Radiohead vs Coldplay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
financeguy said:
yes both the Smiths and Radiohead were/are good. I usually find that people who like one, also like the other but there are exceptions.

Yeah there are exceptions. I hate The Smiths and Radiohead are a fabulous band who have released 2 of the finest albums ever recorded. I know that Radiohead have said that they like The Smiths in the past but I find absolutley NO connection to either band in the music or anything else. They are like chalk and cheese. One is absolutley CRAP and the other absolutley BRILLIANT!:wink:

intedomine said:

The fact that Coldplay, an unfashionable band with an unfashionable lead singer unfashionable music for the 21st century, CAN generate some kind of mainstream appeal is quite admirable in this day and age.

This is a great statement, and i agree 1000%. Especially because that was the exact feeling about u2 in the early 80's and they were also trashed by the fans of the established bands of that time.

Zoomerang96 said:

you're right - it's not daring. but they said this album was going to be about them stretching their musical ability.

do you honestly think they have?

exactly.

Yeah I do.

X&Y is a long way from Parachutes, and seems to be a natural (yet adventurous) progression from AROBTTH.

Talk
White Shadows
Twisted Logic
X&Y
Square One

All these songs exhibit something new from Coldplay. Synthesiers are utilised as Coldplay never has done before, and to actually to construct a song around a Kraftwerk original is a remarkable decision for a band like Coldplay, especially considering their reliance upon piano and the rather limited vocal Martin provides.

Granted, X&Y is nowehere near as "daring" as Achtung Baby, Unforgettable Fire, Kid A, Sgt Peppers......

....but does it need to be?

Of course not! That is not what music is all about and that is not the ONLY indicator as to whether a band is any good or not. To think so is just plain stupidity or arrogance.

It is important for bands to make alterations to their own sound over time (be them large or small). They don't have to go out and revolutionise music all together.

X&Y is not as "daring" as other albums, but it does exhibit the band's willingness to try and revamp their own sound and expand their own musical horizons.

And regarding them "stretching their musical ability." Personally, I don't think they have "mastered their musicianship" yet. Indeed, they are masters at songcrafting, yet I don't feel they are as qualified or confident as Radiohead or U2 to try anything "way out there" (kid a, unforgettable fire) yet.

Give them time.....let them establish themselves as musicians first.

If, after 5-6 albums, they are still writing songs like Speed of Sound, Proof and A Message, I'd probably be over them too...

again COLDPLAY is not influental as it is Radiohead...the coldplayers are lukewarm boring farts...

intedomine said:

Yeah I do.

X&Y is a long way from Parachutes, and seems to be a natural (yet adventurous) progression from AROBTTH.

Talk
White Shadows
Twisted Logic
X&Y
Square One

All these songs exhibit something new from Coldplay. Synthesiers are utilised as Coldplay never has done before, and to actually to construct a song around a Kraftwerk original is a remarkable decision for a band like Coldplay, especially considering their reliance upon piano and the rather limited vocal Martin provides.

Granted, X&Y is nowehere near as "daring" as Achtung Baby, Unforgettable Fire, Kid A, Sgt Peppers......

....but does it need to be?

Of course not! That is not what music is all about and that is not the ONLY indicator as to whether a band is any good or not. To think so is just plain stupidity or arrogance.

It is important for bands to make alterations to their own sound over time (be them large or small). They don't have to go out and revolutionise music all together.

X&Y is not as "daring" as other albums, but it does exhibit the band's willingness to try and revamp their own sound and expand their own musical horizons.

And regarding them "stretching their musical ability." Personally, I don't think they have "mastered their musicianship" yet. Indeed, they are masters at songcrafting, yet I don't feel they are as qualified or confident as Radiohead or U2 to try anything "way out there" (kid a, unforgettable fire) yet.

Give them time.....let them establish themselves as musicians first.

If, after 5-6 albums, they are still writing songs like Speed of Sound, Proof and A Message, I'd probably be over them too...

:up: The album is musically adventurous. It is basically Progressive Rock at times, which is not the safest road to take. If you want safe and unadventurous, check out ATYCLB and HTDAAB. That doesn't mean I think they are bad albums, quite the contrary.

As for the question though, I have to go with Radiohead. :drool:

I would just like to ask an honest question.

I have the first two Coldplay albums, not the new one.

To me, the first two are ok records but obviously owe a strong debt to The Unforgettable Fire.

Now what exactly about the new one makes it such an adventurous step forward?

financeguy said:

Now what exactly about the new one makes it such an adventurous step forward?

Nothing. It's more like The Unforgettable Fire than the first two put together.

Radiohead = most overrated band i've ever heard.

I bought OK Computer a couple of years ago expecting to been blown away after reading the reviews ect....what an anti-climax that was :|

i was getting into U2 at the same time and it became clear that they were somewhat better.

Coldplay over Radiohead every time

1stepcloser said:
Radiohead = most overrated band i've ever heard.

I bought OK Computer a couple of years ago expecting to been blown away after reading the reviews ect....what an anti-climax that was :|

i was getting into U2 at the same time and it became clear that they were somewhat better.

Coldplay over Radiohead every time

heheeh if you think OK Computer is a mediocre album then I pity your musical taste. It's probably the 2nd greatest album of all time, behind Achtung Baby, the songs on that album are amazing, Subteranean Homesick Alien is an absolute superb song, can't you hear the beauty in that album. Woow if not then you need to syringe your ears.:wink:

rjhbonovox said:

heheeh if you think OK Computer is a mediocre album then I pity your musical taste. It's probably the 2nd greatest album of all time, behind Achtung Baby, the songs on that album are amazing, Subteranean Homesick Alien is an absolute superb song, can't you hear the beauty in that album. Woow if not then you need to syringe your ears.:wink:

Oh my God. My world is crumbling around me. I can't believe this. I think I might just agree with you rj. Amazing. Though I also think The Bends is better than OK Computer.

Remind me never to listen to the opinion of someone that dislikes OK Computer. :wink:

Radiohead are great because they create something unique and (mostly) their own. The same cannot be said by Coldplay...I'm actually at the laughing point now when I watch 'Speed of Sound'. It's bloody ridiculous that they try to pass that off as "the next big thing" or "better than Beethoven". They simply don't have the chops, or balls, to back that claim up. Coldplay may be the best cut-and-paste band in the bunch, but that simply makes them brilliant thefts--not original artists.

I believe in Radiohead much more than Coldplay...it's about sincerity in my opinion.

And I am right, damn it!!! :rant: *cough, hack* Sorry for yelling....

no. They're both in leagues of their own and much better than coldplay. :)

*stir...stir...stir*

You're just saying that for the sake of an argument...either that or you're not AWARE of the fact you're talking complete garbage! :)

rjhbonovox said:

My exact top 2 albums as well.. Achtung Computer!

couldn't agree more about Alien.. such a great song.

I'm not actually a Coldplay hater. I have all three albums now and am well in the right to have an opinion of them when being compared to my favourite band. Sorry. :|

angelordevil said:
Radiohead are great because they create something unique and (mostly) their own. The same cannot be said by Coldplay...I'm actually at the laughing point now when I watch 'Speed of Sound'. It's bloody ridiculous that they try to pass that off as "the next big thing" or "better than Beethoven". They simply don't have the chops, or balls, to back that claim up. Coldplay may be the best cut-and-paste band in the bunch, but that simply makes them brilliant thefts--not original artists.

I believe in Radiohead much more than Coldplay...it's about sincerity in my opinion.

And I am right, damn it!!! :rant: *cough, hack* Sorry for yelling....

I agree with almost every point made here. I DO like Coldplay, they're pleasant enough, but I feel no need to run out and buy the new album. I feel like there are 10 other CDs by 10 other artists I could buy that would serve the same purpose, for me anyway.

Radiohead, on the other hand, I have bought each of their last three albums on the day of their release. I saw them live 2 years ago and it was amazing. :up:

I can't believe there are three pages in this thread, to be honest. ;)

Lancemc said:

Oh my God. My world is crumbling around me. I can't believe this. I think I might just agree with you rj. Amazing. Though I also think The Bends is better than OK Computer.

Thats a shitter Lancemc, cos we always disagree. Anyway, The Bends is also an excellent album. When I start listening to The Bends, I often have it on repeat listening for the next week or two. The Bends is also an album in my all time top ten!:wink:

U2girl said:

They also owe a lot to the Smiths.

yes, they owe a lot to many bands.

smiths, rem, and now aphex twin (sort of, at least on spinning plates, and a few others), perhaps even a little autechre.

though other than i am citizen insane, i'm not sure much else has an autechre vibe.

why am i still talking?

what's wrong with me?

At one time, I liked Radiohead as much as u2 but they lost me with "Amnesiac". Although it was a good album, as was "Hail".

It's a tough call cause I love both bands, but after hearing "X&Y", going with......RADIOHEAD.

Maybe Coldplay's new album will grow on me, but right now it's putting me to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom