Radiohead vs Coldplay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MrBrau1 said:

Grenwood could never use his guitar like Weller.

That's the point, neither of these guitarist would want to try playing like the other. Weller is a traditionalist, greenwood is an experimentalist

Basstrap said:
actually I've heard all of illumination and some scattered other tracks.

I'm not saying he's bad...but I don't see where you get the brialliant guitarist thing from.

That's cause I never said that.

angelordevil said:
Radiohead vs Coldplay

Chocolate vs Rat Poison

Inventors vs Prentenders

:hmm:

that's really what it comes down to, doesn't it?

and greenwood kicks balls in the 7unk, man.

:up:

XHendrix24 said:

Well, as far as technique is concerned, the Smiths make most bands look like amateurs.

Absolutely fantastic songwriting in that group.

Oh dear, with a username like that I expected better taste. the Smiths are/were shite and no smart arse Gay Morrissey lyrics will ever change the fact that they were indeed shite. Radiohead and Coldplay are 2 great bands, one clearly inspired by the other. Just that Radiohead haven't released a truly great album since 1997's Ok Computer, Kid A was good but patchy as were Amnesiac and Hail To The Thief. Coldplay's latest album, after a week of listening, is very good indeed!:wink:

Basstrap said:
The Smith's are one of ther better bands of the 80's

U just about said it all their, cos apart from U2, and Simple Minds maybe, the 80's were really shite for music unless you think Spandau ballet and Duran Duran were ground breaking artists.:wink:

smiths and the police are some of my favorite bands..who both happen to be from the 80s and both split up and both singers went off to make their own albums :angry:... and though i do still like both morrissey's and sting's lyrics their actual music nowadays itself will never compare to the original band's...
especially without marr's guitarplaying....
or stewart copeland's drumming:sad:

Zoomerang96 said:
i wish this had been a real poll.

coldplay is nothing music. it is remarkable though, how they can create such a dull sound time and again. they haven't progressed at all, despite their album name being somewhat "daring".

honestly, all the talent that coldplay ammasses collectively doesn't even amount to a fraction that 7onny greenwood possesses.

in fact, coldplay's guitarist is really quite poor. he's adds "fills", he serves no purpose. coldplay is only marginally better than keane, and that my friends, is about as bad as gets when it comes to brit pop.

Whinge whinge whinge, get over it mate!

You hate coldplay, not the music, you hate the concept of coldplay. You're biased. I Can't take what you're saying seriously anymore.

By the way, here's my major problem with the anti-Coldplay sentiment that exists on this board.

It seems that this fact applies to when considering how good a band is:

"If a band isn't daring, then they are shit."

That's the bullshit theory that exists on this forum.

Once a band manages to generate some kind of mainstream appeal, they are thought of with negativity. That's a disgraceful way of forming opinions about bands.

The fact that Coldplay, an unfashionable band with an unfashionable lead singer unfashionable music for the 21st century, CAN generate some kind of mainstream appeal is quite admirable in this day and age.

I'm a big radiohead fan by the way. It's just I get the feeling there are some people who are letting their prejudices against Coldplay get in the way of deciphering whether a song sounds good or not.

Just because it's mainstream, doesn't make it bad. Anyone who has that opinion is a supercillious snobby tosspot

elevation2u said:
smiths and the police are some of my favorite bands..who both happen to be from the 80s and both split up and both singers went off to make their own albums :angry:... and though i do still like both morrissey's and sting's lyrics their actual music nowadays itself will never compare to the original band's...
especially without marr's guitarplaying....
or stewart copeland's drumming:sad:

Ahhh man don't mention The Police they were crap as was most of Stin'g solo efforts. He is the biggest pretensious arsehole out there. I remember him saying about Larry and Adams Mission Impossible theme version....."My 10yr old could have done better than that" or something like that....Sting was/is a nobhead!

intedomine said:

You hate coldplay, not the music, you hate the concept of coldplay. You're biased. I Can't take what you're saying seriously anymore.

By the way, here's my major problem with the anti-Coldplay sentiment that exists on this board.

Once a band manages to generate some kind of mainstream appeal, they are thought of with negativity. That's a disgraceful way of forming opinions about bands.

The fact that Coldplay, an unfashionable band with an unfashionable lead singer unfashionable music for the 21st century, CAN generate some kind of mainstream appeal is quite admirable in this day and age.

I'm a big radiohead fan by the way. It's just I get the feeling there are some people who are letting their prejudices against Coldplay get in the way of deciphering whether a song sounds good or not.

Just because it's mainstream, doesn't make it bad. Anyone who has that opinion is a supercillious snobby tosspot

:applaud: Excellent post, agree 100%.

intedomine said:

you're right - it's not daring. but they said this album was going to be about them stretching their musical ability.

do you honestly think they have?

do you think if van gogh had painted sunflowers over and over...and over and over again, people would start to lose interest and call him a one trick pony?

exactly.

Coldplay have been trying to re-create U2's fourth studio album for their entire career to date, and thus far they haven't succeeded.

I think they should move on and choose a new direction.

thing is, apparently they've already done that.

it's 7ust that noone actually noticed.

intedomine said:

:yes:

I can't believe this thread is still going on.

Radiohead > Coldplay

where Coldplay ≠ amazing music {even by a long run}

rjhbonovox said:

Oh dear, with a username like that I expected better taste. the Smiths are/were shite and no smart arse Gay Morrissey lyrics will ever change the fact that they were indeed shite. Radiohead and Coldplay are 2 great bands, one clearly inspired by the other. Just that Radiohead haven't released a truly great album since 1997's Ok Computer, Kid A was good but patchy as were Amnesiac and Hail To The Thief. Coldplay's latest album, after a week of listening, is very good indeed!:wink:

right, this post has got me immensely annoyed :mad:

The Smiths are twice the band that Radiohead and coldplay are. have you ever even listened to any of their songs? or have you just heard one of morrisseys poorer efforts and assumed it was the smiths?? johnny marr was one of the finest guitarists of his generation. you tried to mock someone for their taste in music yet you then say 'the smiths were shite'. talk about contradictions.......

Last edited:
1stepcloser said:

The Smiths are twice the band that Radiohead and coldplay are. have you ever even listened to any of their songs? or have you just heard one of morrisseys poorer efforts and assumed it was the smiths?? johnny marr was one of the finest guitarists's of his generation. you tried to mock someone for their taste in music yet you then say 'the smiths were shite'. talk about contradictions.......

That post has me slightly annoyed as well. :wink:

No matter your taste in music, I think the smart (not just smart arse, mind you) lyrics and skillful songwriting/guitar playing are apparent. I'd be willing to bet that anyone fairly interested in music theory would be a fan of The Smiths. Though, I'm not saying that if you don't like The Smiths, you're a musical dumbass. ;)

That being said, I agree with my quoted post in that The Smiths (at least as far as musical theory goes, since all music is objective blahblah) probably surpass the likes of Radiohead. And DEFINATELY surpass the likes of Coldplay.

That being said, I'm not an obsessive fan of any of these bands and I think they all have their merits (mainly The Smiths and Radiohead, but Coldplay isn't complete slop either). No reason for silly band rivalries hindering my music-listening experiences.

I will eat you all alive, there'll be no more lies

iwilleatyouallalive.gif

rjhbonovox said:

Ahhh man don't mention The Police they were crap as was most of Stin'g solo efforts. He is the biggest pretensious arsehole out there. I remember him saying about Larry and Adams Mission Impossible theme version....."My 10yr old could have done better than that" or something like that....Sting was/is a nobhead!

sting may be an asshole but ive also read that morrissey is the same... but im sorry i love the police:drool: to me they were one of the best 80s bands..they didnt do any of that 80's elctronic/synth stuff and still rocked...the music doesnt sound of out date even today.. too bad they only made like 5 records:angry:

1stepcloser said:

The Smiths are twice the band that Radiohead and coldplay are. have you ever even listened to any of their songs? or have you just heard one of morrisseys poorer efforts and assumed it was the smiths?? johnny marr was one of the finest guitarists of his generation. you tried to mock someone for their taste in music yet you then say 'the smiths were shite'. talk about contradictions.......

Girlfriend in a coma, Heaven knows I'm miserable now (fucking am after listening to this shit), How soon is now, sheila take a bow, what difference does it make(they make no difference cos there shite) and on and on, yes I have heard of a lot Smiths songs (cos I was around in the very drab music of the 80's) and they were crap and Morrissey as a solo artist is just slightly better but not much. Also Johnny Marr is one of the most overrated guitarists I have ever heard with his simple twanging. Yep The Smiths are one of the most overrated bands ever to have walked this earth and speaking of Manchester bands I also can't stand Stone Roses, Happy Mondays and Joy Division also massively overrated for there very limited achievements.:wink:

..Waitwaitwait. Simple twanging?!?:eyebrow:

Certainly you can't blame The Smiths for barely using any effects (barring How Soon Is Now?) in their songs while still keeping the songs fairly guitar-driven? :huh:

I mean, to each his own. But, I do find it kind of ironic that you're touting a controversial list of "overrated bands," and yet you're defending Radiohead at the same time. :wink:

radiohead are underrated:wink:

and the smiths are so so lovely :drool:..
brilliant lyrics and voice.music is good..not the greatest but certainly not the worst

'half a person', 'please, pelase, please let me get what i want', 'i know it's over' , 'there is a light that never goes out'... the last smiths songs ive played during this week

people please.

can we agree that the smiths and radiohead were/are BOTH good times?

i thought so. :wink:

yes both the Smiths and Radiohead were/are good. I usually find that people who like one, also like the other but there are exceptions.

Back
Top Bottom