Radiohead Survivor - Album Ranking - Round 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your LEAST Favorite LP

• The Bends

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • OK Computer

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Kid A

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • In Rainbows

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that IR is the best of 2007, but it's in good company:

Sound Of Silver
Neon Bible
Wincing The Night Away
GaGaGaGa
Proof Of Youth
Graduation

:drool: :drool: :drool:

u2popmofo said:

So there are no albums out there this year that you don't like more than 60% of the tracks on? Glad I don't have your ears.

:wink:

every other album this year

I only liked 30 % which is less :wink:

I'll give you Sound of Silver and Neon Bible, Lance, maybe even Volta, but Sky Bkue Sky?

Hawhawhawhawhaw.

Great Wilco <<<<<< Good Radiohead

Yeah, Sky Blue Sky isn't on IR's level. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot could maybe reach it, but that was 5 years ago. :wink:

lazarus said:
I'll give you Sound of Silver and Neon Bible, Lance, maybe even Volta, but Sky Bkue Sky?

Hawhawhawhawhaw.

I disagree with that inequality.

But I'd also say SBS is hardly "great Wilco". Unfortunately for Radiohead there's nothing remotely at touching as SBS' title track or as organic and exciting You Are My Face on In Lamebows.

That said I'm not even entirely convinced myself that it's the superior album, as SBS has quite a few duds on it.

This is going to sound really snotty, but I don't even think there's an American musician or band that could put out anything on the level of what Radiohead's been doing for the last 10 years.

Super Furry Animals, maybe. That's about the only band operating on that kind of ambitious and creative level.

Wilco are a bunch of overachivers who make pleasant music that's not nearly as experimental as their fans would like to believe. It's alternative music for frat boys. They were better BEFORE Yankee Hotel Foxtrot when they didn't have their heads up their asses (and still had Jay Bennett), though it doesn't matter because My Morning Jacket is fitting that role better now anyway. They're not Pavement, I don't care how many non-sensical lyrics Tweedy puts to paper, or how many jerk-off solos Nels Cline puts to tape.

lazarus said:

Wilco are a bunch of overachivers who make pleasant music that's not nearly as experimental as their fans would like to believe. It's alternative music for frat boys. They were better BEFORE Yankee Hotel Foxtrot when they didn't have their heads up their asses (and still had Jay Bennett), though it doesn't matter because My Morning Jacket is fitting that role better now anyway. They're not Pavement, I don't care how many non-sensical lyrics Tweedy puts to paper, or how many jerk-off solos Nels Cline puts to tape.

I REALLY like this Lazarus character! I think you'd like my "Wilco are the Matchbox 20 of indie rock" thread from years back. :wink:

Lancemc said:

I disagree with that inequality.

But I'd also say SBS is hardly "great Wilco". Unfortunately for Radiohead there's nothing remotely at touching as SBS' title track or as organic and exciting You Are My Face on In Lamebows.

That said I'm not even entirely convinced myself that it's the superior album, as SBS has quite a few duds on it.

Who comes to Radiohead for "organic" anyway. It's european music. It's art.

And I'm sorry, but that last minute of All I Need is a level of beauty that Wilco couldn't reach if Jim O'Rourke strapped them to a rocket and fired it into the stratosphere.

lazarus said:
Super Furry Animals, maybe. That's about the only band operating on that kind of ambitious and creative level.

Good call. I like this Lazarus character as well. :wink: I might take Radiator over IR given a choice. Not sure.

I like Wilco, but that pretty much sums up everything that's wrong about the painfully dull (and occasionally just painful) A Ghost Is Born.

intedomine said:
This is fucking disgusting, how is In rainbows being voted out prior to the rubbish that is Bends

Don't feel too bad; I guarantee you that Bends is next. There are too many that feel Kid A is the greatest thing ever put to wax for it to be sent packing just yet.

LemonMelon said:
I like Wilco, but that pretty much sums up everything that's wrong about the painfully dull (and occasionally just painful) A Ghost Is Born.

I don't know, for all my criticism I still like AGIB. I LIKE the jams. It's musically more interesting than Yankee, at least. I'll take At Least That's What You Said, Hell Is Chrome, and Spiders (Kidsmoke) over that whole damned album, which may very well be the most overrated thing of the decade.

