"radiohead's lp7": countdown and anticipation thread - part iii

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
xaviMF22 said:

both Noel and Liam are assholes

and part of the most overrated band ever :wink:

You're telling me.

It never ceases to amaze me, the credit these guys still get around here.

Whatever. The Verve is recording again, Blur might be getting back together, both will prove once again they have more talent than Oasis could ever dream of possessing.

Is it possible for a band to be overrated and underrated at the same time?

LemonMacPhisto said:

Absolutely...

Example: I think Radiohead are overrated for being an "against the establishment" band, but are underrated for their songs in many circles.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Yes. The Rolling Stones.

They've been going through the motions for so long it's a bit sad how they still seem to get a free pass on their new music every time. Look at the reviews for Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, Bridges to Babylon, A Bigger Bang. Upon the release of each album you hear "the best Stones album since Some Girls/Tattoo You/etc."

In this sense they're overrated because what they've been doing since the mid 70's is overwhelmingly crap, with the exception of the good odd single here and there. I mean, have you listened to Tattoo You all the way through recently? It's not very good. Yet they seem to keep dragging that "Best Rock and Roll Band in the World" crap like they're actually still earning it.

Anyway, they're underrated in that even big music fans haven't truly explored their discography the way they have with The Beatles. I think once you get into The Beatles, you get your hands on everything and get to know it all pretty quickly. And that's a testament to how good everything is and how distinct each song is. You can say the same thing with Zeppelin to a lesser extent. With the Stones, there's obviously much more material to slog through, and I think people buy the big 4 (Beggar's Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street), know all the old singles from the radio, and call it a day.

What I'm trying to say is that some of the lesser-known albums are really very underrated. Goat's Head Soup--great shit, with a handful of songs that are up there with the Stones' best work. It's Only Rock And Roll--not as consistent as the big classics, but again, a lot of good stuff. There are a whole lot of relatively unknown great Stones songs that you never hear on the radio, never hear people talk about, etc. So for that reason I think they're underrrated because they're unexplored.

B'oh! :sad: This may be more than I can bear...

*listens to RH bootlegs and cries myself to sleep*

Enough with the Oasis hate, they've got more integrity than anyone. They do whatever the hell they wanna do, and do it well, very well.

Radiohead and Oasis are different. I enjoy both.

Btw LM, thanks for posting those YouTubs clips! I'm, getting more psyched about this album as I watch those clips.

Last edited:
intedomine said:
Enough with the Oasis hate, they've got more integrity than anyone. They do whatever the hell they wanna do, and do it well, very well.

Well, I guess the "they do what ever the hell they wanna do" part is true.

1 out of 3 ain't bad.

lazarus said:

Yes. The Rolling Stones.

They've been going through the motions for so long it's a bit sad how they still seem to get a free pass on their new music every time. Look at the reviews for Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, Bridges to Babylon, A Bigger Bang. Upon the release of each album you hear "the best Stones album since Some Girls/Tattoo You/etc."

In this sense they're overrated because what they've been doing since the mid 70's is overwhelmingly crap, with the exception of the good odd single here and there. I mean, have you listened to Tattoo You all the way through recently? It's not very good. Yet they seem to keep dragging that "Best Rock and Roll Band in the World" crap like they're actually still earning it.

Anyway, they're underrated in that even big music fans haven't truly explored their discography the way they have with The Beatles. I think once you get into The Beatles, you get your hands on everything and get to know it all pretty quickly. And that's a testament to how good everything is and how distinct each song is. You can say the same thing with Zeppelin to a lesser extent. With the Stones, there's obviously much more material to slog through, and I think people buy the big 4 (Beggar's Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street), know all the old singles from the radio, and call it a day.

What I'm trying to say is that some of the lesser-known albums are really very underrated. Goat's Head Soup--great shit, with a handful of songs that are up there with the Stones' best work. It's Only Rock And Roll--not as consistent as the big classics, but again, a lot of good stuff. There are a whole lot of relatively unknown great Stones songs that you never hear on the radio, never hear people talk about, etc. So for that reason I think they're underrrated because they're unexplored.

Their Majesties Satanic Request isn't too bad either; 2000 Man is one of my favorite Stones songs.

With Oasis, they are a bunch of assholes who have ripped off other artists, it's true, but it's been rumored that Zeppelin had done the same with their earlier work. I think Morning Glory and Definitely Maybe are good, but pretty overrated in the grand scheme of things. Standing on the Shoulder of Giants and Be Here How are surprisingly solid after a 2nd or 3rd listen, albeit a little overwrought. Don't Believe the Truth is my favorite album of theirs.

That being said, I'm excited The Verve and Blur are possibly having new material coming out soon too.

I'm so tempted to listen to those live versions of the songs. But I've been holding off until the album comes out.

Zootlesque said:
Radiohead and Oasis are different. I enjoy both.

Btw LM, thanks for posting those YouTubs clips! I'm, getting more psyched about this album as I watch those clips.

I do enjoy both as well. I think Oasis are getting it together again..Don't Believe The Truth was excellent. :up:

And about the links...you're welcome. :wink: There is a reason for the hype beyond their distribution method; there are many good songs on this record, and there's a good shot that it could be one of their finest works.

Zootlesque said:

Why are you so black and white?

Radiohead :drool: :drool: :drool:
ATYCLB :drool: :drool: :drool:
Hutdab sucks :yuck:
Oasis sucks :yuck:

Leave room for some greys, man!
:p

Hutadb does sucks

and Oasis....I mean talk about pretentions

its not all black and white Zoots....I love Rainbows :p

Zootlesque said:

Which do you prefer?

Floyd's Dark Side rainbow?

or

Radiohead's rainbows?

You can only pick one. :macdevil:

PF has done better than Dark Side. :wink:

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Zootlesque said:

Which do you prefer?

Floyd's Dark Side rainbow?

or

Radiohead's rainbows?

You can only pick one. :macdevil:

thats easy

Floyd's Dark Side of the rainbow:rockon:

I think In Rainbows will be amazing...but I doubt it will be better than Kid A :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom