an area that has 100s of screens within a 30 minute drive. I often plan my trips, so I can catch two films.

I have Time Warner with all the premium channels with a dvr. $165 a month (including internet), I tend to wait for HBO, IFC or Sundance instead of paying more for a rental.

Well la-de-da Mr Frenchmen

On less exciting news, I just found out that I'm going to have to go to that dreaded Cambridge theater I was just talking about for Tree of Life.

Criterion announced that they will have a "flash sale" today. Not sure yet what they will offer.

I think you know:

flash_gordon.jpg

About time this got a Criterion treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom