"radiohead's lp7": countdown and anticipation thread - part iii - Page 36 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2007, 03:28 AM   #526
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:09 AM
Wow. Consider me clusterfucked.

In an amazing way of course.

This quite literally made my month...maybe even year. $80 is pretty steep, but I'll happily pay it. Radiohead are one of the best and most admirable bands on the planet, from both a musical and business standpoint. I've been saying they should release and distribute this album on their own since they ended their EMI contract way long ago.

But like I said, $80 (including postage) for dual vinyl, 2 cd's, some kickass packaging and a digital download in 10 days for a new Radiohead album I've been waiting years for.... I've got no qualms.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:29 AM   #527
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
Wow. Consider me clusterfucked.

In an amazing way of course.

This quite literally made my month...maybe even year. $80 is pretty steep, but I'll happily pay it. Radiohead are one of the best and most admirable bands on the planet, from both a musical and business standpoint. I've been saying they should release and distribute this album on their own since they ended their EMI contract way long ago.

But like I said, $80 (including postage) for dual vinyl, 2 cd's, some kickass packaging and a digital download in 10 days for a new Radiohead album I've been waiting years for.... I've got no qualms.
QFTMFT

Old 10-01-2007, 05:21 AM   #528
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:09 PM
So If I just want to rock up to Jb HiFi and buy the album as a sane, normal 90's person, how much will it cost me?

Normal double album price of around $25-30AUD?

Downloading is for slackers.....that's why Radiohead have embraced it.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:05 AM   #529
War Child

Local Time: 05:09 AM
i wonder if the title refers to the relationship between musical notes and the spectrum
Old 10-01-2007, 07:23 AM   #530
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:09 AM
10 days wow.....I am so not totally completely excited...
Old 10-01-2007, 10:10 AM   #531
War Child

Local Time: 05:09 AM
new Radiohead

I hope they release a cd version eventually. Call me old fashioned but I like getting the artwork and physical cd.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:22 AM   #532
War Child

Local Time: 12:09 AM
Much respect to Radiohead for giving a big Fuck You to the music industry...
Old 10-01-2007, 10:42 AM   #533
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/technol.../radiohead.htm

Great article.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:48 AM   #534
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:09 PM
The good news is that even if they decide not to release it the normal way--and they really can't for a while after taking $80 from all these hardcore fans (read: suckers), someone's going to scan all the artwork and lyrics and you'll be able to print it up yourself and have something physical you can call your own.

I used to buy the R.E.M. limited editions of their albums, from Out of Time through Up (having the regular edition of Reveal is bad enough, and I couldn't bring myself to buy Around the Sun in any format), and I would make copies of the artwork and fashion a regular jewel case insert so I had something smaller to carry around, so I look forward to another little home project in December.

I'm curious, Lance, you have no qualms about paying $80, so are you telling me that if it was $40 or $50 you'd be saying "Holy shit! They're practically GIVING this away!" ?? Because at that price I'd say to myself, yeah that seems pretty fair. I mean, let's break it down. A double CD sells at the standard big box stores like Best Buy or Target for $14.99 or so. It's never double the price of an actual CD. Some bands don't charge you the extra amount at all for a bonus disc (the last two Spoon albums, for example). Then you have the double vinyl. Okay, it's more of a novelty now, so let's say $20 for the sake of argument. Now you're up to $35. Then you have the hardback book & slipcaset (the "limited edition part") which contain the lyrics and art, which usually runs an extra $10-$15 over album price. That still only comes to about $50. What's the extra $30 for? Shipping? And the people closer to or in the UK have to pay just as much? There's the digital download but as you can only pay $1 for it if you want you can't really tack that on either.

It doesn't add up.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:03 AM   #535
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by MaxFisher
new Radiohead

I hope they release a cd version eventually. Call me old fashioned but I like getting the artwork and physical cd.
I was annoyed at this release at first, until I read on Wikipedia that a regular release is scheduled for early 2008. The box is too expensive for me, and I also like a regular cd with artwork.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:08 AM   #536
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
The good news is that even if they decide not to release it the normal way--and they really can't for a while after taking $80 from all these hardcore fans (read: suckers), someone's going to scan all the artwork and lyrics and you'll be able to print it up yourself and have something physical you can call your own.

I used to buy the R.E.M. limited editions of their albums, from Out of Time through Up (having the regular edition of Reveal is bad enough, and I couldn't bring myself to buy Around the Sun in any format), and I would make copies of the artwork and fashion a regular jewel case insert so I had something smaller to carry around, so I look forward to another little home project in December.

I'm curious, Lance, you have no qualms about paying $80, so are you telling me that if it was $40 or $50 you'd be saying "Holy shit! They're practically GIVING this away!" ?? Because at that price I'd say to myself, yeah that seems pretty fair. I mean, let's break it down. A double CD sells at the standard big box stores like Best Buy or Target for $14.99 or so. It's never double the price of an actual CD. Some bands don't charge you the extra amount at all for a bonus disc (the last two Spoon albums, for example). Then you have the double vinyl. Okay, it's more of a novelty now, so let's say $20 for the sake of argument. Now you're up to $35. Then you have the hardback book & slipcaset (the "limited edition part") which contain the lyrics and art, which usually runs an extra $10-$15 over album price. That still only comes to about $50. What's the extra $30 for? Shipping? And the people closer to or in the UK have to pay just as much? There's the digital download but as you can only pay $1 for it if you want you can't really tack that on either.

It doesn't add up.
read Dr. Teeth's most recent post.. a regular release is coming just not till next year.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:26 AM   #537
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth

I was annoyed at this release at first, until I read on Wikipedia that a regular release is scheduled for early 2008. The box is too expensive for me, and I also like a regular cd with artwork.
Thats all I needed to hear
Old 10-01-2007, 11:43 AM   #538
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:09 PM
It's interesting how U2 sometimes get accused of screwing over the die hards for the casual fan, but when Radiohead do it, they get praises of "innovative", "brave", "a big F U to the record industry", etc...

It's quite funny.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:52 AM   #539
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus

It doesn't add up.
Down is the new up?

The "pay what you want" factor easily balances the cost of the box set, in my mind.

Looks like the music industry as we know it has officially be shaken! When does the tour start?
Old 10-01-2007, 11:59 AM   #540
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:09 PM
Wikipedia isn't exactly the gospel, considering it is written and edited by whoever feels like it. The entry claims that Jonny Greenwood said that it would be available in regular CD format early 2008. Unfortunately, the article cited as the source for that statement doesn't even have a quote from Greenwood, or say anything about a normal release:

http://www.thelondonpaper.com/cs/Sat...icleController

Also, don't you think the band would disclose a future third option on their website? I don't think they would hide that from their fans, especially if they're talking to journalists about it.