Radiohead's biggest weakness - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2005, 11:33 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 09:18 PM
Radiohead's biggest weakness

Heard "Idioteque" the other day and remembered how it used to be my favorite song off Kid A (National Anthem is now). It does a very good job at the whole anti-rock band rock song thing (although Zooropa did it first----lol), but then I realized for as rhythmic as it is it actually has no rhythm. Now this is not a knock on "Idioteque" per se as it's probably not intended to have rhythm, but no Radiohead songs have rhythm. When Springsteen inducted U2 into the HOF he mentioned something about their earthy below the belt quality. 'A' list groups like U2 and the Stones have this in abundance, but Radiohead really lacks this quality. U2 didn't find this quality until AB, but when they did they took off in a whole new direction. I don't mean to turn this into a Radiohead sucks thread (I think they're top 3 from the '90's), but I say Radiohead needs to go listen to a bunch of Motown/R&B records and learn to wiggle their ass before they become truly elite or else their music will remain utterly sexless.

Old 06-22-2005, 11:42 AM   #2
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:18 PM
Radiohead and wiggling ass won't ever happen unless a Thom Yorke performance seizure is what you consider an adequate ass wiggle.

Old 06-22-2005, 11:52 AM   #3
Acrobat

Keep Radiohead as far away as possible from Motown. For that matter, keep Springsteen far away from Radiohead.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:54 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:18 PM
Re: Radiohead's biggest weakness

Quote:
Originally posted by Layton
Heard "Idioteque" the other day and remembered how it used to be my favorite song off Kid A (National Anthem is now). It does a very good job at the whole anti-rock band rock song thing (although Zooropa did it first----lol), but then I realized for as rhythmic as it is it actually has no rhythm. Now this is not a knock on "Idioteque" per se as it's probably not intended to have rhythm, but no Radiohead songs have rhythm. When Springsteen inducted U2 into the HOF he mentioned something about their earthy below the belt quality. 'A' list groups like U2 and the Stones have this in abundance, but Radiohead really lacks this quality. U2 didn't find this quality until AB, but when they did they took off in a whole new direction. I don't mean to turn this into a Radiohead sucks thread (I think they're top 3 from the '90's), but I say Radiohead needs to go listen to a bunch of Motown/R&B records and learn to wiggle their ass before they become truly elite or else their music will remain utterly sexless.
good post.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:41 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Radiohead has some songs that you can bob your head to, but yeah for the most part you can't really shake those hips. One quality U2 has is you can dance to quite a few of their songs. I don't think Radiohead is out put the shaking of hips in their music. Not really their style.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:50 PM   #6
Blue Meth Addict

I fail to see how in any way this is a weakness.

Radiohead does not make mainstream "been done a million times before" blues based rock. It's not something they're intersted in, and it's not something they're trying to do. That cannot be considered a "weakness" in my opinion.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:52 PM   #7
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by TheRooster
Keep Radiohead as far away as possible from Motown. For that matter, keep Springsteen far away from Radiohead.
What??? You don't want Radiohead doing "A Man And A Woman" or "Mysterious Ways"----lol. I like Radiohead as much as the next guy, but they need to give in to the baser side of themselves once in a while. My Radiohead fan friends get so pissed at me when I talk about this. They act like it would be sacriligious for Radiohead to do anything other than arty and intelligent. I think they'd all have a collective heart attack if Radiohead ever 'got down' in a song. They know I'm right too---lol. They just don't know how to reconcile this human desire in their geek'ish minds----lol. I tell them all the time that Radiohead is a tad too geek boy'ish to be truly elite. It's about this time they tell me get the f... out of their house----lol.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:03 PM   #8
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo
I fail to see how in any way this is a weakness.

Radiohead does not make mainstream "been done a million times before" blues based rock. It's not something they're intersted in, and it's not something they're trying to do. That cannot be considered a "weakness" in my opinion.
Lack of variety can be considered a weakness and letting an untamed side of yourself loose doesn't have to be mainstream. If U2 can do it, surely Radiohead can do it. I mean U2 in the '80 couldn't have been more square and look what letting that human side out did for their career. Hey look, I'm not really attacking Radiohead. I'm just saying that maybe this lack of a baser human side in their music holds them back from being a truly elite band. It's the difference from being an 'A' list band and an 'A-' list band. So yeah, I'm splitting hairs, but groups like the Beatles and U2 have it all; a human side and an intellectual side.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:42 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:18 PM
Re: Radiohead's biggest weakness

Quote:
Let it be known that Radiohead are my favorite band next to U2. That said, I have to say I do understand what you're saying and in fact once upon a time, before I became the huge Radiohead fan that I now am, I made the comment to a friend that though they write great songs, "Radiohead are so cerebral they are practically neutered."

However, I have since, and for quite some time now, come to the same conclusion as u2popmofo:

Quote:
I fail to see how in any way this is a weakness. ..It's not something they're intersted in, and it's not something they're trying to do. That cannot be considered a "weakness" in my opinion.
I now don't just love them despite this fact, but because of it. I just get what they're doing and there is quite enough booty-shakin' music out there already. The live version of "Idioteque" on I Might Be Wrong is one of my favorites.

And may I add that this thread is just the kind of intelligent discussion this board has been lacking as of late.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:44 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:18 PM
Quote:

Lack of variety can be considered a weakness and letting an untamed side of yourself loose doesn't have to be mainstream.
You don't think Thom lets himself loose onstage? Granted, it's a more inner kind of letting loose but while the music may not be exactly sexy it is certainly not without passion.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:47 PM   #11
Blue Meth Addict

I have to admit Layton, I dont really understand your arguments at all.

Who cares if someone can do something, if that's not remotely something they're trying to do. If you dont find any of their music to have a "human" or "baser" quality to it, then that's really nothing more than how you interpret their music.

Radiohead is an A- group compared to U2??? Again, personal opinions and tastes. I'm fairly certain that MOST of us around here (Bang and Clatter) would probably flip that judgement around in reverse with the kind of music U2 is making these days....

More or less, I'm wondering if you dont understand why Radiohead is popular AND respected. The main and most important thing Radiohead has going for themselves is that they're unique. To say that their weakness is that they're not just like everyone else is like saying that Apple computers should all be switched to use Windows operating systems to be better.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:50 PM   #12
Blue Meth Addict

Re: Re: Radiohead's biggest weakness

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

And may I add that this thread is just the kind of intelligent discussion this board has been lacking as of late.
I agree (though I probably have come across as seeming otherwise), it's good to see someone (Layton in this example) share their opinions AND actually be able to back up why they feel that way.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:28 PM   #13
Acrobat

I think in the decades to come Radiohead will be mentioned with the "elite" groups of the past, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Police, U2. In fact I think they will overshadow the more popular choice of Nirvana as the band of the 90s. I think the rules that they play by are what will make them great. For 40 years rock bands have been playing by the same rules and Radiohead turned against that and made something just as good if not better. However a Radiohead cover of Baby Got Back would be quite amusing.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:41 PM   #14
War Child

Local Time: 01:18 AM
I like their weakness, people are having too much sex as it is.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:49 PM   #15
Refugee

Local Time: 02:18 AM
I do think Radiohead are a very stilted band, when they try to rock out it sounds awkward and cumbersome, maybe they just don't have the "swagger" (for want of a better term) to make that kind of music. I would also say another weakness they have is a limited palette of emotion in their music, its all pretty much uniformly dull and gloomy to me..it wouldn't hurt to write from a differing perspective, as I think they are sort of parodying themselves a bit, especially with their most recent album.