"radiohead's lp7": countdown and anticipation thread - part iii - Page 36 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-01-2007, 03:28 AM   #526
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,664
Local Time: 01:09 AM
Wow. Consider me clusterfucked.

In an amazing way of course.

This quite literally made my month...maybe even year. $80 is pretty steep, but I'll happily pay it. Radiohead are one of the best and most admirable bands on the planet, from both a musical and business standpoint. I've been saying they should release and distribute this album on their own since they ended their EMI contract way long ago.

But like I said, $80 (including postage) for dual vinyl, 2 cd's, some kickass packaging and a digital download in 10 days for a new Radiohead album I've been waiting years for.... I've got no qualms.
__________________

__________________
Lancemc is offline  
Old 10-01-2007, 03:29 AM   #527
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
xaviMF22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: In haunted attics
Posts: 7,091
Local Time: 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
Wow. Consider me clusterfucked.

In an amazing way of course.

This quite literally made my month...maybe even year. $80 is pretty steep, but I'll happily pay it. Radiohead are one of the best and most admirable bands on the planet, from both a musical and business standpoint. I've been saying they should release and distribute this album on their own since they ended their EMI contract way long ago.

But like I said, $80 (including postage) for dual vinyl, 2 cd's, some kickass packaging and a digital download in 10 days for a new Radiohead album I've been waiting years for.... I've got no qualms.
QFTMFT
__________________

__________________
xaviMF22 is offline  
Old 10-01-2007, 05:21 AM   #528
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
intedomine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7,947
Local Time: 03:09 PM
So If I just want to rock up to Jb HiFi and buy the album as a sane, normal 90's person, how much will it cost me?

Normal double album price of around $25-30AUD?

Downloading is for slackers.....that's why Radiohead have embraced it.
__________________
intedomine is offline  
Old 10-01-2007, 06:05 AM   #529
War Child
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: gulf coast
Posts: 990
Local Time: 05:09 AM
i wonder if the title refers to the relationship between musical notes and the spectrum
__________________
t8thgr8 is offline  
Old 10-01-2007, 07:23 AM   #530
Blue Crack Addict
 
Irishteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 29,624
Local Time: 06:09 AM
10 days wow.....I am so not totally completely excited...
__________________
Irishteen is offline  
Old 10-01-2007, 10:10 AM   #531
War Child
 
MaxFisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 776
Local Time: 05:09 AM
new Radiohead


I hope they release a cd version eventually. Call me old fashioned but I like getting the artwork and physical cd.
__________________
MaxFisher is offline  
Old 10-01-2007, 10:22 AM   #532
War Child
 
U2One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 707
Local Time: 12:09 AM
Much respect to Radiohead for giving a big Fuck You to the music industry...
__________________
U2One is offline  
Old 10-01-2007, 10:42 AM   #533
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
djerdap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 7,422
Local Time: 06:09 AM
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/technol.../radiohead.htm

Great article.
__________________
djerdap is offline  
Old 10-01-2007, 10:48 AM   #534
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 37,996
Local Time: 09:09 PM
The good news is that even if they decide not to release it the normal way--and they really can't for a while after taking $80 from all these hardcore fans (read: suckers), someone's going to scan all the artwork and lyrics and you'll be able to print it up yourself and have something physical you can call your own.

I used to buy the R.E.M. limited editions of their albums, from Out of Time through Up (having the regular edition of Reveal is bad enough, and I couldn't bring myself to buy Around the Sun in any format), and I would make copies of the artwork and fashion a regular jewel case insert so I had something smaller to carry around, so I look forward to another little home project in December.

I'm curious, Lance, you have no qualms about paying $80, so are you telling me that if it was $40 or $50 you'd be saying "Holy shit! They're practically GIVING this away!" ?? Because at that price I'd say to myself, yeah that seems pretty fair. I mean, let's break it down. A double CD sells at the standard big box stores like Best Buy or Target for $14.99 or so. It's never double the price of an actual CD. Some bands don't charge you the extra amount at all for a bonus disc (the last two Spoon albums, for example). Then you have the double vinyl. Okay, it's more of a novelty now, so let's say $20 for the sake of argument. Now you're up to $35. Then you have the hardback book & slipcaset (the "limited edition part") which contain the lyrics and art, which usually runs an extra $10-$15 over album price. That still only comes to about $50. What's the extra $30 for? Shipping? And the people closer to or in the UK have to pay just as much? There's the digital download but as you can only pay $1 for it if you want you can't really tack that on either.

It doesn't add up.
__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 10-01-2007, 11:03 AM   #535
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
DrTeeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Q continuum
Posts: 4,770
Local Time: 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MaxFisher
new Radiohead


I hope they release a cd version eventually. Call me old fashioned but I like getting the artwork and physical cd.
I was annoyed at this release at first, until I read on Wikipedia that a regular release is scheduled for early 2008. The box is too expensive for me, and I also like a regular cd with artwork.
__________________
DrTeeth is offline  
Old 10-01-2007, 11:08 AM   #536
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Fanatic4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: nowhere..........man
Posts: 20,254
Local Time: 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
The good news is that even if they decide not to release it the normal way--and they really can't for a while after taking $80 from all these hardcore fans (read: suckers), someone's going to scan all the artwork and lyrics and you'll be able to print it up yourself and have something physical you can call your own.

I used to buy the R.E.M. limited editions of their albums, from Out of Time through Up (having the regular edition of Reveal is bad enough, and I couldn't bring myself to buy Around the Sun in any format), and I would make copies of the artwork and fashion a regular jewel case insert so I had something smaller to carry around, so I look forward to another little home project in December.

I'm curious, Lance, you have no qualms about paying $80, so are you telling me that if it was $40 or $50 you'd be saying "Holy shit! They're practically GIVING this away!" ?? Because at that price I'd say to myself, yeah that seems pretty fair. I mean, let's break it down. A double CD sells at the standard big box stores like Best Buy or Target for $14.99 or so. It's never double the price of an actual CD. Some bands don't charge you the extra amount at all for a bonus disc (the last two Spoon albums, for example). Then you have the double vinyl. Okay, it's more of a novelty now, so let's say $20 for the sake of argument. Now you're up to $35. Then you have the hardback book & slipcaset (the "limited edition part") which contain the lyrics and art, which usually runs an extra $10-$15 over album price. That still only comes to about $50. What's the extra $30 for? Shipping? And the people closer to or in the UK have to pay just as much? There's the digital download but as you can only pay $1 for it if you want you can't really tack that on either.

It doesn't add up.
read Dr. Teeth's most recent post.. a regular release is coming just not till next year.
__________________
U2Fanatic4ever is offline  
Old 10-01-2007, 11:26 AM   #537
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,691
Local Time: 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth


I was annoyed at this release at first, until I read on Wikipedia that a regular release is scheduled for early 2008. The box is too expensive for me, and I also like a regular cd with artwork.
Thats all I needed to hear
__________________
elevated_u2_fan is offline  
Old 10-01-2007, 11:43 AM   #538
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,655
Local Time: 11:09 PM
It's interesting how U2 sometimes get accused of screwing over the die hards for the casual fan, but when Radiohead do it, they get praises of "innovative", "brave", "a big F U to the record industry", etc...

It's quite funny.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 10-01-2007, 11:52 AM   #539
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
angelordevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Inside a sound
Posts: 5,827
Local Time: 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus


It doesn't add up.
Down is the new up?

The "pay what you want" factor easily balances the cost of the box set, in my mind.

Looks like the music industry as we know it has officially be shaken! When does the tour start?
__________________
angelordevil is offline  
Old 10-01-2007, 11:59 AM   #540
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 37,996
Local Time: 09:09 PM
Wikipedia isn't exactly the gospel, considering it is written and edited by whoever feels like it. The entry claims that Jonny Greenwood said that it would be available in regular CD format early 2008. Unfortunately, the article cited as the source for that statement doesn't even have a quote from Greenwood, or say anything about a normal release:

http://www.thelondonpaper.com/cs/Sat...icleController

Also, don't you think the band would disclose a future third option on their website? I don't think they would hide that from their fans, especially if they're talking to journalists about it.
__________________

__________________
lazarus is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com