Radiohead vs Coldplay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmmm, let me think about his for a minute....

Songwriting? Radiohead
Musical ability? Radiohead
Creativity? Radiohead
Depth? Radiohead
Lyrics? Radiohead
Best album vs Best album? Radiohead
Importance? Radiohead

I think the question should be; Name a category where Coldplay come out on top.

Ooh! I've got one: Radio play? Coldplay.

Radiohead.

There's now way anybody could POSSIBLY say Coldplay and put forward a decent argument on why they're the better band musically.

Yes, fine it's a matter of opinion but at the end of the day, Radiohead are by far the more original of the two with Coldplay having just presented a new album of stuff that sounds just the same as they're too anxious to go and explore new 'musical territory' like Radiohead have always been!

Hahaha! I KNEW I'd seen and posted in this topic before! My opinion of Coldplay appears to have drastically changed in the last month!

I don't think there's really any doubt that Radiohead is the better band, although I'm one of those people who thinks they peaked with the Bends and went off the deep end after ok computer.

I don't really have a dog in this race but I just find it easier to root for Coldplay than Radiohead. Radiohead is easy to admire but harder to love.

purpleblackeye said:
The comparison is a real joke. It's like comparing The Beatles to Matchbox 20 or something.

What are you talking about? Everyone on this planet knows that Matchbox 20 had far more musical talent and impact than The Beatles ever did!

:wink:

Lancemc said:

Best. Post. Ever.

Radiohead are lightyears ahead of Coldplay right now. Yes, I do like Coldplay....but come on....is there even a contest?

The day Chris Martin writes a song with even 1/10 the quality, emotion, beauty, or grace of True Love Waits, is the day I might reconsider Martin's real songwriting capabilities.

Glad to see another fan of True Love Waits! fun to play too...

I posted my "diplomatic" answer earlier in this thread, before I heard X&Y. Now that I've heard X&Y (and listened to some Radiohead afterwards) I have to say Radiohead completely kicks Coldplay's ass in every way.

zwervers2 said:
Without a breath of hessitation Radiohead.

"Ambition makes you look pretty ugly"

Coldplay is a different band with a different sound but there is no way they will ever EVER create something as beautiful as OK Computer which is one of the must have albums...

Everytime I hear Thom sing

"A job that slowly kills you bruises that won't heal"

I start to cry a little...utter beauty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As if that's a fact. Ooooookay...

I like both and will buy any new release both bands put out. Outside of the crooners and their use of falsetto, I think they make different stuff with a different bent unless you want to compare who sounds more whiney. I really consider Coldplay's use of minimalist guitar, plain spoken lyrics, and simple sound to be pretty refreshing and interesting stuff.

uhhhh... is this even a contest?

radiohead fo' sure :wink:

"i laugh until my heads falls off... "

after having a chance to see both bands live, radiohead beats them everyway except coldplay have more appeal to parents, supermarkets, high school students and frat boys:|

Last edited:
Earnie Shavers said:
Hmmmm, let me think about his for a minute....

Songwriting? Radiohead
Musical ability? Radiohead
Creativity? Radiohead
Depth? Radiohead
Lyrics? Radiohead
Best album vs Best album? Radiohead
Importance? Radiohead

I think the question should be; Name a category where Coldplay come out on top.

Ooh! I've got one: Radio play? Coldplay.

Songwriting? One group is more plain spoken in their lyrics but can be subtle in what they are trying to say. A band that writes with a more hopeful bent. Another group focuses on dross/ melancholy but with a little wit while trying not to be too hopeful. How can one compare one style and say its better than the other?

Musical ability? I'd say Radiohead has more musical ability but then this is a U2 board and the majority of posters/ fans here seem to believe musical ability isn't important b/c the more techinque/ skill you have, the less soul you have as well less ability you have in making good music. So does Radiohead really want to be known as a band with great musical ability when its looked down upon on this board. :wink:

Creativity? Creativity within their own sphere of music? Isn't everyone creative in their own way. That is a curious prerequiste to greatness. Creativity in rock music these days (or always) is more of how well you steal from others and make it into your own sound. Both bands do it. Both bands have progressed sonically. I could see it being about the same considering how X&Y sounds to be a big progression (just started listening). Computer blips, jazz, drum machines do not = creativity.

Depth Dunno. Another subjective criteria. What makes Radiohead seem more deep? Melancholy = depth?

Lyrics are relative IMO. Refer back to my comment on songwriting.

Best Album vs Best Album Wow. So basically one's subjective criteria versus another's. What makes a "best album?"

Importance
Before the release of X & Y, IMO Coldplay was stomping Radiohead in terms of importance. Why? The releases Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief and weren't as influential/ important to the mainstream and maybe even to the underground (i dunno, but my impression) as OK Computer. Some of Radiohead's luster was gone cuz of that. While Coldplay was all over the place blew way big b/c of A Rush of Blood.... Rush of Blood is not my favorite Coldplay album ever but I cannot deny it made a huge impact critically and commercially.

Radioplay = Unfortunately Coldplay wins on that one.

So with a lot of draws/ inconclusives and a few categories going to Coldplay.... Its obvious Coldplay is better than Radiohead :wink:

Last edited:
elevation2u said:
uhhhh... is this even a contest?

radiohead fo' sure :wink:

"i laugh until my heads falls off... "

after having a chance to see both bands live, radiohead beats them everyway except coldplay have more appeal to parents, supermarkets, high school students and frat boys:|

We all know that parents, high school students, and frat boys have a more mature/ complex taste in music.

Score one for Coldplay!

Last edited:
Flying FuManchu said:
Importance
Before the release of X & Y, IMO Coldplay was stomping Radiohead in terms of importance. Why? The releases Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief and weren't as influential/ important to the mainstream and maybe even to the underground (i dunno, but my impression) as OK Computer. Some of Radiohead's luster was gone cuz of that. While Coldplay was all over the place blew way big b/c of A Rush of Blood.... Rush of Blood is not my favorite Coldplay album ever but I cannot deny it made a huge impact critically and commercially.

How does an album being everywhere and lapped up by the world and his wife make it 'Important'? An important album is something that completely rips everyone a new asshole and sends popular music off in a completely new direction thanks to outstanding musical ability, inspired songs and just being completely different to everything around it!

Radiohead are far more 'Important' to music than Coldplay. Heck, they're the most important band of the last 10-12 years! Not one other 'mainstream/indie' band around at the moment has made such a unique string of albums and has been willing to make the most incredible music by whatever means possible! Kid A? That's possibly coupled with OK Computer as the most important album of the last decade, and the band released NO singles from it and everyone started bitching because of that, and the fact that it was rarely played on the radio or not promoted on the same scale as a huge follow up like 'X+Y'...

The minute Coldplay decide to pull their sucked teenage thumbs out of their ass and make something new and 'dare to explore musically'...like Radiohead have done since 'The Bends', then they are just going to be treading water in a puddle of misery, unoriginality, boredom and plain musical inability.

I hardly see 'X+Y' and 'A Rush of Blood' to be signs that Coldplay are more important to music than Radiohead since Radiohead's influence stretches FAR further in FAR MORE fields musically! They have the ability to excite us time and time again by continually moving FORWARD and not dwelling on the success of the last record by rehashing the same sound...they can seduce rock mega-fans to electronica and vice versa...they can put on a fantastic live show!

What do we have to thank Coldplay for? Opening the door to 'Athlete', 'Keane' and a ton of other melancholy depressed bedroom writers...!

yeah, my diplomatic post was a while ago, too...:ohmy:

Last edited:
blahblahblah said:

How does an album being everywhere and lapped up by the world and his wife make it 'Important'? An important album is something that completely rips everyone a new asshole and sends popular music off in a completely new direction thanks to outstanding musical ability, inspired songs and just being completely different to everything around it!

And that is what happened with Coldplay's Rush of Blood IMO. shoegazer rock (alah you mentioning Keane, etc.) took to the streets more prevalently. You just proved my point mentioning what you said. It was everywhere and was lapped up by everyone, including critics. This was the same situation with Radiohead and OK Computer. They became the "IT" band just as Coldplay would later become. If that is not influence and importance then what is? Is importance really supposed to be appealing to solely a niche audience or "beard strokers?"

Ripping a new asshole? LOL. How? By not getting airplay or influence outside of one's garage? Music in a completely new direction? How the hell did Radiohead do that? New? Can you explain how that happened? Where did popular music go b/c of Radiohead? Radiohead influenced the whole garage rock thing? Or the boy band thing that was huge a while back when they were around? Did they influence the hip hop thing? I'll give that Radiohead were treading new ground within their sphere of music. But in general I have to disagree.

Radiohead are far more 'Important' to music than Coldplay. Heck, they're the most important band of the last 10-12 years! Not one other 'mainstream/indie' band around at the moment has made such a unique string of albums and has been willing to make the most incredible music by whatever means possible! Kid A? That's possibly coupled with OK Computer as the most important album of the last decade, and the band released NO singles from it and everyone started bitching because of that, and the fact that it was rarely played on the radio or not promoted on the same scale as a huge follow up like 'X+Y'...

The minute Coldplay decide to pull their sucked teenage thumbs out of their ass and make something new and 'dare to explore musically'...like Radiohead have done since 'The Bends', then they are just going to be treading water in a puddle of misery, unoriginality, boredom and plain musical inability.

Again explain the "new and daring" part to me? Shouldn't Aphex Twin get some credit from Radiohead?

I hardly see 'X+Y' and 'A Rush of Blood' to be signs that Coldplay are more important to music than Radiohead since Radiohead's influence stretches FAR further in FAR MORE fields musically! They have the ability to excite us time and time again by continually moving FORWARD and not dwelling on the success of the last record by rehashing the same sound...they can seduce rock mega-fans to electronica and vice versa...they can put on a fantastic live show!

Subjective opinion definitely making the rounds now. Didn't Radiohead try to mish mash their old sounds and new with the "stunning" Hail to the Thief? Was Radiohead that successful after Amnesiac. Hell, mentioning, Amnesiac which was released soon after Kid A sort of kills your rehash statement doesn't it?

Also... what did I say about musical ability on a U2 board?

Last edited:
Nobody is talking about Radiohead anymore. Their last two albums were mediocre at best. I am anxious to see how the 'new' stuff will sound. Granted, The Bends - OK Computer - Kid A are quite a trio of albums.

However, everyone is talking about Coldplay. The thought that this thread even exists tells you so. They are everywhere at the moment and not by accident. Not to mention Parachutes - AROBTTH - X&Y are a good trio of albums as well.

It will be interesting to see how X&Ys first week sales were. I expect it to do very well.

Last edited:
1.gif
2.gif
3.gif
4.gif
5.gif
AIM20Bear.gif
:dance:;)

i wish this had been a real poll.

coldplay is nothing music. it is remarkable though, how they can create such a dull sound time and again. they haven't progressed at all, despite their album name being somewhat "daring".

honestly, all the talent that coldplay ammasses collectively doesn't even amount to a fraction that 7onny greenwood possesses.

in fact, coldplay's guitarist is really quite poor. he's adds "fills", he serves no purpose. coldplay is only marginally better than keane, and that my friends, is about as bad as gets when it comes to brit pop.

Zoomerang96 said:
i wish this had been a real poll.

coldplay is nothing music. it is remarkable though, how they can create such a dull sound time and again. they haven't progressed at all, despite their album name being somewhat "daring".

honestly, all the talent that coldplay ammasses collectively doesn't even amount to a fraction that 7onny greenwood possesses.

in fact, coldplay's guitarist is really quite poor. he's adds "fills", he serves no purpose. coldplay is only marginally better than keane, and that my friends, is about as bad as gets when it comes to brit pop.

Coldplay wouldn't be defined as britpop would they? I believe Coldplay's guitarist is the core to their success to be honest. He does play simple stuff though the term "fills" needs some clarification but then he rips off the Edge's own defense for playing simple stuff. :wink:

OK, so I finally got a chance to hear the new album.

It's kind of like Coldplay is intent on making ear candy music. The melody sounds pretty, most are soothing even. The lyrics are pretty goddamn awful if you take a closer listen (why the hell does Chris Martin insist on trying to rhyme everything? It's like 4th grade when you are assigned to write a poem and you think ever other line must rhyme, so you pick complementary words regardless of whether it makes any sense).

What I don't get is how people can spend time ripping into shit like Nickelback for constantly producing the same song when Coldplay has done the exact same thing for 3 albums? I can differentiate 2 songs on this new album, and the other 10 (11?) are absolutely indistinguishable to me.

And THAT has never happened on a Radiohead album.

^ agree
:up:
maybe they rushed to the studio with all their success and couldnt wait to throw out another album the critics would love and praise, they shouldve worked on it longer..it doesnt have the authenticity their first 2 albums at least managed to have..this one feels rushed especially the lyrics...they're too lenghty and dont go anywhere except for boring rhymes and the music... dont get started on the music...
yea radiohead and coldplay are 2 different bands but the difference is regardless radiohead are innovating, eccentric, interesting and arent going out making bold statements about their greatness even though they could back it up.
coldplay? ZzzZzzZZzz

Back
Top Bottom