Random Movie Talk IX: Insurrection? More Like Insur-SUCK-tion, Amirite???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who the fuck is this twat?

picture3t.jpg

Quick TV update:

Finish The Sopranos. All in all a fantastic series that seems to have gotten eclipsed as far as popular TV fan opinion is concerned over the years, which I suppose is still to be determined personally, since I still have a lot of watching to do. I don't love it quite as much as Deadwood, but it's not too far off. It ended strong, meaning like two and a half exceptional seasons strong. And the series finale is quite seriously one of the greatest endings ever... to anything. :up:

As for season rankings:

6 (Part II > Part I)

Probably.

Also, The ladyfriend got me Seasons 2 and 3 of Mad Men on blu. I'm very excited to get back into that one.

Quick TV update:

Finish The Sopranos. All in all a fantastic series that seems to have gotten eclipsed as far as popular TV fan opinion is concerned over the years, which I suppose is still to be determined personally, since I still have a lot of watching to do. I don't love it quite as much as Deadwood, but it's not too far off. It ended strong, meaning like two and a half exceptional seasons strong. And the series finale is quite seriously one of the greatest endings ever... to anything. :up:

As for season rankings:

6 (Part II > Part I)

Probably.

Also, The ladyfriend got me Seasons 2 and 3 of Mad Men on blu. I'm very excited to get back into that one.

How long did it take you to get through?

DOUBLE LADYFRIEND ACTION.

Also, Batman: Under the Red Hood is fucking ridiculous. It makes me sad that we'll never see Al Pacino's Black Mask.

Hell yeah for Hobo With a Shotgun!!! How strange is it to see see fake trailers from Grindhouse turned into real features?? Although, to be fair the Machete trailer was based on a feature screenplay Rodriguez wrote in the 90's.

Hah, it was just the bizarre phrasing. Take it easy. I know you are and appreciate it.

Have you read the novel Lance? It really is an incredible read, such well drawn characters, a slowly revealing plot, and first-person narration that is so natural in all its tangents and personal mannerisms of the narrator. I'm excited because I think it looks like Romanek has done a good job bringing it to screen, but part of me hates adaptations because 90% of the audience will never read the book, and in the case of a book like this that's a damn shame, because all the excellent filmmaking in the world can't bring an author's unique prose to the screen. That said, sometimes you can visually depict a novel perfectly, like The Road, and it isn't a bad thing even though you obviously can't get the sparseness and free verse poetry of the entire novel. Blah blah blah, people should read more, blah, TV/movies rot kids brains blah blah, end.

Have you read the novel Lance? It really is an incredible read, such well drawn characters, a slowly revealing plot, and first-person narration that is so natural in all its tangents and personal mannerisms of the narrator. I'm excited because I think it looks like Romanek has done a good job bringing it to screen, but part of me hates adaptations because 90% of the audience will never read the book, and in the case of a book like this that's a damn shame, because all the excellent filmmaking in the world can't bring an author's unique prose to the screen. That said, sometimes you can visually depict a novel perfectly, like The Road, and it isn't a bad thing even though you obviously can't get the sparseness and free verse poetry of the entire novel. Blah blah blah, people should read more, blah, TV/movies rot kids brains blah blah, end.

I haven't read the novel, no. It seems like something I would like though. I've just heard great things about the film and the people involved. The trailer looks fantastic, good buzz etc etc. As for The Road, I think it's been more than discussed enough on here already, but I think you're a bit generous. Perhaps "translate the all the descriptive strokes and plot" to the screen is more appropriate. I thought it was a perfectly adequate film, but as you suggested, it completely missed the essence of the novel, which lies of course in the particulars of the prose. If an artist can manage to translate that from one medium to another, it likely won't be in an expected way either and will probably get shit for a particular lack of faithfulness or whatever. But aaaaaanyway, since someone brought up The Road I always like to take the opportunity to plug Michael Haneke's Time of the Wolf. Essentially the film The Road desperately wanted to be, and it came out back in 2003 or so.

YouTube - Cold Fish (Tsumetai nettaigyo) English-subtitled theatrical trailer

Sion Sono makes ugly films! BUT, they continue to be incredibly entertaining. I want this.

Also,
Cannes winner Uncle Boonmee panned by French film critics | Film | guardian.co.uk

some french guy said:
I am not one of those rhapsodising about this 'splendid epic' and this 'rare and extreme experience'. On the contrary, I consider it to be a work that never goes beyond the theoretical intentions of the director and which uses dramatic arbitrariness as an artistic posture.

Hah! I love it.

I haven't read the novel, no. It seems like something I would like though. I've just heard great things about the film and the people involved. The trailer looks fantastic, good buzz etc etc. As for The Road, I think it's been more than discussed enough on here already, but I think you're a bit generous. Perhaps "translate the all the descriptive strokes and plot" to the screen is more appropriate. I thought it was a perfectly adequate film, but as you suggested, it completely missed the essence of the novel, which lies of course in the particulars of the prose. If an artist can manage to translate that from one medium to another, it likely won't be in an expected way either and will probably get shit for a particular lack of faithfulness or whatever. But aaaaaanyway, since someone brought up The Road I always like to take the opportunity to plug Michael Haneke's Time of the Wolf. Essentially the film The Road desperately wanted to be, and it came out back in 2003 or so.

That's actually the one Haneke film that I've wanted to see for a long time, so now that you've brought it up, I'll throw it up on the queue. That said, I still think The Road contains a great performance from Mortensen, and damn if it didn't look exactly like how I pictured it, possibly the closest adaptation visually to any novel, for me in my head anyway.

As for NLMG, READ IT!!!

Just spend 20 minutes talking to Pete Campbell from Mad Men outside the dive bar across from my house. Mofo tried to pull rank on me about the old days and didn't believe me when I told him my age. He had a pretty quick wit but of course I was pulling my own weight and his friend at one point had to give me some props.

Anyway, cool guys. "Vince" and co. bailed before 1:00am though, not real troopers.

If you didn't ask him what kissing Alison Brie is like, you have failed miserably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom