"radiohead's next album" countdown and anticipation thread - part ii

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Achtung Baby is REALLY overrated.

Still good though. It was my first actual U2 album, and I've heard it 70/80 times, so I'm numb to it now.

AB and Bends should have a fist fight for ultimate supremacy: two borderline great albums going at it.

The first three on JT are really overrated. Everything after that is what makes it a classic.

I think we'll all come to an agreement faster with the Radiohead trinity instead of U2's.

The Bends
OK Computer
Kid A

:wink:

LemonMelon said:
The first three on JT are really overrated.

Overrated or overplayed and overhyped? Because I truly think WTSHNN and WOWY are great songs, that have just been played and hyped to death. ISHFWILF is a good song, but not great.

But I do think there is a difference between overrated and overhyped.

Zootlesque said:
I think we'll all come to an agreement faster with the Radiohead trinity instead of U2's.

The Bends
OK Computer
Kid A

:wink:

Yeah, because the rest are good/average. :shrug:

FitzChivalry said:
I truly think WTSHNN and WOWY are great songs, that have just been played and hyped to death. ISHFWILF is a good song, but not great.

I used to have the exact same opinion. But ISHFWILF re-grew on me. It is such a classic, starting from the swirly guitar intro to Bono's "I have climbed the hiiiiighest mountains..." :combust: all the way to the end.

FitzChivalry said:

Overrated or overplayed and overhyped? Because I truly think WTSHNN and WOWY are great songs, that have just been played and hyped to death. ISHFWILF is a good song, but not great.

But I do think there is a difference between overrated and overhyped.

I've never liked WOWY all that much. It's relaxed, but it's the most overrated/hyped of the three. Streets is good, but comes to life when played live, and ISHFWILF is my favorite of them. I really like that one.

But it's all about 5-9. Every song in that stretch is perfect. And I mean EVERY song.

LemonMelon said:

Uh...can you tell me why, please?

something about it irritates me :mad:

I always tend to skip this song...even thinking about it makes me want to... :mad:

*Heartland* should have taken its place
that would have made the joshua tree :drool: :drool:

My case for The Bends over OK Computer:

- Less depressing overall... happy balance of joy and sadness

- More consistent... great songs from start to finish, no slight dip in quality after song 6 :wink:

- Cos it has Fake Plastic Trees, Nice Dream and Bulletproof :combust:

Okay scrap the last one.... personal pref ;)

xaviMF22 said:

something about it irritates me :mad:

I always tend to skip this song...even thinking about it makes me want to... :mad:

*Heartland* should have taken its place
that would have made the joshua tree :drool: :drool:

Trip is the perfect song for its place on the record. The song is so natural, so fun. The lyrics are rock solid. Think about the songs that surround it; Trip is a natural piece of the puzzle...the song that keeps the album from sinking under due to its own seriousness.

Gosh, JT would have been so boring and sullen had they not included Trip. Good call, Edge.

Zootlesque said:
My case for The Bends over OK Computer:

- More consistent... great songs from start to finish, no slight dip in quality after song 6 :wink:

The Bends
dips in quality on track 11 other than that incredible album

but is it better than the OKC ?

it doesn't have "Let Down" or "The Tourist" therefore NO!...:p

"Let Down" :drool: :drool:

My case for OKC over the Bends:

1. Has more life/energy in it.

2. More variety.

3. Has a genius lyrical thread/theme running through it. Bends has "I used to fly like Peter Pan".

4. Better instrumentation by far; I'm not sure if Bends-era Radiohead could have recorded a solo as awesome as Paranoid Android's.

5. Better sequencing. High And Dry--->Fake Plastic Trees is a disgrace.

6. Less filler.

7. OKC has SHA on it, and Bends doesn't. That's the wild card.

8. Personal preference. :wink:

xaviMF22 said:
The Bends
dips in quality on track 11 other than that incredible album

but is it better than the OKC ?

it doesn't have "Let Down" or "The Tourist" therefore NO!...:p

:lol:

Btw, I see what you say about Let Down. It really IS a feel good track! I just feel euphoric when I listen to it. How ironic!

But anyway, Black Star gives me that same euphoric feeling. And Street Spirit is as good a closer as The Tourist IMO.

Zootlesque said:

I don't see even one track on The Bends that qualifies as filler. :tongue:

Bones + Sulk

I like them both, but they're filler. High And Dry was put on for sales only; the band hates it.

Zootlesque said:

:lol:

Btw, I see what you say about Let Down. It really IS a feel good track! I just feel euphoric when I listen to it. How ironic!

Tell that to LemonMelon:tsk:

that track is so fucking joyous...the crescendo is incredible

"you know where you are with" bitches...:drool: :drool:

Zootlesque said:

I just feel euphoric when I listen to it.

That's how I feel about "Sulk". It's a song that has such a release! I love it!

And Street Spirit is as good a closer as The Tourist IMO.

And Street Spirit and The Tourist are miles, miles, MILES better closers than Motion Picture Soundtrack!!!! That's right! :madspit:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom