"radiohead's lp7": countdown and anticipation thread - part iii

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lazarus said:
Wikipedia isn't exactly the gospel, considering it is written and edited by whoever feels like it. The entry claims that Jonny Greenwood said that it would be available in regular CD format early 2008. Unfortunately, the article cited as the source for that statement doesn't even have a quote from Greenwood, or say anything about a normal release:

http://www.thelondonpaper.com/cs/Sa...149175733?packedargs=suffix=ArticleController

Also, don't you think the band would disclose a future third option on their website? I don't think they would hide that from their fans, especially if they're talking to journalists about it.

The source for Wikipedia in this case is the NME, which still isn't the gospel truth, but at least it can't be written and edited by everybody. And to be fair, releasing a regular cd would probably be the logical thing to do.

Last edited:
lazarus:

Like I said, $80 is pretty steep, and is really more than anyone should be willing to pay for a new album. I'm not saying it isn't. But leave it up to the hardcore fans (read: suckers) to make up their own mind what they want to spend. Most of them aren't complete idiots, and they know that they're spending a whole lot of money for essentially 18 songs. So let them download it for $1 and be more than happy, which I'm sure the majority of fans and casual fans alike are going to choose to do. I've bought overpriced music and DVD's before and will continue to do so in the future (Com_Lag anyone? And I'll be the first in line to buy the Ultimate Edition Bladerunner DVD set this December). But I know what I'm buying, as does everyone else choosing to buy the set.

I guess I'm just saying, I don't understand making a big fuss over it. If they were just doing the digital download for a "choose your own price" I doubt anyone would be making a big deal outside of the real "suckers" who want a little artbook so badly they'd spend $80 on the discbox for all the wrong reasons. :shrug:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
It's interesting how U2 sometimes get accused of screwing over the die hards for the casual fan, but when Radiohead do it, they get praises of "innovative", "brave", "a big F U to the record industry", etc...

It's quite funny.

I really dont see how this is screwing anybody?

I mean you download the album for free :shrug:

DrTeeth said:

The source for Wikipedia in this case is the NME, which still isn't the gospel truth, but at least it can't be written and edited by everybody. And to be fair, releasing a regular cd would probably be the logical thing to do.

Uhh, are you the one editing that article, Teeth? Because that thing has been CHANGED since I looked at it before my last post. The line about Greenwood mentioning the nomal release in early '08 is completely gone now, and I can't find the quote in any of the footnote NME articles.

This would appear to illustrate that the information is no longer accurate.

Lancemc said:
lazarus:

Like I said, $80 is pretty steep, and is really more than anyone should be willing to pay for a new album. I'm not saying it isn't. But leave it up to the hardcore fans (read: suckers) to make up their own mind what they want to spend. Most of them aren't complete idiots, and they know that they're spending a whole lot of money for essentially 18 songs. So let them download it for $1 and be more than happy, which I'm sure the majority of fans and casual fans alike are going to choose to do. I've bought overpriced music and DVD's before and will continue to do so in the future (Com_Lag anyone? And I'll be the first in line to buy the Ultimate Edition Bladerunner DVD set this December). But I know what I'm buying, as does everyone else choosing to buy the set.

I guess I'm just saying, I don't understand making a big fuss over it. If they were just doing the digital download for a "choose your own price" I doubt anyone would be making a big deal outside of the real "suckers" who want a little artbook so badly they'd spend $80 on the discbox for all the wrong reasons. :shrug:

exaclty no one is forcing you to blow 80 bucks for the bonus discbox

The real CD...the real LP7 is eseentially free :shrug:

Lance & xavi: I don't know that they're necessarily "screwing" anyone, because it's not like you can't get the music for cheap, but I just think it's weird to only have these two options. You either pay peanuts for the material in its purest form, or you pay out the ass for all this extraneous material. Let's be objective here--there's no real reason to have something on vinyl and CD aside from the fetish aspect of it. If you really think vinyl sounds so superior (which at this point is a total load of B.S.), you wouldn't want a CD anyway. I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying that an overwhelming majority (like 95+%) would prefer just the CDs and the book without the vinyl, and would happily have paid $40 for it.

So why not have this middle option? It just doesn't make any sense to me. It's like you can't just be a really huge fan, you have to be the type of fan that will pay any amount without reservation for any kind of bullshit extra that's offered, which to me is a sycophant.

Not only are they trying to eliminate the record label aspect from the process, but it appears that they're trying to eliminate the whole joy of sitting around with an insert and delving into the experience with the words and artwork, which is something that's long been a big part of their music. Because unless you've got a large chunk of change to spare (most people CAN'T afford this, you are aware of that, right?), you're not going to have this opportunity.

When one can buy 7 or so albums for what they're charging, it's as if they want you to spend the money on them, and no one else.

lazarus said:
sorry if this comes off as rude, but chill out xavi you sound like a drooling sycophant.

Come on, don't say stuff like that...because then I have to parade in here and inform you how you are breaking the rules by being sassy like that to someone...which you surely already know...and then I look mean, and everybody hates me, and it would just be so much nicer to not go down that route. Heaven, I need a hug.

I....I don't know what to say. I'm incredibly happy, but incredibly pissed off that I can't get anything to work. :mad:

Here's what I'm going to do.

1. Wait until October 10th

2. Go to http://blogsearch.google.com/

3. Download the leak some sap put on the net for free

4. Buy the CD version of the album when it comes out next year

Yeah, bitches. :drool:

EDIT: forgot to add in a step between 3 and 4 wherein I drool all over myself. :hmm:

Last edited:
I ordered the download but due to the lovely rainbow colored screen it's impossible to read anything on the confirmation page, including the confirmation number. Brilliant. Still waiting for the email confirmation. :angry:

lazarus said:
Lance & xavi: I don't know that they're necessarily "screwing" anyone, because it's not like you can't get the music for cheap, but I just think it's weird to only have these two options. You either pay peanuts for the material in its purest form, or you pay out the ass for all this extraneous material. Let's be objective here--there's no real reason to have something on vinyl and CD aside from the fetish aspect of it. If you really think vinyl sounds so superior (which at this point is a total load of B.S.), you wouldn't want a CD anyway. I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying that an overwhelming majority (like 95+%) would prefer just the CDs and the book without the vinyl, and would happily have paid $40 for it.

So why not have this middle option? It just doesn't make any sense to me. It's like you can't just be a really huge fan, you have to be the type of fan that will pay any amount without reservation for any kind of bullshit extra that's offered, which to me is a sycophant.

Not only are they trying to eliminate the record label aspect from the process, but it appears that they're trying to eliminate the whole joy of sitting around with an insert and delving into the experience with the words and artwork, which is something that's long been a big part of their music. Because unless you've got a large chunk of change to spare (most people CAN'T afford this, you are aware of that, right?), you're not going to have this opportunity.

When one can buy 7 or so albums for what they're charging, it's as if they want you to spend the money on them, and no one else.

:huh: ok...as mentioned already the regular release at a normal price will be available next year. go back a page or two...<<<

new DAS update from Jonny:

Nightclub
Just to let you know - mel called to say that w.a.s.t.e are working on the current gear-grinding at inrainbows.com....it's getting busy in there - busier than they expected.

So if you please bear with us, it should get cleared out soon. I sound like a bouncer. Get behind the rope. No denim. Thanks for your patience with the site & interest in the record.

Jonny

:D

U2Fanatic4ever said:

:huh: ok...as mentioned already the regular release at a normal price will be available next year. go back a page or two...<<<

Excuse me, but have YOU been reading the last page or two? Because I have yet to see where that's been verified. The only place it was mentioned was on Wikipedia, and now it's missing from there too. Jonny's update doesn't mention anything specific anyway.

Bonochick said:

Come on, don't say stuff like that...because then I have to parade in here and inform you how you are breaking the rules by being sassy like that to someone...which you surely already know...and then I look mean, and everybody hates me, and it would just be so much nicer to not go down that route. Heaven, I need a hug.

Sorry, Bonochick. :hug:

I read one too many "OMG LP7 RULEZ!!!" message too many and snapped.

Jonny's update wasn't supposed to and was not in reference to the CD release. I just posted it because there are people who are having trouble getting on the site to preorder.

And i haven't checked wiki today so sorry for the post.. didn't know it was removed. :huh: For the most part info posted on wiki ends up be true (not always but mostly). I never said it was verified either..

I imagine that we will get the info for the regular release soon so why don't you chill a little about this particular subject which you seem to be going on and on about.

U2Fanatic4ever said:
Jonny's update wasn't supposed to and was not in reference to the CD release. I just posted it because there are people who are having trouble getting on the site to preorder.

And i haven't checked wiki today so sorry for the post.. didn't know it was removed. :huh: For the most part info posted on wiki ends up be true (not always but mostly). I never said it was verified either..

I imagine that we will get the info for the regular release soon so why don't you chill a little about this particular subject which you seem to be going on and on about.

But I still don't know why you're assuming there will be one. This announcement has been 4.5 years in the making, so what's a few more days to get it right? I just don't see why the website would have opened already if they were still unsure of what they were doing.

And isn't the point of these threads to go on and on about something? We're not just slinging mud back and forth; it seemed to me we were having an intelligent discussion. You didn't seem to have a problem with like 10 nearly content-free posts going "OMG!OMG!OMG!" over and over again.

we really don't know if the bonus tracks/b-sides are going to be available strictly through the discbox. As of now this is the case but maybe soon we will get more info about a regular cd release where they will show up. Pending whether they need a record label to release the cd's thru normal channels (I imagine they may whether they come out with their own label or not). :shrug:

lazarus said:

But I still don't know why you're assuming there will be one. This announcement has been 4.5 years in the making, so what's a few more days to get it right? I just don't see why the website would have opened already if they were still unsure of what they were doing.

And isn't the point of these threads to go on and on about something? We're not just slinging mud back and forth; it seemed to me we were having an intelligent discussion. You didn't seem to have a problem with like 10 nearly content-free posts going "OMG!OMG!OMG!" over and over again.

I didn't have a problem with the OMGs because I understood them to be out of excitement from everyone.. Which was their first reaction to the news. As was mine. I guess that wasn't your reaction to it.

Ok already, let's just leave it as a IMO for both of us on this. :|

IMO, it seems likely that they will eventually make this readily available to everyone down the road. The question is how, will they get a record deal or maybe do their own thing, have their own record label. They certainly could manage that.

Let me make it clearer... this is all just speculation right now. :slant:

Simple answer:

HAVE SOME PATIENCE. Download the album and wait for the CD release if you want to make sure you don't get ripped off. Personally, all of this Radiohead news singlehandedly made my day and I will take the bad with the good.

LP7!!!!! :combust:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

But if you want the b-sides you have to pay $80:huh:

It would actually probably be a fair price (given the CD, the b-sides, and the lp) if the dollar didn't suck so bad against the pound. It's not Radiohead's fault that the dollar sucks. That's just how I'm trying to look at it anyway.

joyfulgirl said:

It would actually probably be a fair price (given the CD, the b-sides, and the lp) if the dollar didn't suck so bad against the pound. It's not Radiohead's fault that the dollar sucks. That's just how I'm trying to look at it anyway.

now THAT would have been a good album title:

"It's Not Our Fault Your Dollar Sucks" or "INOFYDS" for short...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom