Radiohead vs Coldplay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zootlesque said:

wait a minute, now you just can't hide away!!!

I'm right here, shaking my ass with the Devil while listening to Supergrass, and kissing the cheek of God while listening to Doves.

anitram said:
OK, so I finally got a chance to hear the new album.

It's kind of like Coldplay is intent on making ear candy music. The melody sounds pretty, most are soothing even. The lyrics are pretty goddamn awful if you take a closer listen (why the hell does Chris Martin insist on trying to rhyme everything? It's like 4th grade when you are assigned to write a poem and you think ever other line must rhyme, so you pick complementary words regardless of whether it makes any sense).

What I don't get is how people can spend time ripping into shit like Nickelback for constantly producing the same song when Coldplay has done the exact same thing for 3 albums? I can differentiate 2 songs on this new album, and the other 10 (11?) are absolutely indistinguishable to me.

And THAT has never happened on a Radiohead album.

I think the songs sound different. In fact all 3 albums are different sonically. Have you actually gave them more than one listen?

I do agree with the lyrics being on the week side on the new album.. However, U2s new album was very simple lyrically as well....and I have forgiven them. :wink:

And the Radiohead albums have Thom screeching and whining on every album. For that, they are similar.

Last edited:
'doves' suck.

in fact, you're the only person who's ever said they're better than radiohead in the history of the universe, thus muting your opinion to one of irrelevance.

Zoomerang96 said:
'doves' suck.

in fact, you're the only person who's ever said they're better than radiohead in the history of the universe, thus muting your opinion to one of irrelevance.

:lmao: Only you would say something as provoking (and comical at the same time) as that.

Zoomerang96 said:
'doves' suck.

3 :applaud: for art/prog rock fans!

Last edited:
Flying FuManchu said:

What's wrong with being a bit like one of Bono's favorite bands Nickelback? I don't see the similarity though.

Is that sarcastic? If Bono has said anything good about Nickelback, I promise you, I will trash all my U2 CD's immediately.

MrBrau1 said:

3 :applaud: for art/prog rock fans!

i've always said rush suck horse balls.

as for the art end of things, i guess that's a burn? i'm still sitting here trying to figure that one out...which either means you're really bad at putting someone in their place, or you're really bad at putting someone in their place.

~check'n mate

Here's another to blow your head:

Bernard Butler is 10X the guitar play J.Greenwood is. And 20X the guitar player the dude from Coldplay is.

And Paul Weller is better than Coldplay & Radiohead put together.

Ask your friends. They won't know.

i never really got into radiohead...i dont even own a cd...what would you reccomend?

i have all the coldplay cds.....awesome band. somewhere in my top 5.

mkdominatr said:
i never really got into radiohead...i dont even own a cd...what would you reccomend?

i have all the coldplay cds.....awesome band. somewhere in my top 5.

Buy Yes or Alan Parsons Project records. Same prog rock as Radiohead after OK.

Matchbox 20 made me feel physicaly ill. That first album full of shit was a monster seller and said a lot about what had happened to the music buying public. It went further downhill from there.

Then came Creed with all this bullshit posturing, backed only by some of the single most boring and uncreative, insipid crap with probably the single biggest cock in music history as a frontman. To make it worse, loads of people believed in it. For them, I feel truly sorry, as there is great music out there, plenty of it, but in the environments they are/were in this was what was great music to them. Shockingly sad state of affairs. These are the things that the UN and Amnesty International should be campaigning for: an overhall of FM radio in the US. Give the kids a fucking chance.

But then, just when you think corporate rock has reached a new low, bring on Nickelback to drop it a few more notches!!

Honestly, I don't believe that any member of U2, no matter how far their own band has fallen into the depths of corporate slop, would name Nickelback as a favourite. If so, everybody on this board should abandon ship immediately. The fucker is sinking fast.

MrBrau1 said:

Bernard Butler is 10X the guitar play J.Greenwood is. And 20X the guitar player the dude from Coldplay is.

ha, i know greenwood isn't the best. not even close. but he's easily my favourite.

he's a very dirty player...technical guitarists aren't my thing.

but here's the real question...what else can weller play? can he play the ondes? piano? is he good with a drum machine? what about a xylophone?

oh and before i forget, does this weller carachter have a background in classical music? if so, has he ever conducted a symphony?

no? well, see the thing is 7onny sort of does...yeah.

7ack of all trades, but perhaps master of none. still the most intriguing musician today, in my opinion.

ask your friends, your momma.

MrBrau1 said:

Bernard Butler and Paul Weller are both fan-fucking-tastic.
I don't buying into the 'better guitar player' debate though.

MrBrau1 said:

Buy Yes or Alan Parsons Project records. Same prog rock as Radiohead after OK.

i guess kind of like how u2 is the new creed with their latest shift into "rock and roll".

hey, what can i say. creed were really big back in the day.

i confess to not knowing anything about either of the people brau mentioned.

absolutely nothing.

they could probably be in wilco, and as long as they're not tweedy, i still wouldn't know.

unless i have a crush on someone, i won't remember names.

7ared from subway, for example.

Last edited:
Zoomerang96 said:

unless i have a crush on someone, i won't remember names.

7ared from subway, for example.

:laugh:

Paul Weller was the creative force behind The Jam. His current solo efforts are some of my favorite records ever. He's a love for The Who and The Supremes, and has a penchant great R&B inspired rock. He's God.

Bernard Butler was the guitar player for Suede, on their 1st 2 albums (1993 and 1994), both of which are classics.. His 2 solo records were ok, but he needed the singer from Suede to balance his guitar work. They rejoined and formed a band called The Tears. Which is brilliant and recalls the 1st 2 Suede records.

At least we can all agree Supergrass are better than Radiohead or Coldplay. :wink: Music should be somewhat joyful.

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:
Music should be somewhat joyful.
while i agree that radiohead's music might not be best described as 'joyful', i think it a lot of it is beautiful.

and i'll take that over happy sounding shit anyday.

I love the Doves, but can't stand Supergrass, one video clip aside.

Music shouldn't be any one thing. Joyful, sad, beautiful, direct, reflect the sound of a 2005 NYC traffic jam or an 1850 French Battlefield. Doesn't matter as long as it's honest. If you can only enjoy music that is joyful, you're missing the point.

MrBrau1 said:

:laugh:

Paul Weller was the creative force behind The Jam. His current solo efforts are some of my favorite records ever. He's a love for The Who and The Supremes, and has a penchant great R&B inspired rock. He's God.

Bernard Butler was the guitar player for Suede, on their 1st 2 albums (1993 and 1994), both of which are classics.. His 2 solo records were ok, but he needed the singer from Suede to balance his guitar work. They rejoined and formed a band called The Tears. Which is brilliant and recalls the 1st 2 Suede records.

At least we can all agree Supergrass are better than Radiohead or Coldplay. :wink: Music should be somewhat joyful.

ah, thanks for the clarification.

supergrass isn't bad, not my favourite by no means.

7oyful music when done right can be the best thing ever. like olsen olsen by sigur and ros on a country road in the middle of nowhere, watching a meteor shower.

yeah...that was awesome.

Zoomerang96 said:
'doves' suck.

I don't really know why, but, zoomerang, I must admit you made me laugh out loud and almost spit my vodka and coke out

really nice

I will agree with you and say that everyone who thinks that Coldplay are SOMEHOW better than radiohead are IDIOTS

seriously...oh my god

Reading this thread hurts in some ways...but it's nice to see that far more people like Radiohead

oh my god
oh my god
chris martin...what have you done?

Fuck..Parachutes actually showed some potential...but all for NAUGHT

goddamn...coldplay don't compare
sweet jesus

everyone who said coldplay are OBJECTIVELY WRONG

this is science

Basstrap said:

I don't really know why, but, zoomerang, I must admit you made me laugh out loud and almost spit my vodka and coke out

really nice

I will agree with you and say that everyone who thinks that Coldplay are SOMEHOW better than radiohead are IDIOTS

seriously...oh my god

Reading this thread hurts in some ways...but it's nice to see that far more people like Radiohead

oh my god
oh my god
chris martin...what have you done?

Fuck..Parachutes actually showed some potential...but all for NAUGHT

goddamn...coldplay don't compare
sweet jesus

everyone who said coldplay are OBJECTIVELY WRONG

this is science

:wink:

i agree with everything you said

everything you will ever say

i love you, and more than 7ust as friends.

Back
Top Bottom