"radiohead's lp7": countdown and anticipation thread - part iii

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The brilliance of this strategy is that the media buzz generated by the "pay what you wish" scheme has likely promoted the album more so than a record company would have done. Yesterday the story was on the front page of Yahoo for much of the day, and articles continue to abound about Radiohead's iconoclasm- which probably only serves to make them all the more fascinating to the average music fan.

cdisantis83 said:
The brilliance of this strategy is that the media buzz generated by the "pay what you wish" scheme has likely promoted the album more so than a record company would have done. Yesterday the story was on the front page of Yahoo for much of the day, and articles continue to abound about Radiohead's iconoclasm- which probably only serves to make them all the more fascinating to the average music fan.

No kidding!

For example, where I live in Canada:

Front page of Globe & Mail! Upper left-side comment directing to an article in the first page of the Review section.
My local paper. In the entertainment section.
My internet hompage.

This buzz is everywhere. And how much did it all cost Radiohead?
0.00 without a service charge. - "click" - No. Really. 0.00 without a service charge!

martha said:
If it's going to be a pain in the ass to convert to something I can actually hear and play; if I have to download a new program or whatever to manage it, then I can wait until January.

you will have to download a conversion program, but they're mostly free and pretty easy to use.

check this out folks..... very cool read :D

Radiohead throws down the gauntlet
Even if you’re not a fan of their music, you still have to be impressed and amazed by the bold move that Radiohead made with the release of their new album, In Rainbows, which is coming out in less than two weeks as a download (if you have a jones for a hard copy, the band is also offer the CD/LP/bonus model as of December too). It’s sure to shake up the industry but it might be in ways that you might not expect and might not take hold for a while too.

With their contract up, instead of signing to a new label, they decided to put out their new record themselves. A lot of bands have done that with their own labels but Radiohead decided that they wanted to put it out online first and ask fans to pay whatever they think is fair. This not only goes against the fixed pricing that Apple has demanded for iTunes but also the flexible model that the labels have been fighting for because in the end, they themselves still set the price. Actually, it goes against the whole orthodoxy of the industry itself.

Granted that Radiohead is a best-selling band and that’s why they could get away with such a gutsy move but give credit where credit is due—lots of best-selling bands could have done the same thing but haven’t so far. After this, they will. The success or failure of this experiment would usually be measured by how well it sells. That means not just how many copies are downloaded but also how much everyone pays for it. But considering that fans will want to support their band, expect them to shell out and show their love with their wallets. Personally, I plan to pay out and support not just a band that I enjoy and admire but also a great experiment like this which deserves to be nurtured.

Even before it happens, you can bet that the majors are in a tizzy over this, wondering what the hell they’re going to do now. They stand to lose some of their biggest cash cow bands if they like what they see as this comes about and if they’re gone, that means that the labels are toast. Remember how EMI was banking on releases by Coldplay and Gorillaz to keep the company solvent? That’s two acts supporting a major label, which should show you what thin ice they’re on and how much thinner it’s going to get now. The Radiohead model obviously isn’t ideal for smaller bands (though it can be used by them) but if you have a large built-in audience, their model is very attractive and makes a lot of sense. It’s incredibly fan-friendly to say “pay what you like,” which is another reason that they’ll respond well to this. As a wise PR friend pointed out, a major helped to get Radiohead to where they are today (though their music and work ethic certainly helped, right?) but in the last few years, bands like Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah and Arctic Monkeys broke out through Net-roots campaign so that also may be a model for the future (note though that the former still puts out their own albums while the Monkeys signed with indie label Domino).

What’s also interesting about this experiment is the leeway time for it. News broke about this yesterday and now the album is coming out in 10 days later. Usually, albums have months of leeway time to build publicity but in an age when Net leaks get the music out there way before an artist or a label would like, Radiohead decided to be realistic and cut the time down. They’ll still get plenty of publicity and frenzy over this but just in a smaller, more concentrated amount of time. Also, editors and writers who usually have to get their reviews in now for albums that are coming out 1-2 months later are no doubt going crazy over this too. They have to scramble to keep up and schedule this, assign this and make room for it. But even Radiohead’s publicity company Nasty Little Man warned them that they’d have to wait like everyone else to get their own copies on the 10th. Again, it helps to be a major band to have the leverage and chutzpah to do this. Here’s the full announcement:

There will be no advances, promotional copies, digital streams, media sites, etc. of RADIOHEAD’s In Rainbows.

Everyone in the world will be getting the music at the same time: Oct. 10. That includes us. We don’t have anything to play anyone in the nine days until the record is available. Everyone at Nasty has
put his or her order in and just to clarify: you are not being asked to pay for a promo (as some have inquired). you can pay nothing or as much or as little as you want.

There will be no promotional copies of the discbox either, as each discbox is being made to order. Sorry.

Again, wow… I remember when I got mailed the limited edition version of Hail to the Thief as a promo when I was going to review it. It seems like so long ago now.

So then the big question is, what happens next for the biz? It’s not gonna crumble overnight (though was already crumbling anyway) but this is another huge challenge to it now. Other big acts will get the bright idea that they can do this too, no matter how long and how strong a relationship they’ve had with their label (when you see Springsteen or U2 bolt, you know the game’s really over for majors). Plus, they’ll come up with other innovative ideas to get their music out, connect with the fans and by-pass the labels. And all the ill-gotten gains from the RIAA lawsuits ain’t gonna change that. Also, the other ways that the majors are trying to make money with legal downloads, ringtones and even some merchandising deals that they’re trying to work out with artists now aren’t gonna save them either because the tide is turning too quickly. They’ll be forced to cannibalize their back catalogs even more and try to milk more and more money out of it.

And then what? Radiohead and anyone other artist who takes this bold path is still gonna need PR firms and some sort of distribution deal (manufacturing CDs or just placing them as downloads online) but that can be done with outside of the realm of their old labels. It’s a brave new world for artists (and fans) for sure but a frightening black hole for the majors too.

—Jason Gross 12:29 pm | Permalink

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/blogs/crazedbythemusic_post/49279/radioheads-throws-down-the-gauntlet/

U2Fanatic4ever said:
But considering that fans will want to support their band, expect them to shell out and show their love with their wallets. Personally, I plan to pay out and support not just a band that I enjoy and admire but also a great experiment like this which deserves to be nurtured.

:yes: Indeed. I stopped worrying about what was a "fair" price and just paid what I wanted to pay, which was generous, exactly for the reasons mentioned. But I'll also feel free to burn a copy or two for friends who are really poor right now. And I'll buy the official release when it comes out, plus I'll see the show and buy a damn t-shirt, too.

I :heart: Radiohead.

With all this commotion, I hope the record is good. :uhoh:

Last edited:
joyfulgirl said:
With all this commotion, I hope the record is good. :uhoh:

you mean you didn't see them live last year?? What's great is we have heard these songs (most of them except for Last Flowers, Up the Ladder which weren't played on the theater tour). Of course, I imagine they are altered/reworked for the best of course by them over these last few months. :D

I just hope "All I Need" sounds as gloriously silky, sexy and bleeding-hearts as it did when I saw them last year.

:drool:

Yeah, how much is the service charge? I'm thinking of paying $8.00 or $9.00, I agree with Martha that a little less than iTunes seems appropriate since there is no digital booklet or lyric sheet.

U2Fanatic4ever said:

you mean you didn't see them live last year?? What's great is we have heard these songs (most of them except for Last Flowers, Up the Ladder which weren't played on the theater tour). Of course, I imagine they are altered/reworked for the best of course by them over these last few months. :D

I did see them and wasn't blown away by the new material, which was still kind of rough when I saw them. I'm hoping the songs have been reworked and lifted to Radiohead's usual level of sonic magnificence.

I also had the dreaded outdoor show experience instead of the coveted theatre experience which no doubt affected my perception.

The sevice charge was 45 pence (penny). The equivilant of 1 dollar US/Cdn.

I figure that the average fan of Radiohead would be wise to think about paying 0.00. This experiment has the potential to be tried again in the future (not just by this band alone) and it very well might matter how many "0.00" hits it actually takes.

Here's how I would rank the live/demo versions so far:

1. House Of Cards
2. All I Need
3. Nude
4. 15 Step
5. Arpeggi (the first half of In Rainbows should be incredible)
6. Videotape
7. Bodysnatchers
8. Jigsaw
9. Reckoner

Faust ARP is probably that little acoustic number that people thought was A Pig's Ear, which means it will probably place pretty high.

Since we're ranking:

1. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
2. All I Need
3. Videotape
4. Bodysnatchers
5. 15 Step
6. Nude
7. Jigsaw Falling Into Place
8. House of Cards (could be one of the very best if the arangment is right, the tour version isn't that great)
9. Reckoner (again, so low only because I have no idea what a new version would sound like and because the other songs are so damn good.)

I've been listening to "Videotape" over and over. Lyrically and sonically, it's really affecting me. Can't wait to hear the album version.

Lancemc said:
Since we're ranking:

1. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
2. All I Need
3. Videotape
4. Bodysnatchers
5. 15 Step
6. Nude
7. Jigsaw Falling Into Place
8. House of Cards (could be one of the very best if the arangment is right, the tour version isn't that great)
9. Reckoner (again, so low only because I have no idea what a new version would sound like and because the other songs are so damn good.)

I say Jigsaw is gonna be the best song on the album :grumpy:

followed by nude :drool:

martha said:

Me too. Which is why if it's a pain, I may wait.

It won't be a pain. I think they've confused and scared you with technicalities. Download for free if you're worried, and buy the real thing later.

I'm downloading for free because when I tried to pay with money, it rejected my credit card ... because I'd already bought something with it today (Bruce Springsteen).

Fine then, Radiohead. Well played. You get NOTHING. I don't want to live in a world where you can only use your credit card once per day.

:grumpy:

corianderstem said:
I'm downloading for free because when I tried to pay with money, it rejected my credit card ... because I'd already bought something with it today (Bruce Springsteen).

Fine then, Radiohead. Well played. You get NOTHING. I don't want to live in a world where you can only use your credit card once per day.

:grumpy:

I thought you didn't like RH ? :wink:

I'm not much of a fan*, but I wanted to check this out. I was going to support their effort to do something differently, but now I'll just take it for free because seriously ... wtf with the credit card thing?

* I do actually own three of their albums; Kid A, which I bought recently, is much better than I remembered. Still don't care much for OK Computer, though.

corianderstem said:
I'm not much of a fan*, but I wanted to check this out. I was going to support their effort to do something differently, but now I'll just take it for free because seriously ... wtf with the credit card thing?

* I do actually own three of their albums; Kid A, which I bought recently, is much better than I remembered. Still don't care much for OK Computer, though.

:up:up:

and RH >>> R.E.M

just cause I know you like them :p

:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom