Radiohead - Yea, I'm really behind the times, I know

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fan101

Refugee
I've had all 6 Radiohead albums on my iTunes for over a year but I never listened to them. My friend had burned all of his cd's on my computer so that he could put them on his iPod, but most of the stuff I never listened to, including Radiohead.

One day this past I decided to let my iTunes play on shuffle and this radiohead song came on. It was Planet Telex, which of course I'm sure all of you Radiohead fans know.

I was surfing the net in my boredom and had to stop and look at my iTunes to see what song it was. And then I heard the chorus and I just was stunned out how amazing the song was.

So then I was thinking, dayum. I wonder what their other music sounds like.

I thought "High and Dry" and "Creep" (the titles) sounded familiar. And yes, of course I have heard of those songs, but I didn't know they were Radiohead.

So for the past week I have spent listening to each album intently, starting with Pablo Honey and going all the way to Hail To the Thief.

So after a weeks listening here is my assessment of Radiohead.

One word: Wow!

Why the hell have I waited so long to listen to this band? I honestly don't know, and I regret waiting to jump on the Radiohead train. Now I see what all the hype is.

So I thought I'd share my opinions on the albums now and also to see what any of you think (there's a crapload of Radiohead pages, I know, but I figure some of you would want to share your opinion on them once again).

Pablo Honey - This isn't my favorite album, but it's definitely good.
Favorite Tracks: You, Anyone Can Play Guitar, I Can't. (I'm opting not to say Creep only because it would be like saying With or Without You or Sunday Bloody Sunday is a favorite track. Creep is great, yes, but, it's a given.)
Grade: C+

The Bends - This is definitely a stronger album in my opinion, and I like it much better on a personal level. To start with, Planet Telex was the first Radiohead song I heard in my Radiohead Experiencing.
Favorite Tracks: Planet Telex, Fake Plastic Trees (which just makes me teary eyed every time I hear it), Just, Black Star, Street Spirit.
Grade: B

OK Computer - Wow. This is a definite change in style. I mean I can still hear the 'old' Radiohead on it, but the electronic stuff is starting to come through a bit. I view this, as I'm sure everyone else does, as the transition album from The Bends to Kid A.
Favorite Tracks: Paranoid Android, Let Down, Karma Police (I love that piano part!), The Tourist
Grade: B

Kid A - I must admit that the opening of this album as a whole just took me to a new place musically that I've never been. It was almost as if I was being pulled into this trance and I found my leg bouncing in time with the beat. At this point, I'm thinking Everything In It's Right Place is the strongest opening track (so far).
Favorite Tracks: Everything In It's Right Place, Kid A, The National Anthem (that bass just grooves! How can you not like that!?), Treefingers, Motion Picture Soundtrack
Grade: A-

Amnesiac - Just when I thought Radiohead couldn't release a better album than Kid A, I was proven wrong. Now granted, I had heard that Amnesiac was just leftovers from the Kid A sessions. I'm assuming this is correct? Even if that is true, there is still a slight change in the album. I mean it's noticeable to the point where this is my favorite Radiohead album. Solid straight through.
Favorite Tracks: All.
Grade: A+

Hail To The Thief - Man. Do these guys just know how to have the perfect album openers? I mean every album had an opening track that just made me want to listen more. And the ending tracks on each album are equally as solid. The first two tracks in particularly start off with a moderate feel, just kind of enjoying it, and then suddenly, BAM! This amazing beat kicks in, and the volume shoots up and gets all crazy. I especially love how 2+2=5 starts off all relaxed and then you just start rocking out with them.
Favorite Tracks: 2+2=5, Sit Down, Stand Up, Backdrifts, Where I End and You Begin, We Suck Young Blood, The Gloaming, Myxomatosis

So all in all, Radiohead has become one of my top favorite artists of all time. In fact, currently, I'd hate to say this, but at the moment I like them better than U2. Yes, yes, I know. Call it blasphemy. But my gosh, this is a whole new musical experience for me I've never known. And I can't wait for their next album which I read should be out sometime this year.

Anyway, like I said I'm wayyyy late in joining the Radiohead train, but at least I'm on it, and that I've finally conformed.:)

I just saw the general Radiohead thread. I'm sorry admins. You can go ahead and merge this.

Welcome to the club. You'll find plenty of equal-minded people on this site. Your ranking of the albums might be a little unorthodox, though.

The new album won't be out before 2007.

WELCOME WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they are amazing aren't they! But what you need to do is see them LIVE! OMFG!! Mindblowing I tell ya!:wink: Get your hands on some live boots too (there are tons out there!), I have a lot of them especially from this past tour (just amazing btw, played all small venues in the US with no more than 3,000 seats! wow!).. Just ask away we all have quite a bit of info..

Also, check out the overdose radiohead on AOL Radio online, here's the link: http://radaol-prod-web-rr.streamops...ent/common/html/OpenRadio.html?stationid=7171

good RH message boards: www.ateaseweb.com and www.greenplastic.com

the new songs are wonderful, my favs are: videotape, 4 minute warning, nude, arpeggi, 15 step, house of cards and All I need.

and.. check out my avatar..<<< Thom is wearing a U2 War Tshirt!:wink:

Welcome to an obsession you'll never want to get over! Nice to see that you gave HTTT such a high ranking. A lot of diehard RH fans aren't terribly wild about that one. I think it's a great album, though. I'm curious about the B for OK Computer! Maybe it will grow? I think that album is absolutely perfect from start to finish.

I recently got into Radiohead hardcore myself, so it's good to see another n00b. :wink:

But yes, all the albums except Pablo Honey hold up pretty well

my favorite's are The Bends and OK Computer, with Kid A, Amnesiac, and hell, even Hail to the Thief close behind.

OK Computer is the greatest album of the 90's, bar none.

I don't see what's so great about Amnesiac, but welcome to the Radiohead club! :wink:

Now that we're at it, I'd like to ask:´

Why do so many U2 fans love Radiohead?

U2Man said:
Now that we're at it, I'd like to ask:´

Why do so many U2 fans love Radiohead?

Because they raaawwwwkkkk :rockon: :shifty: :|

Most likely because both bands were bunched together so much in the 90's, and both have been so creative throughout their respective careers.

LemonMelon said:

Yeah, really, is that possible?:huh:

Yes, even my friend think's it's really strange that I like HTTT better than OK Computer. Maybe it'll grow on me, but HTTT really just struck me the very first time I listened to it. I can't really explain it, but, I don't know.

In all honesty, those first two tracks on HTTT drew me in from the quiet groovy music to the rock out towards the ends of both songs.

Frankly, I give HTTT such a high rating because I feel a transition coming in that album. I haven't heard any of the new songs from 'LP7', but I have a feeling this album is going to blow the previous 6 away based on the transition in HTTT.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Originally posted by U2Fan101 Frankly, I give HTTT such a high rating because I feel a transition coming in that album. I haven't heard any of the new songs from 'LP7', but I have a feeling this album is going to blow the previous 6 away based on the transition in HTTT.

If you really want them, I could drop you an email. I'd be glad to. I have all the LP7 songs that were played live.

Aygo said:

You bet! Radiohead rocks!:rockon:

Amen to that!!!
thomsmiley.gif
jonnysmilie.gif
edsmilie.gif
philsmilie.gif
colinsmilie.gif

If you're really getting into Radiohead, you're going to want all of the non-album tracks(b-sides and ep tracks)...I have them all(except for any LP7 stuff, I don't have any of that) from 1992 to 2005. I'm speaking only of studio tracks - no live tracks, no remixes, just non-album studio tracks. By my count, I have 42 of them, and that's every single one that I know of. It's not easy to find the singles and eps to buy, and I know how long it took me to find these all on the internet, so, if you want, post your e-mail and I'll send you a link to a zip file with all of them in it.

Here's a list of all of the non-album tracks I have and the releases on which they first appeared:

DRILL EP 1992
Stupid Car

ANYONE CAN PLAY GUITAR - SINGLE 1993
Coke Babies

CREEP - SINGLE 1993
Yes I Am
Inside My Head
Million Dollar Question

POP IS DEAD - STANDALONE SINGLE 1993
Pop Is Dead

ITCH EP 1994
Faithless, The Wonderboy
Banana Co.

MY IRON LUNG EP 1994
The Trickster
Lewis(Mistreated)
Punchdrunk Lovesick Singalong
Permanent Daylight
Lozenge Of Love
You Never Wash Up After Yourself

FAKE PLASTIC TREES - SINGLE 1995
India Rubber
How Can You Be Sure

HIGH AND DRY - SINGLE 1995
Maquiladora
Killer Cars

STREET SPIRIT(FADE OUT) - SINGLE 1996
Bishop's Robes
Talk Show Host
Molasses

KARMA POLICE - SINGLE 1997
Lull

AIRBAG/HOW AM I DRIVING? EP 1998
Melatonin
A Reminder
Pearly
Polyethylene(Parts 1&2)
Palo Alto
Meeting In THe Aisle

NO SURPRISES - SINGLE 1998
How I Made My Millions

I MIGHT BE WRONG LIVE RECORDINGS 2001
True Love Waits(there is no studio recording of this song, and this is the only officially released version of it)

KNIVES OUT - SINGLE 2001
Cuttooth
Worrywort
Fog

PYRAMID SONG - SINGLE 2001
Fast Track
The Amazing Sounds Of Orgy
Trans-Atlantic Drawl
Kinetic

COM LAG EP 2004
Paperbag Writer
I Am A Wicked Child
I Am Citizin Insane
Gagging Order
Where Bluebirds Fly

Last edited:

:drool: :drool: :drool:

namkcuR said:
If you're really getting into Radiohead, you're going to want all of the non-album tracks(b-sides and ep tracks)...I have them all(except for any LP7 stuff, I don't have any of that) from 1992 to 2005. I'm speaking only of studio tracks - no live tracks, no remixes, just non-album studio tracks. By my count, I have 42 of them, and that's every single one that I know of. It's not easy to find the singles and eps to buy, and I know how long it took me to find these all on the internet, so, if you want, post your e-mail and I'll send you a link to a zip file with all of them in it.

Here's a list of all of the non-album tracks I have and the releases on which they first appeared:

DRILL EP 1992
Stupid Car

Coke Babies

CREEP - SINGLE 1993
Yes I Am
Inside My Head
Million Dollar Question

Pop Is Dead

ITCH EP 1994
Faithless, The Wonderboy
Banana Co.

MY IRON LUNG EP 1994
The Trickster
Lewis(Mistreated)
Permanent Daylight
Lozenge Of Love

India Rubber
How Can You Be Sure

Maquiladora
Killer Cars

Bishop's Robes
Talk Show Host
Molasses

Lull

Melatonin
A Reminder
Pearly
Polyethylene(Parts 1&2)
Palo Alto
Meeting In THe Aisle

How I Made My Millions

True Love Waits(there is no studio recording of this song, and this is the only officially released version of it)

KNIVES OUT - SINGLE 2001
Cuttooth
Worrywort
Fog

Fast Track
Trans-Atlantic Drawl
Kinetic

COM LAG EP 2004
Paperbag Writer
I Am A Wicked Child
I Am Citizin Insane
Gagging Order
Where Bluebirds Fly

Dude, that's really awesome of you. I appreciate it.

My email is jason_fuerst@yahoo.com

LemonMelon said:

If you really want them, I could drop you an email. I'd be glad to. I have all the LP7 songs that were played live.

Yea that would be awesome. Aren't you the one with Beck songs? I clicked on that link you emailed me and it says I have sign up and pay money in order to download the file, even when I clicked on the free one. Unless if I'm missing how to do it, I don't think it's really free?

U2Fan101 said:

Yea that would be awesome. Aren't you the one with Beck songs? I clicked on that link you emailed me and it says I have sign up and pay money in order to download the file, even when I clicked on the free one. Unless if I'm missing how to do it, I don't think it's really free?

It's free for me. :huh:

I'll try another server when I send you your Radiohead material. :hmm: always times out on me.

namkcuR said:

DRILL EP 1992
Stupid Car

Coke Babies

CREEP - SINGLE 1993
Yes I Am
Inside My Head
Million Dollar Question

Pop Is Dead

ITCH EP 1994
Faithless, The Wonderboy
Banana Co.

MY IRON LUNG EP 1994
The Trickster
Lewis(Mistreated)
Permanent Daylight
Lozenge Of Love

India Rubber
How Can You Be Sure

Maquiladora
Killer Cars

Bishop's Robes
Talk Show Host
Molasses

Lull

Melatonin
A Reminder
Pearly
Polyethylene(Parts 1&2)
Palo Alto
Meeting In THe Aisle

How I Made My Millions

KNIVES OUT - SINGLE 2001
Cuttooth
Worrywort
Fog

Fast Track
Trans-Atlantic Drawl
Kinetic

COM LAG EP 2004
Paperbag Writer
I Am A Wicked Child
I Am Citizin Insane
Gagging Order
Where Bluebirds Fly

whp555444@yahoo.com

:drool:

namkcuR said:

And it's sent to you as well now. I would've thought you would have them already though since you seem like a pretty big fan :wink:

I'm a pretty big fan without a lot of money to buy the EPs and such. :wink:

Thank you very much. :)

At first, I thought that Radiohead was soooo boring, I couldn't watch them on MTV.
Then, my cousin burned me a various artist compilation and it had "High and dry" there, I just loved it.
Then, I asked a friend of mine that is a fan of the band to burn me a cd with the singles and the most important tracks of each album... I don't have to tell that I led me to get all the albums:drool:

Zootlesque's right: discovering a band for the first time makes us sooo excited!!!:combust:

This is good to hear U2Fan101! I just got on the "Radiohead train" about 9-10 months ago, and luckily that was in time for their theater tour. I saw them in Philly, and let me tell you: you've got to see them live.

U2Fan101 said:
...Kid A - I must admit that the opening of this album as a whole just took me to a new place musically that I've never been. It was almost as if I was being pulled into this trance and I found my leg bouncing in time with the beat. At this point, I'm thinking Everything In It's Right Place is the strongest opening track (so far).
Favorite Tracks: Everything In It's Right Place, Kid A, The National Anthem (that bass just grooves! How can you not like that!?), Treefingers, Motion Picture Soundtrack

'Legs bouncing in time with the beat.' :drool: You should see my head-bobbing during The National Anthem. (Wait, maybe you shouldn't...it's kind of early for Halloween.)

Welcome aboard the Radiohead Train! Bloooop...Beeeeep!

Re: Re: Radiohead - Yea, I'm really behind the times, I know

angelordevil said:

You should see my head-bobbing during The National Anthem.

YouTube :rockon: :rockon:

Come on :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom