Radiohead vs Coldplay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Coldplay.....just

A Rush of Blood to the Head is sheer brilliance. Possibly the best album of the 21st Century so far. Reamrkable effort and such an improvement from Parachutes (which was still a decent album).

X&Y, although it's early days, does show that Coldplay are willing to try something different. The synthesizers are used in a mesmerising fashion.
Too early to determine whether it is better or as good as ROBTTH.

If Coldplay's 4th album fails to deliver something that defies how everyone has previously percieved them, then I think Radiohead may be better.

Coldplay's have to "do" a Kid A or a Achtung Baby on their next effort to affirm their greatness.

Earnie Shavers said:
Well... to be fair.... no-one has ever done piano ballads before.

But has anyone done a piano ballad that has as much oomph as a Coldplay song?

I doubt it.

intedomine said:
But has anyone done a piano ballad that has as much oomph as a Coldplay song?

I bet the answer is Coldplay!

It's all they do!

(several bouts of exclamation marks)

Add in the obligate "How Long" falsetto, some high treble strings, and the refrain where everything goes quiet... except for your heart dripping with anticipation for Martin's next gem. Rinse, recycle, repeat... bam you got yourself the formula for suckcess.

:sexywink:

Now, I enjoy Coldplay's first album endlessly. But with each coming record, the blandness and routine drowns all the wails of melody into a big white (oh so white) noise that is merely a sampling of what doesn't immediately offend the ears.

Coldplay are my ex, and here's the why...

Parachutes was excellent in some subtle areas. Everything since then has been an upping of amplitude in what folks have responded to... the naive passion of songs like Shiver, Spies, and Don't Panic have been replaced with their even more pre-packaged derivatives.

I still have hope, but it's fading when I'm given a chance to reflect through arbitrary threads such as these.

I'll side with Radiohead, surprisingly.

yours,

cynic mcgimmick

Last edited:
Flying FuManchu said:
Again explain the "new and daring" part to me? Shouldn't Aphex Twin get some credit from Radiohead?

I think the records speak for themselves. When did Coldplay make such a leap in the way Radiohead did from OK Computer to Kid A? Oh, wait...they haven't...they're still peddling the exact same sound from their last album, worthy of TV adverts and dramatic season finales...X+Y has been hailed as Coldplay's "Joshua Tree" and the sign that they are now the world's biggest band...big deal, yet shows NOTHING in the form of progression or the desire to explore different sounds...they're banging on about record company evil and how the money doesn't matter as long as they make amazing music better than Sgt. Pepper, when it's pretty obvious they're too bloody scared to try something new and just stick with the same sound to make sure they don't lose any listeners and more importantly, CASH.

Flying FuManchu said:
mentioning, Amnesiac which was released soon after Kid A sort of kills your rehash statement doesn't it?

erm...not really. :wink:

Radiohead recorded forty odd songs during sessions that would lead up to Kid A, 11 of these made 'Kid A' and some more were held back for 'Amnesiac' since they were better as a stand-alone album. The two are so far apart, the fact that you're calling Amnesiac 'rehash' is laugable. EVERY band does it! Either there isn't enough space on a record and the song(s) must be heard or the song fits a completely different mood and is better alongside other material...Led Zeppelin? U2? PINK FLOYD?! Everybody's done it...you're just FISHING for problems...one of Coldplay's "breakthrough hits" 'In My Place' was a leftover from Parachutes...yet I doubt Coldplay fans will want to mention that will they? Rehash indeed...

Radiohead are far better than Coldplay musically, and banging on about radio play and stuff doesn't really give you much leverage in the argument because just because something's being SATURATED (I just heard 'Speed of Sound' on an advert for that Hugh Laurie drama 'HOUSE'...what the HELL?! Saying it sounded out of place just a bit is the understatement of the century) doesn't mean it's actually the best stuff out there...

Earnie Shavers said:
Matchbox 20 made me feel physicaly ill. That first album full of shit was a monster seller and said a lot about what had happened to the music buying public. It went further downhill from there.

Then came Creed with all this bullshit posturing, backed only by some of the single most boring and uncreative, insipid crap with probably the single biggest cock in music history as a frontman. To make it worse, loads of people believed in it. For them, I feel truly sorry, as there is great music out there, plenty of it, but in the environments they are/were in this was what was great music to them. Shockingly sad state of affairs. These are the things that the UN and Amnesty International should be campaigning for: an overhall of FM radio in the US. Give the kids a fucking chance.

But then, just when you think corporate rock has reached a new low, bring on Nickelback to drop it a few more notches!!

Honestly, I don't believe that any member of U2, no matter how far their own band has fallen into the depths of corporate slop, would name Nickelback as a favourite. If so, everybody on this board should abandon ship immediately. The fucker is sinking fast.

I love you.

exactly. I prefer to base my music taste on what I enjoy listening to than what Bono's got on his turntable...

myusernamehere said:
Who cares what Bono likes to listen to? Seriously.

My "I love you" comment was more aimed at the point he was getting at.

That wasn't clear to me sorry ... :wink:

I thought you were referring to the part: Honestly, I don't believe that any member of U2, no matter how far their own band has fallen into the depths of corporate slop, would name Nickelback as a favourite. If so, everybody on this board should abandon ship immediately. The fucker is sinking fast.

I do not care what Adam clayton is listening to or Bono or Luciano Pavarotti.... but the fact remains that some people here are going to have to burn their cd's to hell because Bono once said he likes Nickelback. Reminds me of the Milli Vanilli (we sing..ehh not) incident where hundreds of people went on the street to crash a cd that they loved listening to...Blame it on the rain :whistle:

blahblahblah said:
exactly. I prefer to base my music taste on what I enjoy listening to than what Bono's got on his turntable...

It would be sad world if someones musical taste is based on the taste of his favourite singer..What if Bono would only liked listening to boybands all day....HELL on earth:huh:

Zoomerang96 said:

:wink:

i agree with everything you said

everything you will ever say

i love you, and more than 7ust as friends.

fcuk YA!!! Coldplay :coocoo:

I'm guessing most of you coldplay fans like Creed? Bon Jovi?.. how about Aerosmith?

Radiohead buries these losers.

zwervers2 said:

It would be sad world if someones musical taste is based on the taste of his favourite singer..What if Bono would only liked listening to boybands all day....HELL on earth:huh:

What about U2 using a boyband and being friendly with them (Boyzone!?!?!). It might actually be fact that Bono listens to Boyzone everyday! Remember when RadioOne visited Hanover Quay to find some special CDs!

Flying FuManchu said:

What about U2 using a boyband and being friendly with them (Boyzone!?!?!). It might actually be fact that Bono listens to Boyzone everyday! Remember when RadioOne visited Hanover Quay to find some special CDs!

That's why I'm glad it doens't apply to me...

No matter what they tell us.........:|

1stepcloser said:
The Smiths make both of these bands look like amateurs

Well, as far as technique is concerned, the Smiths make most bands look like amateurs.

Absolutely fantastic songwriting in that group.

XHendrix24 said:

Well, as far as technique is concerned, the Smiths make most bands look like amateurs.

Absolutely fantastic songwriting in that group.

couldn't agree more

Morrissey + Marr :drool:

MrBrau1 said:
Here's another to blow your head:

Bernard Butler is 10X the guitar play J.Greenwood is. And 20X the guitar player the dude from Coldplay is.

And Paul Weller is better than Coldplay & Radiohead put together.

I agree with this actually. Very well said.

Last edited:
Flying FuManchu said:

Leave it out, you're depressing me. The fact that the first sentence is true makes it worse.

But no, I don't think Bono listens to Boyzone every day, that's lunatic talk.

Zoomerang96 said:
oh and before i forget, does this weller carachter have a background in classical music? if so, has he ever conducted a symphony?

no? well, see the thing is 7onny sort of does...yeah.

Has Paul Weller ever conducted a symphony? I sincerely hope not.

So what, what's your point, frankly?

Oh man. This is the thread of the century. By far the single most entertaining thread I've ever participated in.

Aaaaaanyway. A Rush of Blood to the Head is far from being the best album of the 21st century so far (whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean). Heck, it's not even 1/10 as good as The Arcade Fire's Funeral. And that's just the first one that popped into my head.

It is, however, better than Hail to the Theif. That album is garbage.

But, Radiohead is still infinitely better than Coldplay.

Aaaaand, Bono looks totally badass in the video for "The Fly".

financeguy said:

Has Paul Weller ever conducted a symphony? I sincerely hope not.

So what, what's your point, frankly?

my point is that 7onny isn't "the guitarist of radiohead", rather he is talented in a wide range of areas that almost noone in the mainstream can also stake claim to.

so while he might not be anywhere near being the best technical guitarist (again, technical guitar is boring to me, but that's an opinion), he's equally talented with several other instruments.

Paul Weller....hehe

just so you know...he's about as good a guitarist as Neil Finn, and plays similar music. I don't see why his music...which has more piano than guitar would make anyone say he's a more brilliant guitarist than greenwood...they're not even in the same genre! And no...weller couldn't begin to use the guitar like Greenwood.

It's not that he's bad...but I'd much rather listen to Finn or Josh Rouse

Last edited:
Basstrap said:
Paul Weller....hehe

just so you know...he's about as good a guitarist as Neil Finn, and plays similar music. I don't see why his music...which has more piano than guitar would make anyone say he's a more brilliant guitarist than greenwood...they're not even in the same genre! And no...weller couldn't begin to use the guitar like Greenwood

This post makes it very obvious you know a couple of Weller's "Singles", and nothing about his records. Not to menton his work in The Jam.

Greenwood could never use his guitar like Weller. And nobody said he was a better guitar player than anyone, just better all around than Radiohead and Coldplay together.

It's Bernard Butler who shits on Johnny.

Last edited:
actually I've heard all of illumination and some scattered other tracks.

I'm not saying he's bad...but I don't see where you get the brialliant guitarist thing from.

Back
Top Bottom