RAM question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elevatedmole

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Can anyone tell me how to check how much RAM I have available? I know how to check about how much space left on each drive and such, but not RAM.

Control Panel, System, Hardware Profiles (I THINK! :rolleyes: )
I think you can find it somewhere in there, depending on what Windows you have (if you have Windows..) I have XP, so I'm not sure it's the same on 98. On XP, you do Control Panel, Performance/Maintenance, System, and should find it somewhere in there.
Hope this helps, even though it's likely it didn't ;)

u2er said:
Control Panel, System, Hardware Profiles (I THINK! :rolleyes: )
I think you can find it somewhere in there, depending on what Windows you have (if you have Windows..) I have XP, so I'm not sure it's the same on 98. On XP, you do Control Panel, Performance/Maintenance, System, and should find it somewhere in there.
Hope this helps, even though it's likely it didn't ;)

Well, I DID find what you were talking about.. only problem: it just says how much RAM I have total, not available. Argh.

depending on what version of windows you have this is in different places.

Windows 2000 (& other NT-based systems I presume)
do ctrl-alt-del and choose task manager and select the performance tab, this gives cpu and memory usage levels (you can also get to this by right-clicking on the tasbar and selecting task manager)

Windows 95 & variants (98, ME)
This isnt included on task manager, but you can find the same info from Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Resource Meter (I think) - if you cant find that you will need to install it from your windows cd, go to Control Panel>Add/Rem. Programs - Windows Setup Tab, and its under accessories again.

Norton Utilities and similar utils packages also give you more of these kind of meters.
Its debatable whether memory usage can actually give you useful info, as there's a school of though that says free RAM is wasted RAM, so if you have loads of free RAM your computer might not run quicker than if you have very little. this is different from system Resources which does have an impact on your computer's performance.

Hope that helps, knowing me, it probably just confused you more :p

I was being lazy cuz I did not want to write it all out, that is why I asked, but the non lazy person was nice enough to write it all out. :cool:

cloudimani said:
depending on what version of windows you have this is in different places.

Windows 2000 (& other NT-based systems I presume)
do ctrl-alt-del and choose task manager and select the performance tab, this gives cpu and memory usage levels (you can also get to this by right-clicking on the tasbar and selecting task manager)

Windows 95 & variants (98, ME)
This isnt included on task manager, but you can find the same info from Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Resource Meter (I think) - if you cant find that you will need to install it from your windows cd, go to Control Panel>Add/Rem. Programs - Windows Setup Tab, and its under accessories again.

Norton Utilities and similar utils packages also give you more of these kind of meters.
Its debatable whether memory usage can actually give you useful info, as there's a school of though that says free RAM is wasted RAM, so if you have loads of free RAM your computer might not run quicker than if you have very little. this is different from system Resources which does have an impact on your computer's performance.

Hope that helps, knowing me, it probably just confused you more :p

Thanks Cloudimani. :) It all worked fine and I found it -- only problem: it lists how much is left of System Resources, User Resources, and GDI Resources. I am somewhat computer illiterate (at least in some areas) but is there anything I'm missing? :huh: I don't see anything about RAM. Agh. I need to take computer classes.

er its been a little while since I've used those windows versions, I think there's another program in the same place called System Monitor has more information on CPU load Mem usage that kind of thing.

Guessing here really, but i'm pretty sure one of them shows Memory.
As I said though, the resource meters might actually be a little more meanigful...

To the best of my knowledge here's what the meters mean, though usually if one is low, they're all pretty low...
System Resources - basically what it says, what resources the operating system has available, usually to run programs etc.
User Resources - the amount of resources available to the user, more for things like your data, than the actual programs
GDI Stands for Graphical Display Interface to the best of my knowledge, so this is the amount of resources available to render the image on the screen properly, you might have seen sometimes when you have a lot of program open that some programs dont look quite right, could be a lack of GDI resources.

Hope this helps in some way, probably someone will come in and tell me I'm quite hopelessly wrong, but oh well :)

Back
Top Bottom