Radiohead vs Coldplay - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2005, 03:38 PM   #166
Refugee

Local Time: 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine

Whinge whinge whinge, get over it mate!

You hate coldplay, not the music, you hate the concept of coldplay. You're biased. I Can't take what you're saying seriously anymore.

By the way, here's my major problem with the anti-Coldplay sentiment that exists on this board.

It seems that this fact applies to when considering how good a band is:

"If a band isn't daring, then they are shit."

That's the bullshit theory that exists on this forum.

Once a band manages to generate some kind of mainstream appeal, they are thought of with negativity. That's a disgraceful way of forming opinions about bands.

The fact that Coldplay, an unfashionable band with an unfashionable lead singer unfashionable music for the 21st century, CAN generate some kind of mainstream appeal is quite admirable in this day and age.

I'm a big radiohead fan by the way. It's just I get the feeling there are some people who are letting their prejudices against Coldplay get in the way of deciphering whether a song sounds good or not.

Just because it's mainstream, doesn't make it bad. Anyone who has that opinion is a supercillious snobby tosspot

Old 06-12-2005, 04:59 PM   #167
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:40 AM
I can't believe this thread is still going on.

Radiohead > Coldplay

where Coldplay ≠ amazing music {even by a long run}

Old 06-12-2005, 05:06 PM   #168
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by rjhbonovox

Oh dear, with a username like that I expected better taste. the Smiths are/were shite and no smart arse Gay Morrissey lyrics will ever change the fact that they were indeed shite. Radiohead and Coldplay are 2 great bands, one clearly inspired by the other. Just that Radiohead haven't released a truly great album since 1997's Ok Computer, Kid A was good but patchy as were Amnesiac and Hail To The Thief. Coldplay's latest album, after a week of listening, is very good indeed!
right, this post has got me immensely annoyed

The Smiths are twice the band that Radiohead and coldplay are. have you ever even listened to any of their songs? or have you just heard one of morrisseys poorer efforts and assumed it was the smiths?? johnny marr was one of the finest guitarists of his generation. you tried to mock someone for their taste in music yet you then say 'the smiths were shite'. talk about contradictions.......
Old 06-12-2005, 05:33 PM   #169
Refugee

Local Time: 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 1stepcloser

The Smiths are twice the band that Radiohead and coldplay are. have you ever even listened to any of their songs? or have you just heard one of morrisseys poorer efforts and assumed it was the smiths?? johnny marr was one of the finest guitarists's of his generation. you tried to mock someone for their taste in music yet you then say 'the smiths were shite'. talk about contradictions.......
That post has me slightly annoyed as well.

No matter your taste in music, I think the smart (not just smart arse, mind you) lyrics and skillful songwriting/guitar playing are apparent. I'd be willing to bet that anyone fairly interested in music theory would be a fan of The Smiths. Though, I'm not saying that if you don't like The Smiths, you're a musical dumbass.

That being said, I agree with my quoted post in that The Smiths (at least as far as musical theory goes, since all music is objective blahblah) probably surpass the likes of Radiohead. And DEFINATELY surpass the likes of Coldplay.

That being said, I'm not an obsessive fan of any of these bands and I think they all have their merits (mainly The Smiths and Radiohead, but Coldplay isn't complete slop either). No reason for silly band rivalries hindering my music-listening experiences.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:45 PM   #170
Rock n' Roll Doggie

i suppose everyone has their own opinion on music but to say the smiths were shite is unforgivable
Old 06-12-2005, 05:51 PM   #171
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:40 AM
I will eat you all alive, there'll be no more lies

Old 06-12-2005, 05:58 PM   #172
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
I can't believe this thread is still going on.

Radiohead > Coldplay

where Coldplay ≠ amazing music {even by a long run}
Different bands really.
That's what makes this thread so ridiculously stupid.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:59 PM   #173
Refugee

Quote:
i suppose everyone has their own opinion on music but to say the smiths were shite is unforgivable
Old 06-12-2005, 07:24 PM   #174
The Fly

Local Time: 07:40 AM
Re: I will eat you all alive, there'll be no more lies

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
Ok.. I just have to say.. this is the best thing ever.

EVAR!

(I think I'm gonna get a deathbear tattooed on my arm)
Old 06-12-2005, 07:27 PM   #175
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by rjhbonovox

Ahhh man don't mention The Police they were crap as was most of Stin'g solo efforts. He is the biggest pretensious arsehole out there. I remember him saying about Larry and Adams Mission Impossible theme version....."My 10yr old could have done better than that" or something like that....Sting was/is a nobhead!
sting may be an asshole but ive also read that morrissey is the same... but im sorry i love the police to me they were one of the best 80s bands..they didnt do any of that 80's elctronic/synth stuff and still rocked...the music doesnt sound of out date even today.. too bad they only made like 5 records
Old 06-12-2005, 07:42 PM   #176
Refugee

Local Time: 07:40 AM
Quote:

The Smiths are twice the band that Radiohead and coldplay are. have you ever even listened to any of their songs? or have you just heard one of morrisseys poorer efforts and assumed it was the smiths?? johnny marr was one of the finest guitarists of his generation. you tried to mock someone for their taste in music yet you then say 'the smiths were shite'. talk about contradictions.......
Girlfriend in a coma, Heaven knows I'm miserable now (fucking am after listening to this shit), How soon is now, sheila take a bow, what difference does it make(they make no difference cos there shite) and on and on, yes I have heard of a lot Smiths songs (cos I was around in the very drab music of the 80's) and they were crap and Morrissey as a solo artist is just slightly better but not much. Also Johnny Marr is one of the most overrated guitarists I have ever heard with his simple twanging. Yep The Smiths are one of the most overrated bands ever to have walked this earth and speaking of Manchester bands I also can't stand Stone Roses, Happy Mondays and Joy Division also massively overrated for there very limited achievements.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:07 PM   #177
Refugee

Local Time: 02:40 AM
..Waitwaitwait. Simple twanging?!?

Certainly you can't blame The Smiths for barely using any effects (barring How Soon Is Now?) in their songs while still keeping the songs fairly guitar-driven?

I mean, to each his own. But, I do find it kind of ironic that you're touting a controversial list of "overrated bands," and yet you're defending Radiohead at the same time.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:42 PM   #178
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:40 PM
radiohead are underrated

and the smiths are so so lovely ..
brilliant lyrics and voice.music is good..not the greatest but certainly not the worst

'half a person', 'please, pelase, please let me get what i want', 'i know it's over' , 'there is a light that never goes out'... the last smiths songs ive played during this week
Old 06-12-2005, 09:35 PM   #179
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:40 AM
people please.

can we agree that the smiths and radiohead were/are BOTH good times?

i thought so.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:40 PM   #180
ONE
love, blood, life

yes both the Smiths and Radiohead were/are good. I usually find that people who like one, also like the other but there are exceptions.

Tags
coldplay, radiohead