Radiohead vs Coldplay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wake me up when coldplay even get's their "Bends" right.

nevermind ok computer.

kid a? HA. never in their lives. the distance between radiohead and coldplay musically is no less than the space between mercury and pluto.

I have just watched coldplay doing Square One on Later with Jools Holland and it was superb. They have certainly shook the music world up. Their album is superb and the best thing I have heard in years.

aah, I have to go back into diplomatic mode now...expecting Coldplay to do a 'KID A' before we can call them original is a bit much!

I'm not expecting Martin suddenly to say "Right, YOU! Buckland! Stop playing that guitar and help me out with this MiniMoog...then we can get going on that VCS3 over there...!" and just make something TOTALLY unlike anything they've done...it's not really what they do! Given what I've said before it's a U-turn yes, I know...but still...when Radiohead made Kid A, it still had Radiohead all over it. When U2 made Achtung Baby it was still PASTED with U2. I think if Coldplay just change the way they play they could be better! They do seem to stick to the same formula and more importantly SOUNDS since Parachutes!! :huh:

Square One [just seen on 'Later'] sounds fine though! :p

Coldplay has truly surpassed Radiohead with the phenomenal first week success of X&Y (and without the benefit of an IPOD commercial to boot). Hail, hail to the new biggest band in the world!

To the naysayers... I know sales don't mean much but the new album got decent reviews and I'm sure with the continued world-wide success of X&Y, there will be critic revisionism on the level of Led Zeppelin or U2's POP causing X&Y to become labeled a classic. The when you add the huges sales to the critics' revisonishm, voila! Classic! All bow down to real rock n' roll Coldplay style! New Radiohead album! pfahfff! :wink:

Last edited:
In commemoration of Coldplay's huge success! Here is a copy and paste of Thom Yorke's greatest lyrical masterpiece and favorite song of the classic Kid A!

Who's in bunker, who's in bunker?
Women and children first
Women and children first
Women and children
I'll laugh until my head comes off
I swallow till I burst
Until I burst
Until I..

Who's in bunker, who's in bunker
I've seen too much
I haven't seen enough
You haven't seen enough
I'll laugh until my head comes off
Women and children first
And children first
And children..

Here I'm alive, everything all of the time

Ice age coming, ice age coming
Let me hear both sides
Let me hear both sides
Let me hear both..

Ice age coming, ice age coming
Throw me in the fire
Throw me in the fire
Throw me in the..

We're not scaremongering
This is really happening, happening
We're not scaremongering
This is really happening, happening

Mobiles working
Mobiles chirping
Take the money and run
Take the money and run
Take the money..

Background:
The first of the children

If Coldplay made their 'Bends' album, tried to change their style, 'experimented', etc... the naysayers on this board would be quick to say they are trying to be like Radiohead and pan them anyways. I could almost guarantee it! It's the nature of RH fans...

Flying FuManchu said:
Coldplay has truly surpassed Radiohead with the phenomenal first week success of X&Y (and without the benefit of an IPOD commercial to boot). Hail, hail to the new biggest band in the world!

To the naysayers... I know sales don't mean much but the new album got decent reviews and I'm sure with the continued world-wide success of X&Y, there will be critic revisionism on the level of Led Zeppelin or U2's POP causing X&Y to become labeled a classic. The when you add the huges sales to the critics' revisonishm, voila! Classic! All bow down to real rock n' roll Coldplay style! New Radiohead album! pfahfff! :wink:

Seriously, are you on commission to say this stuff?

Zoomerang96 said:
wake me up when coldplay even get's their "Bends" right.

nevermind ok computer.

kid a? HA. never in their lives. the distance between radiohead and coldplay musically is no less than the space between mercury and pluto.

No, Mercury and Pluto exist in the same galaxy.

Radiohead and Coldplay do not.

The OOTS said:
:wink:
Coldplay is from this galaxy. While Radiohead is way out there.

True. Radiohead are visionaries and innovators.

Coldplay have their feet firmly on the ground.

And their lips closely aligned to the record company bosses' anuses.

Come on lmj.

They're One Step Closer to KNOWING.

SUCCESS!!!

I'll have to send you guys some of my U2 cd's some time so you can fully appreciate the awesomeness of that joke.

cujo said:
Come on lmj.

They're One Step Closer to KNOWING.

SUCCESS!!!

I'll have to send you guys some of my U2 cd's some time so you can fully appreciate the awesomeness of that joke.
you're in fine form tonight, cujo. :up:

and i'm appreciating the awesomeness alright. i'm thinking of starting a thread about it. :sexywink:

coldplay MIGHT be even duller than u2 circa atyclb.

that really says something doesnt it?

Zoomerang96 said:
coldplay MIGHT be even duller than u2 circa atyclb.

that really says something doesnt it?

Blasphemy!!! :yell: Atyclb beamed U2 into a stratosphere few bands ever see. It cemented their greatness in my opinion.

Stratosphere? I seem to remember Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby sold more. ATYCLB is one of U2 lesser albums in my view.

financeguy said:
Stratosphere? I seem to remember Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby sold more. ATYCLB is one of U2 lesser albums in my view.

Yes, you would remember those details, being financeguy and all!

Personally, Achtung is my fav, but ATYCLB was an amazing album because it solidified U2's brilliance at bringing a whole new audience to their music. I will defend it to the bitter end of time!!:evil:....must breath....*good thoughts, good thoughts*....:angel:

Anyway, we're getting away from the point:

COLDPLAY = FAKE PLASTIC TREES

The OOTS said:
Hopefully on their next album, Radiohead will come back with some good ROCK music.

Hear's hoping....

oh gross...

didn't you hear there there, 2+2=5 and go to sleep from the last album?

that's about as straight forward rock as it gets.

i have faith in them that whatever they'll do, they do it because they really want to.

it's nice they don't appear to be quite as concerned about sales as other bands...

angelordevil said:

Blasphemy!!! :yell: Atyclb beamed U2 into a stratosphere few bands ever see. It cemented their greatness in my opinion.

what exactly did atyclb prove? it was an album that benefited from events that happened in the world around it.

how and why, i have no idea, but the media took it that way and ran with it, shoving it down everyone's throats in the meantime.

this album will be looked back on as being a very insignificant album in terms of music, and will only be noted at all because it was U2 who put it together. without that name tagged with it, that album would have tanked.

RADIOHEAD ARE GENIUSES!!!

I like Coldplay a lot, but they're different. When Coldplay makes songs like True Love Waits :sad: , Knives Out :ohmy: :ohmy: ,
Life in a Glass House :drool: :drool: , The Bends :( , There There :huh: , Paranoid Android :mad: ... and not have 2 similar songs, then they'll be geniuses.

Last edited:
Zoomerang96 said:

oh gross...

didn't you hear there there, 2+2=5 and go to sleep from the last album?

that's about as straight forward rock as it gets.

i have faith in them that whatever they'll do, they do it because they really want to.

it's nice they don't appear to be quite as concerned about sales as other bands...

Radiohead could record 45 minutes straight feedback and their fans would defend it as creative and innovative.

I want to hear more of Bends or OK Computer from them. Those were their only 2 good albums through and through. Very good stuff!! Don't bury 1 or 2 good songs amongst a pile of doodie and expect me to follow like the other sheep.

Zoomerang96 said:

what exactly did atyclb prove? it was an album that benefited from events that happened in the world around it.

how and why, i have no idea, but the media took it that way and ran with it, shoving it down everyone's throats in the meantime.

this album will be looked back on as being a very insignificant album in terms of music, and will only be noted at all because it was U2 who put it together. without that name tagged with it, that album would have tanked.

I feel a disturbance in the force...:ohmy:
Much anger towards this album have you :wink:

I don't know what to say, except this album brought me closer to U2 since Achtung. It's full of beauty and soul, stripped down to the essentials of great songwriting.

I think you're right, in that it did benefit from world events a year after its release in 2000. But this wasn't contrived by U2...9/11 came after the album. In a startling way, I think the band captured something that was in the air globally. It was an accurate snapshot in time. That's why it resonated, in my opinion.

And don't blame the media...that's just tired. Both my parents work in the media, and as much as I try to blame them for all the disasters in this world, and in my own, it usually doesn't get me very far :wink:.

ATYCLB is great because it's U2 throwing everything up in the air and building from what's settled. It's one of the key corerstones in their career.

(Plus Bono wore an awesome Canadian -made leather jacket on the tour...that was just wayyy cool.) :bono:

Back
Top Bottom