"radiohead's lp7": countdown and anticipation thread - part iii - Page 37 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2007, 12:14 PM   #541
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
Wikipedia isn't exactly the gospel, considering it is written and edited by whoever feels like it. The entry claims that Jonny Greenwood said that it would be available in regular CD format early 2008. Unfortunately, the article cited as the source for that statement doesn't even have a quote from Greenwood, or say anything about a normal release:

http://www.thelondonpaper.com/cs/Sat...icleController

Also, don't you think the band would disclose a future third option on their website? I don't think they would hide that from their fans, especially if they're talking to journalists about it.
The source for Wikipedia in this case is the NME, which still isn't the gospel truth, but at least it can't be written and edited by everybody. And to be fair, releasing a regular cd would probably be the logical thing to do.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:15 PM   #542
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:56 AM
lazarus:

Like I said, $80 is pretty steep, and is really more than anyone should be willing to pay for a new album. I'm not saying it isn't. But leave it up to the hardcore fans (read: suckers) to make up their own mind what they want to spend. Most of them aren't complete idiots, and they know that they're spending a whole lot of money for essentially 18 songs. So let them download it for $1 and be more than happy, which I'm sure the majority of fans and casual fans alike are going to choose to do. I've bought overpriced music and DVD's before and will continue to do so in the future (Com_Lag anyone? And I'll be the first in line to buy the Ultimate Edition Bladerunner DVD set this December). But I know what I'm buying, as does everyone else choosing to buy the set.

I guess I'm just saying, I don't understand making a big fuss over it. If they were just doing the digital download for a "choose your own price" I doubt anyone would be making a big deal outside of the real "suckers" who want a little artbook so badly they'd spend $80 on the discbox for all the wrong reasons.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:21 PM   #543
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
It's interesting how U2 sometimes get accused of screwing over the die hards for the casual fan, but when Radiohead do it, they get praises of "innovative", "brave", "a big F U to the record industry", etc...

It's quite funny.
I really dont see how this is screwing anybody?

I mean you download the album for free
Old 10-01-2007, 12:30 PM   #544
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth

The source for Wikipedia in this case is the NME, which still isn't the gospel truth, but at least it can't be written and edited by everybody. And to be fair, releasing a regular cd would probably be the logical thing to do.
Uhh, are you the one editing that article, Teeth? Because that thing has been CHANGED since I looked at it before my last post. The line about Greenwood mentioning the nomal release in early '08 is completely gone now, and I can't find the quote in any of the footnote NME articles.

This would appear to illustrate that the information is no longer accurate.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:36 PM   #545
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
lazarus:

Like I said, $80 is pretty steep, and is really more than anyone should be willing to pay for a new album. I'm not saying it isn't. But leave it up to the hardcore fans (read: suckers) to make up their own mind what they want to spend. Most of them aren't complete idiots, and they know that they're spending a whole lot of money for essentially 18 songs. So let them download it for $1 and be more than happy, which I'm sure the majority of fans and casual fans alike are going to choose to do. I've bought overpriced music and DVD's before and will continue to do so in the future (Com_Lag anyone? And I'll be the first in line to buy the Ultimate Edition Bladerunner DVD set this December). But I know what I'm buying, as does everyone else choosing to buy the set.

I guess I'm just saying, I don't understand making a big fuss over it. If they were just doing the digital download for a "choose your own price" I doubt anyone would be making a big deal outside of the real "suckers" who want a little artbook so badly they'd spend $80 on the discbox for all the wrong reasons.
exaclty no one is forcing you to blow 80 bucks for the bonus discbox

The real CD...the real LP7 is eseentially free
Old 10-01-2007, 12:40 PM   #546
Blue Crack Supplier

Lance & xavi: I don't know that they're necessarily "screwing" anyone, because it's not like you can't get the music for cheap, but I just think it's weird to only have these two options. You either pay peanuts for the material in its purest form, or you pay out the ass for all this extraneous material. Let's be objective here--there's no real reason to have something on vinyl and CD aside from the fetish aspect of it. If you really think vinyl sounds so superior (which at this point is a total load of B.S.), you wouldn't want a CD anyway. I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying that an overwhelming majority (like 95+%) would prefer just the CDs and the book without the vinyl, and would happily have paid $40 for it.

So why not have this middle option? It just doesn't make any sense to me. It's like you can't just be a really huge fan, you have to be the type of fan that will pay any amount without reservation for any kind of bullshit extra that's offered, which to me is a sycophant.

Not only are they trying to eliminate the record label aspect from the process, but it appears that they're trying to eliminate the whole joy of sitting around with an insert and delving into the experience with the words and artwork, which is something that's long been a big part of their music. Because unless you've got a large chunk of change to spare (most people CAN'T afford this, you are aware of that, right?), you're not going to have this opportunity.

When one can buy 7 or so albums for what they're charging, it's as if they want you to spend the money on them, and no one else.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:55 PM   #547
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
sorry if this comes off as rude, but chill out xavi you sound like a drooling sycophant.
Come on, don't say stuff like that...because then I have to parade in here and inform you how you are breaking the rules by being sassy like that to someone...which you surely already know...and then I look mean, and everybody hates me, and it would just be so much nicer to not go down that route. Heaven, I need a hug.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 10-01-2007, 01:11 PM   #548
The Male

I was busy all weekend and missed the fun!

Now.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:12 PM   #549
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon
I was busy all weekend and missed the fun!
So did I

I'm not sure how much fun it was though
Old 10-01-2007, 01:14 PM   #550
The Male

I....I don't know what to say. I'm incredibly happy, but incredibly pissed off that I can't get anything to work.

Now.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:24 PM   #551
The Male

Here's what I'm going to do.

1. Wait until October 10th

2. Go to http://blogsearch.google.com/

3. Download the leak some sap put on the net for free

4. Buy the CD version of the album when it comes out next year

Yeah, bitches.

EDIT: forgot to add in a step between 3 and 4 wherein I drool all over myself.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:29 PM   #552
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:56 AM
I ordered the download but due to the lovely rainbow colored screen it's impossible to read anything on the confirmation page, including the confirmation number. Brilliant. Still waiting for the email confirmation.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:32 PM   #553
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Lance & xavi: I don't know that they're necessarily "screwing" anyone, because it's not like you can't get the music for cheap, but I just think it's weird to only have these two options. You either pay peanuts for the material in its purest form, or you pay out the ass for all this extraneous material. Let's be objective here--there's no real reason to have something on vinyl and CD aside from the fetish aspect of it. If you really think vinyl sounds so superior (which at this point is a total load of B.S.), you wouldn't want a CD anyway. I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying that an overwhelming majority (like 95+%) would prefer just the CDs and the book without the vinyl, and would happily have paid $40 for it.

So why not have this middle option? It just doesn't make any sense to me. It's like you can't just be a really huge fan, you have to be the type of fan that will pay any amount without reservation for any kind of bullshit extra that's offered, which to me is a sycophant.

Not only are they trying to eliminate the record label aspect from the process, but it appears that they're trying to eliminate the whole joy of sitting around with an insert and delving into the experience with the words and artwork, which is something that's long been a big part of their music. Because unless you've got a large chunk of change to spare (most people CAN'T afford this, you are aware of that, right?), you're not going to have this opportunity.

When one can buy 7 or so albums for what they're charging, it's as if they want you to spend the money on them, and no one else.

ok...as mentioned already the regular release at a normal price will be available next year. go back a page or two...<<<
Old 10-01-2007, 01:41 PM   #554
Blue Crack Addict

new DAS update from Jonny:

Nightclub
Just to let you know - mel called to say that w.a.s.t.e are working on the current gear-grinding at inrainbows.com....it's getting busy in there - busier than they expected.

So if you please bear with us, it should get cleared out soon. I sound like a bouncer. Get behind the rope. No denim. Thanks for your patience with the site & interest in the record.

Jonny

Old 10-01-2007, 01:47 PM   #555
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Fanatic4ever

ok...as mentioned already the regular release at a normal price will be available next year. go back a page or two...<<<
Excuse me, but have YOU been reading the last page or two? Because I have yet to see where that's been verified. The only place it was mentioned was on Wikipedia, and now it's missing from there too. Jonny's update doesn't mention anything specific anyway.