Radiohead's biggest weakness - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2005, 03:09 PM   #16
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sleep Over Jack
I do think Radiohead are a very stilted band, when they try to rock out it sounds awkward and cumbersome, maybe they just don't have the "swagger" (for want of a better term) to make that kind of music. I would also say another weakness they have is a limited palette of emotion in their music, its all pretty much uniformly dull and gloomy to me..it wouldn't hurt to write from a differing perspective, as I think they are sort of parodying themselves a bit, especially with their most recent album.
Arent these more or less just things in your personal taste that make you not like them?

I know I sound like a broken record here, but just because you dont personally like how someone does something musically, doesnt mean there's something "inherently wrong" with the music. I personally prefer their rock to anything the Rolling Stones have ever done (I used this example because of your description of "swagger"), and I'm sure the vast majority of Radiohead fans would agree. At the same time, your opinion that their "negatively based emotions" are a weakness is probably what a lot of fans would think is a huge strength. It's all just a matter of opinions and tastes, there are no black and whites in music or art.

Old 06-22-2005, 03:09 PM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:47 PM
Re: Re: Radiohead's biggest weakness

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

I just get what they're doing and there is quite enough booty-shakin' music out there already.
Hey joyfulgirl, that's one booty shakin' avatar you got there! Very nice.

PS: Who is that in the avatar?

Old 06-22-2005, 03:15 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:47 AM
Re: Re: Re: Radiohead's biggest weakness

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

Hey joyfulgirl, that's one booty shakin' avatar you got there! Very nice.

PS: Who is that in the avatar?
That would be me of course.

Not. It's Tori Amos.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:18 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: Re: Re: Re: Radiohead's biggest weakness

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

That would be me of course.

Not. It's Tori Amos.
Ah... I Tori. For some reason I thought it would be Edie Brickell but didn't say anything.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:42 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:47 AM
Re: Radiohead's biggest weakness

Quote:
Originally posted by Layton
Heard "Idioteque" the other day and remembered how it used to be my favorite song off Kid A (National Anthem is now). It does a very good job at the whole anti-rock band rock song thing (although Zooropa did it first----lol), but then I realized for as rhythmic as it is it actually has no rhythm. Now this is not a knock on "Idioteque" per se as it's probably not intended to have rhythm, but no Radiohead songs have rhythm. When Springsteen inducted U2 into the HOF he mentioned something about their earthy below the belt quality. 'A' list groups like U2 and the Stones have this in abundance, but Radiohead really lacks this quality. U2 didn't find this quality until AB, but when they did they took off in a whole new direction. I don't mean to turn this into a Radiohead sucks thread (I think they're top 3 from the '90's), but I say Radiohead needs to go listen to a bunch of Motown/R&B records and learn to wiggle their ass before they become truly elite or else their music will remain utterly sexless.
I agree. Their lack of range is a huge weakness. It would be great to hear them toy with some "Rock and Roll", country, R&B, even pure pop. But I think their fanbase would run away if they released anything with a "wink" or "smile" in it.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:48 PM   #21
Blue Meth Addict

Re: Re: Radiohead's biggest weakness

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1

I agree. Their lack of range is a huge weakness. It would be great to hear them toy with some "Rock and Roll", country, R&B, even pure pop. But I think their fanbase would run away if they released anything with a "wink" or "smile" in it.
You have to admit though, this is like saying U2 should try metal and rap, and then saying it's a "weakness of theirs" because they don't.

And when it comes down to it, you could make a pretty good arguement that Radiohead HAVE done songs influenced and including sounds from all of those noted genres.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:02 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I happen to think 'There, There' among others has a pretty cool rhythm going on, but that's just me.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:04 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo

And when it comes down to it, you could make a pretty good arguement that Radiohead HAVE done songs influenced and including sounds from all of those noted genres.
or just listen to Pablo Honey, right?
Old 06-22-2005, 05:23 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:47 AM
Myxamatosis [sp?], i might be wrong, Knives out, national anthem...those are few with definitely good ryhthms , rhythm doesnt necessarily have to be mysterious ways, motown or beyonce...
radiohead isnt meant to be dance music, last i checked
Old 06-22-2005, 05:43 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:17 PM
I think you have to have some love of actual "music" to appreciate a lot of recent Radiohead music.
that is, an appreciation of shifting beats and crazy time signatures. Believe me, it requires a HELL of a lot of talent to pull off something like Pyramid song or even Let Down.

It's one of the main things I love about them. 4/4 gets old fast.

if you want to shake your ass, then go listen to Remy Shand
Old 06-22-2005, 06:05 PM   #26
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo

You have to admit though, this is like saying U2 should try metal and rap, and then saying it's a "weakness of theirs" because they don't.

U2 tried faux rap with Bono's spoken word/ mish mash. Look at Elevation. Miami. You're Not My Baby... As for metal? They never did true metal but they've done hard rock which is pretty close.

Anyways, who's talking about blues based rock I'm sure if you analyze the Bends you can find some blues based riffs or lead bits (can't remember since its been so long since I listened to the album). Wasn't this thread about how Radiohead can't bring a little to the fleshly jiggle? Techno isn't blues based and it still can make people dance.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:11 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: Re: Re: Re: Radiohead's biggest weakness

Quote:
Originally posted by Flying FuManchu

U2 tried faux rap with Bono's spoken word/ mish mash. Look at Elevation. Miami. You're Not My Baby...
Don't forget Elvis Ate America!

As for Radiohead, I agree with u2popmofo that it can't be considered their weakness. It's just not their style. And.. yes U2DMfan, There There has a very nice rhythm!
Old 06-22-2005, 06:12 PM   #28
New Yorker

Wait... so people won't begrudge Radiohead for not going beyond their own apparent limitations by excusing it as being a style issue?
Old 06-22-2005, 06:19 PM   #29
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Flying FuManchu
Wait... so people won't begrudge Radiohead for not going beyond their own apparent limitations by excusing it as being a style issue?
Its an argument that goes round and round...i think bands should try everything...i think Bono also said that its a lot harder to write a joyful song than one which is miserable*shrugs*...really if you think about Radiohead are just sticking to what they do best in their own eyes, therefore if they wanted a challenge would it not be to write something that was joyful, even close to Mysterious Ways funky and danceable? and maybe commercial?...just an idea....
Old 06-22-2005, 07:11 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Basstrap
4/4 gets old fast.
agreed

Radiohead isn't my favorite band, but I admit they can create original tunes, with different tempos

"lack" of rhythm isn't a weakness, but of course, everything in abuse is bad