Radiohead vs Coldplay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The OOTS said:

Radiohead could record 45 minutes straight feedback and their fans would defend it as creative and innovative.

I want to hear more of Bends or OK Computer from them. Those were their only 2 good albums through and through. Very good stuff!! Don't bury 1 or 2 good songs amongst a pile of doodie and expect me to follow like the other sheep.

it's opinions like yours who have devestated u2 into making the tripe they currently manufacture by the boat load these days.

why do you want bands to remake sounds/songs that WERE ALREADY MADE? if you want to listen to the bends or ok computer - GO LISTEN TO THE BENDS OR OK COMPUTER.

this is exactly what happened to u2...they bought into it, and are now trying everything they possibly can to make the sound that their fair-weather fans "like".

there are so many sounds that have never been heard before, why not create something new?

7ust how many artists (painters) do you know that repeated themselves their entire career and are held in high regard today?

PROGRESS.

Last edited:
Zoomerang96 said:
it's opinions like yours who have devestated u2 into making the tripe they currently manufacture by the boat load these days.

why do you want bands to remake sounds/songs that WERE ALREADY MADE? if you want to listen to the bends or ok computer - GO LISTEN TO THE BENDS OR OK COMPUTER.

this is exactly what happened to u2...they bought into it, and are now trying everything they possibly can to make the sound that their fair-weather fans "like".

there are so many sounds that have never been heard before, why not create something new?

7ust how many artists (painters) do you know that repeated themselves their entire career and are held in high regard today?

PROGRESS.

Apparently Zoomerang the fair-weather fans are those of us don't uncritically applaud every single thing U2 put out even if it's muck.

But I pretty much agree with you.

The OOTS said:

Radiohead could record 45 minutes straight feedback and their fans would defend it as creative and innovative.

:lol:

just because a band is creative, it doesn't suddeny make them the be-all and end-all of music. Plus i never said Ok Computer was a bad album (karma police and the tourist :drool: ), just a bit dissapointing for all the plaudits it gets. And the last 3 albums didn't exactly blow my mind.

I just prefer Coldplays songs, even if they aren't exactly reinventing the wheel.

U2 put them both to shame though :wink:

Zoomerang96 said:

PROGRESS.

Ehh...I'm getting the impression you two are just stoking the fire here :hug:.

:larry: :adam: :edge: :bono: =
:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

:shame:

1stepcloser said:

:lol:

just because a band is creative, it doesn't suddeny make them the be-all and end-all of music. Plus i never said Ok Computer was a bad album (karma police and the tourist :drool: ), just a bit dissapointing for all the plaudits it gets.

Disapointing and OK Computer DO NOT belong in the same sentence. If you are disapointed by OK Computer then you have high musical expectations. Can you not see the beauty in Airbag(fuckin hell just thinking about that song, it is the 2nd best opening album track ever, the first being Zoo Station) Subterranean Homesick Alien, Let Down, Lucky, Climbing Up The Walls and so on? Your talking absolute classics here, and your DISAPOINTED. bloody hell...........

rjhbonovox said:

Disapointing and OK Computer DO NOT belong in the same sentence. If you are disapointed by OK Computer then you have high musical expectations. Can you not see the beauty in Airbag(fuckin hell just thinking about that song, it is the 2nd best opening album track ever, the first being Zoo Station) Subterranean Homesick Alien, Let Down, Lucky, Climbing Up The Walls and so on? Your talking absolute classics here, and your DISAPOINTED. bloody hell...........

i can think of a lot more songs i'd rather have open an album than Airbag.....i will follow, gloria, ASOH, streets, to name but a few. but that's beside the point. Lucky is an awesome song but the awesome songs on that album are few and far between whereas if you put on Achtung Baby then they just come one after another.

good album overall i think but the way some people talk about it on here is like it's untouchable or something. i can think of quite a few albums i'd rather listen to. nice artwork though.

financeguy said:

Apparently Zoomerang the fair-weather fans are those of us don't uncritically applaud every single thing U2 put out even if it's muck.

But I pretty much agree with you.

I actually thought the last 2 U2 albums were very safe and simple efforts by a band capable of much more.

The OOTS said:

I actually thought the last 2 U2 albums were very safe and simple efforts by a band capable of much more.

Fitter

Happier

More Productive

Ambition

Makes

You

Look

Pretty

Ugly

If Coldplay weren't appreciated by the mainstream audience, and if AROBTTH the head didn't sell so many copies worldwide, many of the people making unqualified dismissals of Coldplay's ability to craft brilliant music would not be expressing such sentiments....

...because remember, the popular anti-coldplay sentiment that exists on this board is all down to the assumption that:

"if it's mainstream, if it's not heavy and if guitars aren't the primary choice of instrument, the band is bad."

What a sad, bigoted and prejudiced world we live in if we see it fit to bag a band for making music that they want to make whilst simultaneuosly enchanting the 16 million people who've got copies of their albums.

If you want to criticise Coldplay, listen to their material a couple of times and then judge the music for yourself.

Don't let fashionable and conformist frames of thought influence your views on whether a song is good or not.

rjhbonovox said:

No you're right....

disspointing does not belong in the same sentence as Ok Computer.

Instead dissapointing belongs in the same sentence as The Bends.

Whilst it's still a 3.5 star album, it is SO MUCH inferior to Ok Computer (a rare 6 star album).

Bends can be quite dull: Bulletproof, My Iron Lung

The OOTS said:

Can't really agree with you saying HTDAAB is "safe".

I mean every song is radically different from each other. No two songs sound similar. Conventionally, vertigo and All Because of You are similar, but it still surprises me that they are still on the same album.

U2's most accomplished album, no their best, but most accomplished. It encapsulates so much of what U2 is about.

Even so, U2 do need to take a more radical approach to the next album, unless they are planning on releasing a Zooropa-like mid-tour album.

Zoomerang96 said:

PROGRESS.

Is that ALL that matters though?

One should never underestimate how difficult it can be to write a decent sounding song.

i just read this entire thread

and the thing i noticed is that there is a very clear cut distinction between the type of person who prefers radiohead and the type of person who prefers coldplay.

i would get into that observation further, but i don't want to insult anyone.

bonosgirl84 said:
i just read this entire thread

and the thing i noticed is that there is a very clear cut distinction between the type of person who prefers radiohead and the type of person who prefers coldplay.

i would get into that observation further, but i don't want to insult anyone.

Very wise I think you are....(sorry, I'm in the midst of a Yoda-speech infatuation).

:wink:

I love The Bends and OK Computer, but I despise Pablo Honey, Kid A, Amnesiac, and Hail to the Thief. At the same time, I like all 3 of Coldplay's cds, but not quite as much as the 2 of Radiohead's that I enjoy. What does this all mean? It's a draw! :yes:

I wager my PASSION is far greater than yours!!!

Simply based on my mainstream appeal and your extremely narrow view towards a man with a following.

One could almost arbitrarily say that... I don't know, let's see... in a battle of my passion vs. Ace#1's passion, my soulful posts of introspection would superiorly make Ace look like a chump.

In a battle of Passion.

It's important. Pay attention. Take notes.

Passion.

Maybe we can be friends then Ace.

Maybe our PASSIONS could co-exist.

~The More You Know

Back
Top Bottom