"I'm an American aquarium drinker/I assassin down the avenue" Are you fucking kidding me? At least Malkmus is tongue in cheek with the gibberish he writes.

lazarus said:

I don't know, for all my criticism I still like AGIB. I LIKE the jams. It's musically more interesting than Yankee, at least. I'll take At Least That's What You Said, Hell Is Chrome, and Spiders (Kidsmoke) over that whole damned album, which may very well be the most overrated thing of the decade.

"I'm an American aquarium drinker/I assassin down the avenue" Are you fucking kidding me? At least Malkmus is tongue in cheek with the gibberish he writes.

Someone that dislikes YHF but likes AGIB? That's a new one.

I just can't get into AGIB at all. There is nothing as tuneful as Heavy Metal Drummer or as emotionally crushing as Radio Cure on it. Plus, the whole thing is just so damn pretentious. :yuck: And not all of the lyrics on YHF suck; I'll always have a soft spot for "distance has no way of making love understandable".

But your point about the band in general is taken.

I think it's funny how people are still struggling over whether or not Wilco is experimental when they've just put out their most down-to-earth, simple record in 10 years.

Anyways, I voted for The Bends. In Rainbows is beautiful in so many levels... I don't know who posted this in the In Rainbows thread sometime ago, but I do see similarities on what IR represents to Radiohead and what SBS represents to Wilco...

lazarus said:

Who comes to Radiohead for "organic" anyway. It's european music. It's art.

Having lived in Europe for quite a few years now, I do find it funny. You should listen to the radio here....

xaviMF22 said:

house of cards blows

videotape sucks

reckoner is meh

faust arp is meh

yes I don't love this album all that much anymore :cute:

well, you were my hero... :tsk: Just for that I voted for The Bends :tongue:

lazarus said:

Hawhawhawhawhaw.

:love: As someone who does not understand the constant adulation for Wilco, let me say that I :heart: you...

Last edited:
Why the fuck is Wilco getting bashed in the Radiohead vote off thread? :rolleyes:

Holy wah, you guys...OPINIONS!!!!!!!! Different people like different albums, you don't have to cop a 'tude or give people a hard time for voting for and posting about what albums they prefer.

Radiohead turns B&C into an episode of Jerry Springer, jeez.

Play nice. :mad:

P.S. What's Wilco doing here?

gump said:

Having lived in Europe for quite a few years now, I do find it funny. You should listen to the radio here....

I'm not saying Europe doesn't have its share of crap. Believe me. I've been there and spent time watching MTV Europe (which still is not as bad as it is here).

My point is that the kind of Eno/Bowie/artsy-fartsy stuff rock tends to come from Europe more than here. Something like Zooropa, U2's most artsy album, is a European record through and through.

LemonMelon said:

Someone that dislikes YHF but likes AGIB? That's a new one.

I just can't get into AGIB at all. There is nothing as tuneful as Heavy Metal Drummer or as emotionally crushing as Radio Cure on it. Plus, the whole thing is just so damn pretentious. :yuck: And not all of the lyrics on YHF suck; I'll always have a soft spot for "distance has no way of making love understandable".

But your point about the band in general is taken.

Keep in mind that I don't dislike YHF. I just think it's grossly overrated. I think the band's battle to release it and its (supposed) experimental nature are what propelled it so far in the minds of people who think they're into elite music.

I will say though that Being There is my favorite Wilco, and I'd probably reach for Summerteeth before YHF as well. I find the latter to be a bit of a slog.

Sky Blue Sky is a really good record, but now they're kind of boring the hell out of me. I'm over it. And fuck 'em for that Volkswagen commercial and their pathetic rationalization for it.

lazarus said:

I'm not saying Europe doesn't have its share of crap. Believe me. I've been there and spent time watching MTV Europe (which still is not as bad as it is here).

My point is that the kind of Eno/Bowie/artsy-fartsy stuff rock tends to come from Europe more than here. Something like Zooropa, U2's most artsy album, is a European record through and through.

I see what you mean and agree to some extent. I guess my point is that there is also art in making down-to-earth records.

I long for the good old days when IR was new and we had a big Radiohead lovefest about it.

If you all want to continue bashing Wilco please go start a new thread. But don't expect to see me there. I don't like SBS at all but that has no bearing whatsoever on how I feel about Wilco, btw--I don't suddenly hate Wilco because they made a record I don't like. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom