Radiohead vs Coldplay - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2005, 11:10 PM   #121
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:07 AM
Coldplay.....just

A Rush of Blood to the Head is sheer brilliance. Possibly the best album of the 21st Century so far. Reamrkable effort and such an improvement from Parachutes (which was still a decent album).

X&Y, although it's early days, does show that Coldplay are willing to try something different. The synthesizers are used in a mesmerising fashion.
Too early to determine whether it is better or as good as ROBTTH.

If Coldplay's 4th album fails to deliver something that defies how everyone has previously percieved them, then I think Radiohead may be better.

Coldplay's have to "do" a Kid A or a Achtung Baby on their next effort to affirm their greatness.

Old 06-09-2005, 11:14 PM   #122
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:37 PM
"Possibly the best album of the 21st Century so far."

Old 06-09-2005, 11:20 PM   #123
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:07 AM
Well... to be fair.... no-one has ever done piano ballads before.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:25 PM   #124
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
Well... to be fair.... no-one has ever done piano ballads before.
But has anyone done a piano ballad that has as much oomph as a Coldplay song?

I doubt it.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:35 PM   #125
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine

yes
Old 06-09-2005, 11:50 PM   #126
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine
I bet the answer is Coldplay!

It's all they do!

(several bouts of exclamation marks)

Add in the obligate "How Long" falsetto, some high treble strings, and the refrain where everything goes quiet... except for your heart dripping with anticipation for Martin's next gem. Rinse, recycle, repeat... bam you got yourself the formula for suckcess.

Now, I enjoy Coldplay's first album endlessly. But with each coming record, the blandness and routine drowns all the wails of melody into a big white (oh so white) noise that is merely a sampling of what doesn't immediately offend the ears.

Coldplay are my ex, and here's the why...

Parachutes was excellent in some subtle areas. Everything since then has been an upping of amplitude in what folks have responded to... the naive passion of songs like Shiver, Spies, and Don't Panic have been replaced with their even more pre-packaged derivatives.

I still have hope, but it's fading when I'm given a chance to reflect through arbitrary threads such as these.

I'll side with Radiohead, surprisingly.

yours,

cynic mcgimmick
Old 06-09-2005, 11:51 PM   #127
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:07 PM
i'm sorry

but if i saw chris martin

i might have to smack him down
Old 06-10-2005, 01:58 AM   #128
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Flying FuManchu
Again explain the "new and daring" part to me? Shouldn't Aphex Twin get some credit from Radiohead?
I think the records speak for themselves. When did Coldplay make such a leap in the way Radiohead did from OK Computer to Kid A? Oh, wait...they haven't...they're still peddling the exact same sound from their last album, worthy of TV adverts and dramatic season finales...X+Y has been hailed as Coldplay's "Joshua Tree" and the sign that they are now the world's biggest band...big deal, yet shows NOTHING in the form of progression or the desire to explore different sounds...they're banging on about record company evil and how the money doesn't matter as long as they make amazing music better than Sgt. Pepper, when it's pretty obvious they're too bloody scared to try something new and just stick with the same sound to make sure they don't lose any listeners and more importantly, CASH.

Quote:
Originally posted by Flying FuManchu
mentioning, Amnesiac which was released soon after Kid A sort of kills your rehash statement doesn't it?
erm...not really.

Radiohead recorded forty odd songs during sessions that would lead up to Kid A, 11 of these made 'Kid A' and some more were held back for 'Amnesiac' since they were better as a stand-alone album. The two are so far apart, the fact that you're calling Amnesiac 'rehash' is laugable. EVERY band does it! Either there isn't enough space on a record and the song(s) must be heard or the song fits a completely different mood and is better alongside other material...Led Zeppelin? U2? PINK FLOYD?! Everybody's done it...you're just FISHING for problems...one of Coldplay's "breakthrough hits" 'In My Place' was a leftover from Parachutes...yet I doubt Coldplay fans will want to mention that will they? Rehash indeed...

Radiohead are far better than Coldplay musically, and banging on about radio play and stuff doesn't really give you much leverage in the argument because just because something's being SATURATED (I just heard 'Speed of Sound' on an advert for that Hugh Laurie drama 'HOUSE'...what the HELL?! Saying it sounded out of place just a bit is the understatement of the century) doesn't mean it's actually the best stuff out there...
Old 06-10-2005, 02:18 AM   #129
War Child

Local Time: 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
Matchbox 20 made me feel physicaly ill. That first album full of shit was a monster seller and said a lot about what had happened to the music buying public. It went further downhill from there.

Then came Creed with all this bullshit posturing, backed only by some of the single most boring and uncreative, insipid crap with probably the single biggest cock in music history as a frontman. To make it worse, loads of people believed in it. For them, I feel truly sorry, as there is great music out there, plenty of it, but in the environments they are/were in this was what was great music to them. Shockingly sad state of affairs. These are the things that the UN and Amnesty International should be campaigning for: an overhall of FM radio in the US. Give the kids a fucking chance.

But then, just when you think corporate rock has reached a new low, bring on Nickelback to drop it a few more notches!!

Honestly, I don't believe that any member of U2, no matter how far their own band has fallen into the depths of corporate slop, would name Nickelback as a favourite. If so, everybody on this board should abandon ship immediately. The fucker is sinking fast.
I love you.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:52 AM   #130
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by myusernamehere

I love you.
Bono loves mmm bop so why not nickelback which I personaly detest
Old 06-10-2005, 03:25 AM   #131
War Child

Local Time: 08:07 PM
Who cares what Bono likes to listen to? Seriously.

My "I love you" comment was more aimed at the point he was getting at.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:48 AM   #132
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:07 PM
exactly. I prefer to base my music taste on what I enjoy listening to than what Bono's got on his turntable...
Old 06-10-2005, 04:05 AM   #133
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by myusernamehere
Who cares what Bono likes to listen to? Seriously.

My "I love you" comment was more aimed at the point he was getting at.
That wasn't clear to me sorry ...

I thought you were referring to the part: Honestly, I don't believe that any member of U2, no matter how far their own band has fallen into the depths of corporate slop, would name Nickelback as a favourite. If so, everybody on this board should abandon ship immediately. The fucker is sinking fast.

I do not care what Adam clayton is listening to or Bono or Luciano Pavarotti.... but the fact remains that some people here are going to have to burn their cd's to hell because Bono once said he likes Nickelback. Reminds me of the Milli Vanilli (we sing..ehh not) incident where hundreds of people went on the street to crash a cd that they loved listening to...Blame it on the rain
Old 06-10-2005, 04:11 AM   #134
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by blahblahblah
exactly. I prefer to base my music taste on what I enjoy listening to than what Bono's got on his turntable...
It would be sad world if someones musical taste is based on the taste of his favourite singer..What if Bono would only liked listening to boybands all day....HELL on earth
Old 06-10-2005, 06:30 AM   #135
The Fly

Local Time: 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96

i agree with everything you said

everything you will ever say

i love you, and more than 7ust as friends.

fcuk YA!!! Coldplay

I'm guessing most of you coldplay fans like Creed? Bon Jovi?.. how about Aerosmith?

Radiohead buries these losers.

Tags
coldplay, radiohead