Raise "The Alarm": Aging Rockers Pose as Teenagers to Hit Charts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theSoulfulMofo

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Aging Rockers Pose as Teenagers to Hit Charts

Fri Feb 20, 8:35 AM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - An aging UK rock group gave themselves a facelift by getting a group of teenagers to stand in for them on the video of their latest song, helping them score their first chart hit for some 15 years.

Convinced the music industry is prejudiced against wrinkly rockers, The Alarm gave themselves the pseudonym The Poppyfields and persuaded a group of fresh-faced youths to mime their part.

"They did it to show they wanted to be judged on music and not on their image and haircuts of 15 years ago," said a spokesman for the band.

The single, 45RPM, went into the UK charts this week at number 28.

The Welsh band were previously best known for 1983 hit "68 guns" and said they pulled the stunt to show how much image affected sales in the music industry.

Last edited:
:laugh:

i could have sworn i'd heard of a band called the alarm...but i think i'm wrong.

That's funny, yet pretty sad truthfully.

Mainstream music is so much about image these days. Video really has killed the radio star, and that sucks.

"The Alarm" from what I've heard... was an old band from the 80s who wanted to model themselves after U2... the music, the political stance.

Their songs are pretty catchy. I caught them on Vh1 Bands Reunited.

The Alarm were good. They didn't really copy U2, they just have that U2 War era sound, and never left it. If you ask me, and nobody does, sounding like War era U2 is pretty damn good.

war era u2 is good

so sounding like them can't be bad

now i wonder if i've just heard of them and not heard them

my brain sucks tonight

:confused: Didn't New Order do something similar with the video Crystal? Ppsing young people in their place?

I remember watching that, thinking "wait a minute, New Order has been around for a while, right? how come they're so young?"

U2girl said:
:confused: Didn't New Order do something similar with the video Crystal? Ppsing young people in their place?

I remember watching that, thinking "wait a minute, New Order has been around for a while, right? how come they're so young?"

I did the same thing when I saw that video. :der:

I sort of remember seeing a video or two by the Alarm on MTV back in the '80s. I'm now a VH1 Classic addict, and they play quite a few Alarm videos. They model themselves after U2 more than any band I've ever heard. I think they even have a video that was shot out in the snow, like New Year's Day!

As far as their latest video, kudos to them for making an important point! I hope it wakes a few people up. :up:

The thing is that this really isnt the Alarm IMO. Its basically the lead singer Mike Peters with 3 other musicians calling themselves the Alarm. It would be like Bono making an album and touring with 3 different musicians and calling it U2. Not the same.

They were a good band though. 68 Guns, Blaze Of Glory and Rain In The Summertime are all great songs. Mike Peters is also the person that introduced Bono to playing Knockin On Heavens Door when they toured with U2 on the War tour.

Good lads. I've seen The Alarm more times than any other band! Back in 84-88 i saw them all over the country and had a fantastic time of it. Great atmosphere at the gigs and just very emotional..real heart on the sleeves stuff. The Alarm wanted to be the Clash more than U2 and that's the image that everyone has of them..1983...68 guns..massive hair..top stuff. They supported U2 on numerous gigs on the War tour and even at Cardiff Arms Park in '87. Mike Peters has made good use of the internet to keep rockin' and rollin' and formed the Alarm 2000 to go out and play the old catalogue. goto ..www.mikepetersweb.com for more

Last edited:
Saw them in 1986 at the UMASS fine arts center (IWB should know the place), it was one of the 2 loudest shows I've ever attended. Sound guy had it set for a football field, my ears rang for days after. Otherwise an excellent show.

Bunbury said:
band modeling itself as U2= no win:no:
Look at what happen to The Simple Minds

First of, its not "THE" Simple Minds. Its just Simple Minds. Second, Simple Minds are still fairly popular in Europe and were VERY popular in Europe through the 90's. They still make some great music and are excellent live. So I have NO clue what you are talking about. What happened to them? They still tour and play decent sized venues in Europe. Another thing that alot of people dont realize is that alot of their material sounded like U2 material, BEFORE U2 did it. Everyone says that Ghostdancing by SM sounds like Streets and the guitar is similiar. Problem is, SM recorded Ghostdancing 2 years before the Joshua Tree!! Hmm.

I just dont think it is fair to compare all bands to U2. U2 have enjoyed a level of success greater than almost all artists. So to put SM or even The Alarm up against them really isnt even a fair comparison. Then for some to cut on those bands because they are not on the same popularity level as U2 is ridiculous. Few bands are, doesnt mean those that are not are shit.

MrBrau1 said:
The Alarm were good. They didn't really copy U2, they just have that U2 War era sound, and never left it. If you ask me, and nobody does, sounding like War era U2 is pretty damn good.

Yeah, that's certainly not a bad thing.

Heh, I'm just getting into that band-I really love the stuff I've heard by them so far. And I think this story's pretty funny. But it's a good idea.

Angela

Blue Room said:
The thing is that this really isnt the Alarm IMO. Its basically the lead singer Mike Peters with 3 other musicians calling themselves the Alarm. It would be like Bono making an album and touring with 3 different musicians and calling it U2. Not the same.

Mike peter and his mates are still rocking though, i did see them two weeks ago. :up:

Mike peters solo is also very good, i did see him a couple of times as suport act on the Big Country "farewell tour "

Back
Top Bottom