"radiohead's next album" countdown and anticipation thread - part ii

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
FitzChivalry said:
And, this being Fitz, OF COURSE:

Quiet! I'm trying to fill a whole page with only my posts! :angry:

j/k :wink:

The Amazing Sounds Of Orgy might make my man LMP orgasm but it doesn't do much for me. It does sound interesting though, in parts.

Trans Atlantic Drawl is mostly terrible and unnecessarily noisy but at least it's got a cool as heck bass line going for it.

Permanent Daylight is cool I agree, xavi. The music is cool but once (yet) again I cannot understand anything he's singing. That kinda takes the fun away from a song. :sigh:

Zootlesque said:
Permanent Daylight is cool I agree, xavi. The music is cool but once (yet) again I cannot understand anything he's singing. That kinda takes the fun away from a song. :sigh:

its their tribute to Sonic Youth, its awesome:combust:

xaviMF22 said:
conclusion= Radiohead's B Sides pwn :wink:

Zootlesque said:
Paperbag Writer is boring

Zootlesque said:
Stupid Car was totally unmemorable. Stupid, really.

Zootlesque said:
We Suck Young Blood (Thom Yorke Mix) is total garbage! It's even worse than the original song if that is possible.

Zootlesque said:
Coke Babies is forgettable.

Zootlesque said:
Fast Track is bloody awful. Is this even "the band" Radiohead? :tsk:

Zootlesque said:
Trans Atlantic Drawl is mostly terrible and unnecessarily noisy but at least it's got a cool as heck bass line going for it.

:hmm: Somehow I doubt that's the conclusion. :eyebrow:

:wink:

xaviMF22 said:

that Let down interpretation is so wrong:tsk:

It's a fascinating read anyway...I don't agree with all of it either, especially the Karma Police interpretation, but a good portion is dead-on. :yes:

Fitter, happier
More productive
Comfortable
Not drinking too much
Regular exercise at the gym
3 days a week
Getting on better with your associate employee contemporaries
At ease
Eating well
No more microwave dinners and saturated fats
A patient better driver
A safer car
Baby smiling in back seat
Sleeping well
No bad dreams
No paranoia
Careful to all animals
Never washing spiders down the plughole
Keep in contact with old friends
Enjoy a drink now and then
Will frequently check credit at moral bank
Hole in wall
Favors for favors
Fond but not in love
Charity standing orders
On sundays, ring road supermarket
No killing moths or putting boiling water on the ants
Car wash
Also on sundays
No longer afraid of the dark or midday shadows
Nothing so ridiculously teenage and desperate nothing so childish
At a better pace
Slower and more calculated
No chance of escape

Now self-employed
Concerned, but powerless
An empowered and informed member of society
Pragmatism not idealism
Will not cry in public
Less chance of illness
Tires that grip in the wet
Shot of baby strapped in back seat
A good memory
Still cries at a good film
Still kisses with saliva
No longer empty and frantic
Like a cat tied to a stick
That's driven into frozen winter shit
The ability to laugh at weakness
Calm, fitter, healthier, and more productive
A pig in a cage on antibiotics

I can't believe anyone would skip this track. It is, simply, one of the most tragic songs ever written. It's cold, suffocating, sad, and entirely meaningful. Anything but garbage.

The lyrics are the reason this track is so great (although the music is a very important part of what makes the track work, with the creepy piano loop and the random sound effects). I bolded my favorite lines, but the meaning of the track isn't hard to figure out:

It's the ideal that fails to work out properly in real life.

It's a computer that fails to even be perfect (which is why I believe it is considered simply "OK" ), telling you how to live your life as easily and safely as possible, but in the process you lose the imperfections that make you human. Eventually, the positive advice begins to turn dark and the computer eats its own tail, because, though the advice may work for something that is closer to perfection, the human mind cannot handle such an effort towards greatness without breaking down. And simple human relationships can't survive it either. I love how the picture of a "baby smiling in backseat" later becomes a "shot of baby strapped in backseat". Pretty grim.

The destiny of a man obsessed with perfection and success is perfectly summarized with the final line:

A pig. In a cage. On antibiotics.

I skip it not because I don't appreciate it but because repeated listenings don't do anything for me. I'm glad it's there, I just don't need to hear it everytime I listen to Ok Computer. :shrug:

I'm a huge fan of Fittier Happier, so I might be biased in my defence of the song.

As much as I enjoy the lyrics, I also am very fond of the sounds and the music that is layered behind the vocal. It just sounds so so appropriate, as well as nice...

I got up to Let Down last night, and Let Down I quite enjoyed but that was about it so far. I can't even tell what I'm listening to, there's 70 million different sounds for every second :crazy:

COBL_04 said:
I got up to Let Down last night, and Let Down I quite enjoyed but that was about it so far. I can't even tell what I'm listening to, there's 70 million different sounds for every second :crazy:

Yes. OK Computer, Kid A, Zooropa, Pop... they're all like that, interesting and challenging, inviting the listener on a journey where you keep discovering new sounds as you peel thru the various layers. :wink:

COBL_04 said:

let down is such an amazing song

the crescendo is amazing....those two Thom vocals are :drool:

such a happy song :wink:

I might be wrong
I might be wrong
I could've sworn I saw a light coming on

I used to think
I used to think
There was no future left at all
I used to think

Open up, begin again
Let's go down the waterfall
Think about the good times and never look back
Never look back

What would I do?
What would I do?
If I did not have you

Open up and let me in
Let's go down the waterfall
Have ourselves a good time, it's nothing at all
It's nothing at all
Nothing at all

Never look back
Never look back

could i might be wrong be radiohead's most antidepressing song ever?

i think so too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom