Radiohead vs. Muse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Radiohead. I'd list the reasons why but that would involve disparaging Muse. They're probably the one band everybody loves on this board that I actively dislike but I'd rather not start any fights.

Except if there's going to be table throwing, I'm game for that.

yertle-the-turtle said:
Radiohead. I'd list the reasons why but that would involve disparaging Muse. They're probably the one band everybody loves on this board that I actively dislike but I'd rather not start any fights.

Except if there's going to be table throwing, I'm game for that.

List all the reasons. If people get aggressive, we'll just ignore them.

Radiohead! ..even though I've heard very little of Muse and virtually nothing from the new album.

I like Muse a lot (although honestly I consider them a bit of a guilty pleasure) but IMO they aren't even in the same league as Radiohead. I can get tired of Muse's testosterone-fueled over-the-top show offy prog rock even though, as I said, I like them and I'd love to see them live. But Radiohead move me on so many levels; they have more depth, the music and lyrics are more interesting to me, and I just connect with them more. Muse are fun but I don't necessarily take them all that seriously.

Muse. They are great live.

I've never really liked Radiohead.

joyfulgirl said:
I like Muse a lot (although honestly I consider them a bit of a guilty pleasure) but IMO they aren't even in the same league as Radiohead. I can get tired of Muse's testosterone-fueled over-the-top show offy prog rock even though, as I said, I like them and I'd love to see them live. But Radiohead move me on so many levels; they have more depth, the music and lyrics are more interesting to me, and I just connect with them more. Muse are fun but I don't necessarily take them all that seriously.

What the gorgeous gal from the desert said. :up:

PlaTheGreat said:
Radiohead. No contest.

I like Muse and all but... :drool: :drool: Radiohead.

:drool: x infinity.

To be fair, I've only heard Black Holes and Revelations from Muse, and that was just a few listens. Maybe I owe them another shot on my mp3 player while I'm walking outside--the ultimate proving ground for music that I end up liking.

From what I have heard, there's a heavy and undeniable Radiohead influence on the band, especially with the vocals. The rest comes across a bit like Queen mixed with Nirvana; amazing harmonies, but a real harshness, as well.

Dare I say it, but maybe Radiohead have more heart?

Last edited:
starsgoblue said:
I don't think they are the same. Besides maybe a weensy bit of similarity in singing style I don't see much comparison.

:uhoh: They're exactly the same, except Muse is much worse.

Muse has yet to make an album as great as Kid A, which has now become one of my favorite albums of all-time.

Radiohead :up:

(Thom Yorke spaz dance)

It's easy: Radiohead.

Radiohead changed the pop/rock scene and the british music scene too in the 90's. Their music is different from what it had been made until then, it's original and they always have something new to show. They succeded about experimenting, never were afraid about that, and pushed boundaries about mixing genres and sounds that seemed impossible to mixture.
Muse is a good band too, but they never kept my attention for the reasons Radiohead does. They're not bad, but they're pretty average comparing to other better bands.

Recently really getting into Radiohead and appreciating their brand of Bendy rock.
Still, Muse just rocks the house down when they're not singing about generic apocolyptic BS with jackoff synth lines pleasuring your nasty music sensabilities.

So there.

I dunno.

To me I still think they're not too far off a Pearl Jam/Creed relationship.

I know a lot of people will disagree (and have already done so in this thread), but I honestly think one is an inferior facsimile of the other. I remember reading somewhere an opinion of Muse that it was as if 'Thom Yorke went solo and lost all his talent". Plus Matt Bellamy's subscription to the school of Jeff Buckley vocal histrionics times ten annoys me to no end.

I'll give them points for 'Hysteria' though. That is an awesome song and I do not mind saying I play it once every few days despite its horrendous lyrics because honestly I think it has a brilliant, catchy chorus and, for lack of a better term, rocks. Everything else of theirs I've heard (and please don't bother recommending any more, you won't change my mind unless somehow Bangladesh win the cricket world cup next year) has either done absolutely nothing for me or has made me want to violently attack someone. And that's not good.

yertle-the-turtle said:
Everything else of theirs I've heard . . . . has made me want to violently attack someone.

:up:

Them! It makes me want to violently attack them! And scream in their faces, "Stop trying to be Thom Yorke. You suck, you're not Radiohead and it will never happen!"

And I'm usually not a violent person. :wink:

I like both bands...and I probably lean towards Radiohead. Muse have too many songs that sound similar.

However, I just don't see the 'Muse trying to be like Radiohead comparison'. Muse's sound is similar to one Radiohead song -'The Trickster', but that's where the comparison goes to die IMO. Muse seems to me to be more Queen-like than Radiohead.

:shrug:

Seriously, why do people think Matt is trying to sound like/does sound like Thom? And is Thom clearly hands down the only person with that 'sound? Opinions please, cause I'm not seeing your arguments on that.

I have to go with Radiohead because of The Bends, OK Computer and Kid A. However, I think Muse has been better over the last 5 years.

At the end of the day, I still anticipate a new Radiohead release more. But maybe Radiohead could get their heads out of their asses and release an album. :mad:

On all the Thom Yorke / M.B. comparisons - they're not alike at all.

Jesus you have someone using the falsetto in rock music and it either gets likened to Chris Martin or Thom Yorke. Bellamy seems to have the better vocal ability, but he just puts a different spin on it than Yorke - he's a little more glam and gratuitous with the melodies and affectations.

Anyway, Matt's a fuckin' showman live - which I can't exactly say for Yorke. Two completely different frontmen.

Back
Top Bottom