"radiohead's lp7": countdown and anticipation thread - part iii

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
anitram said:

:wink:

I'm going to d/l for free and buy a copy when it comes out. I don't like paying for downloads because the quality is not particularly great.

:yes:

I'll probably make a collection of live/demo versions of the 10 songs to get myself used to the order.

xaviMF22 said:

thats what I mean

they could have said new album..next April and be done with it :|

but no.they are leasing it for free in 10 Days :drool: :drool:

and yes finally last flowers...that song has been around the OK Computer era :drool:

I haven't followed on the latest versions of a lot of songs, I want to be surprised, but House of Cards and 15 Step stand tall next to all my favourite Radiohead songs, Videotape is awesome awesome awesome, Reckoner rocks and, well, Last Flowers is beautiful, although I've only ever listened to acoustic versions (are there any others btw?)

I just can't believe it's this soon. I mean, 9 days now actually, GMT. It's incredible.

This is gonna be sooo good.

anitram said:

:wink:

I'm going to d/l for free and buy a copy when it comes out. I don't like paying for downloads because the quality is not particularly great.

what makes you think that RH is going to release less than high quality audio online? it's not like it's a boot or something.. :huh:

martha said:

Yeah, but it all goes into mp3s doesn't it?

possibly we don't know.. but it's coming from the master tape (you wouldn't be able to tell the difference) not thru a second or third source.. They may use FLAC and then turn it into WAV which is better..

Justin24 said:
Not a real big fan of RadioHead, but I went ahead and bought it. I paid 1 dollar for it. I get a confirmation code to download it on the 10th.

You're a great example of how this sort of approach could work wonders for the band. Pretty smart. :up: Also, if you consider how little an artist actually makes on the sale of an album, compared to the record company, the concept becomes even more ingenious.

U2Fanatic4ever said:
They may use FLAC and then turn it into WAV which is better..

That's what Pearl Jam did for their past two tours. They gave you the mp3/FLAC option, which was great. PJ and Radiohead actually seem to share a similar commitment to their fans, in terms of trying something out of the ordinary and rattling the industry.

angelordevil said:

You're a great example of how this sort of approach could work wonders for the band. Pretty smart. :up: Also, if you consider how little an artist actually makes on the sale of an album, compared to the record company, the concept becomes even more ingenious.

That's what Pearl Jam did for their past two tours. They gave you the mp3/FLAC option, which was great. PJ and Radiohead actually seem to share a similar commitment to their fans, in terms of trying something out of the ordinary and rattling the industry.

yep.. that's true... good points made...:up:

LemonMelon said:
LOLZ I bought it for $0.00 :der:

Me too.

I was going to get the physical set, but then I noticed that they won't be shipping till December anyways, so I'll wait until the rush is over and then get one in early January with Christmas money. In the mean time I'll enjoy Radiohead's tunes.

That's probably the intention with the "pay what you want" idea, really...

martha said:

Well, yeah. But iTunes is all mp3s to me. :shrug:

and .aac are forms of lossless audio, I believe while s are lossy.

It's like comparing a DVD to a VHS. If you keep re-recording the VHS, the quality will suffer, but if you keep re-recording the DVD, the quality will not suffer or barely suffer from each new generation.

In that case, Lossless = DVD, Lossy = VHS.

LemonMacPhisto said:

and .aac are forms of lossless audio, I believe while s are lossy.

It's like comparing a DVD to a VHS. If you keep re-recording the VHS, the quality will suffer, but if you keep re-recording the DVD, the quality will not suffer or barely suffer from each new generation.

In that case, Lossless = DVD, Lossy = VHS.

ok. :huh:

It'll go into my iTunes, it'll be mp3s, right? You're saying the original source not being mp3s makes the mp3s better because of the superior source?

martha said:

It'll go into my iTunes, it'll be mp3s, right? You're saying the original source not being mp3s makes the mp3s better because of the superior source?

I believe so, yes.

If the songs are in a lossy format, you'll have to convert them to before putting them in iTunes, but the quality will be superior.

martha said:

If you purchase the songs as mp3s, they will be in lossy format, regardless of the source. That downgrades the quality of the recording.

However, if they make the download available in FLAC as well, you can then convert it to WAV files and add them to iTunes.

Then, what I do is make a CD from the WAV files so I have the best quality possible, and then also convert the WAV files to mp3 for my iPod, which iTunes can do for you.

Lancemc said:
01 15 STEP - Totally badass opener
02 BODYSNATCHERS - One of the best rockers they've ever done
03 NUDE - Achingly beautiful, this song is legendary
04 WEIRD FISHES/ARPEGGI - Far and away my favorite of the new stuff, I hope they blend the Ether version and the Tour version
05 ALL I NEED - Damn good song, with great album positioning
06 FAUST ARP - As long as it's anything other than Spooks I'm a happy Panda
07 RECKONER - Crazy song, can't wait to hear a studio version
08 HOUSE OF CARDS - A virtual masterpiece, if they can nail the arrangment in the studio
09 JIGSAW FALLING INTO PLACE - Open Pick = pwnage
10 VIDEOTAPE - One of the most beautiful songs Thom's ever written, though like I said I'm hoping for a non-crescendo style coda.

Just listened to a bunch of these songs again in this order (except for Faust Arp obviously). This will be one HELL of an album.

Open Pick (Jigaw, whatever) and Videotape are an unstoppable closing combo.

The first 2 tracks are a brilliant momentum machine.

And the Nude/Arpeggi/All I Need sequence it utter brilliant. Could turn out to be the best 3-song sequence ever to find its way onto a Radiohead album. I even got a little teary-eyed by the time I hit the "All I Need" climax. (Bittersweet memories :sigh: )

The ballads on this album are incredible, and, outside of 15 Step, kill the rockers. Nude is so creepy, with an unusual chord sequence and some wonderful lyrics. Arpeggi is already a Radiohead classic...House Of Cards is, dare I say it (considering this is Radiohead and all), pretty damn sexy. Hypnotic, seductive, catchy, don't know what else to say. It will be a masterpiece. All I Need is also genius, and I really dig the glockenspiel or whatever that is. Videotape will be a fantastic closer.

Not entirely sold on the rockers just yet. Yeah, 15 Step is all kinds of awesome, but the incredibly hard-rocking version of Reckoner does nothing for me (it's gutsy, I'll give it that), and Bodysnatchers is merely good. I would like to hear a studio version of Jigsaw before I make any judgments, because that reel released last June made it sound very promising.

martha said:

how about go download a flac file and listen to the difference, it takes little effort

Great concept. I have all of their CD's, I like their earlier work more and certainly don't freak out about this whole new thing like some of you, but it will be interesting to see if and how it works out. I'd rather get the download than the disc set, because it's too much money to spend on stuff I don't really need (besides the CD).

Great Article :up:up:

seems everyone is excited for this :drool:

A record price for a Radiohead album: $0

The famed British band lets fans decide what to pay for a new release online.

By Geoff Boucher and Chris Lee, Los Angeles Times Staff Writers
October 2, 2007

The great riddle facing the record industry in the digital age has been pricing. Napster and its ilk puckishly offered music for "free" in the late 1990s, and the major labels have largely clung to an average of $13 for CDs despite plummeting sales and seasons of downsizing.

Now, one of the world's most acclaimed rock bands, Radiohead, is answering that marketplace riddle with a shrug. "It's up to you," reads a message on the Web page where fans can pre-order the band's highly anticipated seventh album and pay whatever they choose, including nothing.

The British band, which has twice been nominated for a best album Grammy, will sidestep the conventional industry machinery altogether Oct. 10 by releasing the album "In Rainbow" as a digital download with no set price. The album will be available only from the band and at radiohead.com, its official site.

It may sound like a gimmicky promotion, but industry observers Monday framed it in more historical terms: Radiohead, they said, is the right band at the right time to blaze a trail of its own choosing.

"This is all anybody is talking about in the music industry today," said Bertis Downs, the longtime manager of R.E.M., the veteran alt-rock band that was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year. "This is the sort of model that people have been talking about doing, but this is the first time an act of this stature has stepped up and done it. . . . They were a band that could go off the grid, and they did it."

Another high-profile manager said he was still trying to process the boldness of the Radiohead venture. "My head is spinning, honestly," said Kelly Curtis, who represents Seattle-based Pearl Jam. "It's very cool and very inspiring, really."

Radiohead is hardly abandoning the idea of making money.

Its website will also sell a deluxe edition of "In Rainbow" that comes with versions in three formats (CD, vinyl and download) along with eight bonus songs and a lavish hardcover book with lyrics, photos and a slipcase. That package costs 40 British pounds (about $82).

In the coming weeks, Courtyard Management, which represents the band, will reportedly negotiate with labels about a conventional release for "In Rainbow" that would put it on store shelves in 2008. Sources with the band acknowledge that the major labels may balk at the notion of releasing an album that has been available free for months. Still, previous Radiohead albums collectively sell about 300,000 copies a year, according to Nielsen SoundScan, so "In Rainbow" should still have value at the cash register.

"Only a band in Radiohead's position could pull a trick like this," is how Pitchforkmedia.com summed it up Monday. That's because the band became a free agent after its contract with music giant EMI expired with its most recent album, "Hail to the Thief" in 2003. That set the stage for a one-band revolution, even if the five members don't see it that way themselves.

"It's more of an experiment. The band is not fighting for the sake of the fight or trying to lead a revolution," said their spokesman, Steve Martin of New York publicity firm Nasty Little Man. The group declined to comment Monday.

Radiohead isn't the only artist taking bold steps to keep pace with the digital age. The firebrand R&B star Prince, for instance, has taken a maverick path by giving copies of one album away as an insert in a major British newspaper or as an extra to anyone who bought a seat on his high-grossing concert tour. Prince took considerable heat from retailers for the newspaper giveaway.

Then there's the business model of New Orleans' top rapper, Lil Wayne, who made dozens of tracks available free via the Internet to cement his stardom. Even old-school icon Bruce Springsteen seems to see the changing times. He gave away downloads of his new song, the aptly titled "Radio Nowhere."

Geoff Mayfield, the director of charts for Billboard, pointed out that Radiohead was not unique because singer-songwriter Jane Siberry offered a similar optional payment download a few years ago.

Radiohead has sold close to 9 million albums in the U.S., and three of its CDs have debuted in the top 10 on the Billboard album charts. The band has in effect made sure that won't happen with "In Rainbow" by taking its unorthodox approach.

The group has a reputation for daring, which has earned it "relationship fans," core loyalists who skew older, travel to see them play live and urgently seek out the latest release. Those fans, Mayfield said, are not the type to take the new music and leave the Radiohead "tip jar" empty.

"If that loyalty dictates consumer behavior," Mayfield said, "a good number are going to pay what's considered a fair price as opposed to 2 cents."

Several observers said all of that made this experiment far safer than it would be for a pop act that needed a major label to secure radio airplay and television exposure or an up-and-coming rock act that could not fall back on the receipts from sold-out arena shows.

"It's a road act with proven appeal, so as long as they have the right people to take care of touring logistics and the business end of getting music out to market, they might be able to make a go on their own," Mayfield said. "It wouldn't work for everyone. You don't want to be an amateur. We're in a brave new world, but you want to make sure dots connect in terms of getting the music out."

That brave new world is a harsh one for the traditional recording industry. The major labels that enjoyed huge profits in the 1980s as fans replaced their music collections with CDs have suffered over the last decade as a new generation instead plucked its hit songs from the Internet, often without paying for them. There have been steady declines in recent years. As of midyear 2007, CD sales were off 19.3% from the same period in 2006. And there's intense competition now from video games and DVDs.

But even as the old empire collapses, new ideas take hold. Though its cerebral soundscapes are avant art rock, Radiohead's earnest and emotionally plaintive ethos puts it in line with acts such as U2. That's why, according to Wired editor Nancy Miller, all eyes have been on the band at the career and marketplace crossroads.

"We've been waiting for just the right band at just the right moment," Miller said. "Right now is it. Radiohead is the perfect band. After finishing its contract, we expected something revolutionary. I thought they would start their own label. Instead, they have done something more interesting: They decided not to decide."

Some pundits weighed in saying that although Radiohead's move might have been a sharp detour for an established band, it was hardly a path newer acts could follow. Curtis, the Pearl Jam manager, said that years on a major label roster established the Radiohead brand and made it possible for it to buck the system.

"It's the newer bands I really feel sorry for," Curtis said.

Pearl Jam and other groups with intense followings, such as the Dave Matthews Band, R.E.M., Metallica and Nine Inch Nails, will probably learn the most from Radiohead's experience, Curtis said. "Everyone will keep an eye on this because this is the most exciting thing we've seen to this point."

On Monday, Radiohead was trying to deal with that excitement. Intense interest and pre-orders overwhelmed the website, according to Martin, the band spokesman. Wired's Miller, for one, predicted the band's gamble would pay off.

"We've seen the crumbling of bigger labels, but there haven't been any big 'Aha!' moments, that risky departure," Miller said. "It's an interesting move, a terrific example of an artist exerting a terrific amount of control. It's definitely going to be successful."

leak.jpg

Come on. You can DO it!

REM better not go down the same road as Radiohead in this poncy digital-first release system, though they might indeed do so. We all know Stipe and Yorke are bum buddies.

intedomine said:
REM better not go down the same road as Radiohead in this poncy digital-first release system, though they might indeed do so. We all know Stipe and Yorke are bum buddies.

Poncy? You mean progressive? Yeah, god forbid old bands try to stay toe to toe with acts embracing the digital generation. :uhoh:

Well, no one pays 0.00. There is a service charge involved. I went and paid $9 Cdn total. I figure they can give me a better deal than iTunes, but I have no need to abuse the system. This way, "IF" that official cd release does happen next year I just might pay for that too and not feel that I've spent too much already. That box set is another story all together. There should of been a third release that did not include the lps. I would of been curious to see the price point of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom