Radiohead Survivor - Album Ranking - Round 3 - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Vote For Your LEAST Favorite LP
The Bends 11 24.44%
OK Computer 1 2.22%
Kid A 4 8.89%
Amnesiac 26 57.78%
In Rainbows 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-15-2007, 12:21 PM   #31
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,816
Local Time: 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by djerdap


You obviously didn't get a chance to get to the last minute, which is mindblowing. One of Radiohead's best moments.
Yep. First 2 minutes = decent, but nothing special, last minute = mindblowing.
__________________

__________________
LemonMelon is offline  
Old 11-15-2007, 03:04 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon


Yep. First 2 minutes = decent, but nothing special, last minute = mindblowing.
Kicks in around 1:54 minutes.
__________________

__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 11-15-2007, 03:09 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 08:19 AM
Okay, I carefully reviewed The Bends vs. Amnesiac before voting. The thing is, the songs that I love on Amnesiac are so fantastic that I love them more than the songs that I love on The Bends, so much so that it doesn't even matter to me which is a better record overall. Amnesiac has songs that mean more to me.

So I voted for The Bends. It was close, and it wasn't easy. But as I said in the last round, The Bends gets played less in my world than any other Radiohead record (do I even have to keep saying 'except Pablo Honey'?).

But I totally understand why people chose Amnesiac instead. I still can't get over the fact that HTTT went before Amnesiac based on how much abuse Amnesiac has gotten over the years. I guess it grew on people.
__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 11-15-2007, 03:54 PM   #34
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,816
Local Time: 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl


Kicks in around 1:54 minutes.
Good call.
__________________
LemonMelon is offline  
Old 11-15-2007, 04:10 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Zoomerang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: canada
Posts: 13,460
Local Time: 09:19 AM
i voted for the bends.
__________________
Zoomerang96 is offline  
Old 11-15-2007, 04:25 PM   #36
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,011
Local Time: 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
I still can't get over the fact that HTTT went before Amnesiac based on how much abuse Amnesiac has gotten over the years. I guess it grew on people.
I just listened to HTTT (and the Go To Sleep b-sides!) today, and I'm a little surprised too. I think the bottom line is that as much as Amnesiac may grate on people, HTTT probably has even more grating songs.

Overall, it's theoretically a more accomplished effort, but a rough slog if you're not up for it. That is to say, if you don't like Amnesiac, you aren't going to like HTTT either, save for a few tracks, and will probably be even more turned off.

Personally, I think I'm back to preferring HTTT to In Rainbows.
__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 11-15-2007, 04:32 PM   #37
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus


I just listened to HTTT (and the Go To Sleep b-sides!) today, and I'm a little surprised too. I think the bottom line is that as much as Amnesiac may grate on people, HTTT probably has even more grating songs.

Overall, it's theoretically a more accomplished effort, but a rough slog if you're not up for it. That is to say, if you don't like Amnesiac, you aren't going to like HTTT either, save for a few tracks, and will probably be even more turned off.

Personally, I think I'm back to preferring HTTT to In Rainbows.

I don't see or hear that in HTTT at all. If anything, I think it's very similar to U2's recent output (IE, it's a collection of tracks that summarize everything they've ever done into one collection). Everything on HTTT is an actual song, there are no "sound fillers", everything has actual lyrics, even the electronic tracks are extremely easy to handle. What songs to people find to be so inaccessible or to be "filler"? That's what I never get. I hear more filler in both Amnesiac and Kid A than HTTT.

To each their own though, I also am completely shocked at how many people seem to dislike The Bends here. If we would have done this poll here 2 or 3 years ago, The Bends would have come in at #2 to OK Computer, easily.
__________________
u2popmofo is offline  
Old 11-15-2007, 04:40 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
djerdap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 7,423
Local Time: 04:19 PM
Like Spinning Plates is great on Amnesiac, but the live version is absolutely beautiful.

I definitely consider Amnesiac a more accomplished effort than Hail To the Thief, because it flows better and it simply has an album feel. HTTT is IMHO a collection of tracks, and not very successful one at that. Don't get me wrong, I still love the record, but if it was at least 3 tracks shorter (I hate We Suck Young Blood, could definitely do without Scatterbrain and Punch-Up...), I would rank it higher.

The Bends vs. In Rainbows is gonna be hard for me.
__________________
djerdap is offline  
Old 11-15-2007, 04:46 PM   #39
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,694
Local Time: 10:19 AM
HTTT

Sail To The Moon -> Where I End And You Begin is fucking genius...
__________________
elevated_u2_fan is online now  
Old 11-15-2007, 04:56 PM   #40
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,011
Local Time: 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo
I don't see or hear that in HTTT at all. If anything, I think it's very similar to U2's recent output (IE, it's a collection of tracks that summarize everything they've ever done into one collection). Everything on HTTT is an actual song, there are no "sound fillers", everything has actual lyrics, even the electronic tracks are extremely easy to handle. What songs to people find to be so inaccessible or to be "filler"? That's what I never get. I hear more filler in both Amnesiac and Kid A than HTTT.

Well to add to the two above responses, I disagree. We Suck Young Blood has got to be one of Radiohead's most off-putting tracks, and I don't find The Gloaming to be easy to handle (you call that a real song?), especially for people who aren't into that thing. I Will is also boring to the extreme. I'll go Elevated one further, and say that the first 6 songs are great. So are the last 4. But with the exception of the phenomenal There There, that middle section of the album is ROUGH. It's hump I don't think most people are be able to get through.
__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 11-15-2007, 04:59 PM   #41
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,694
Local Time: 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
I Will is also boring to the extreme.
WHY did they not record it like this???

__________________
elevated_u2_fan is online now  
Old 11-15-2007, 05:02 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 08:19 AM
^ When I read posts like that (edited to add: lazurus') it makes me feel like I have a different version of HTTT. It's like, for example, I got a stray copy that has this gorgeous song called I Will on it that gives me goosebumps and that is obviously not the same boring song everyone else got, and this song called The Gloaming that sends me into a trance and that when I saw them live hundreds of people were all singing along at the same time and it was magical. I guess there's no point in beating a dead horse but I have to say it one more time, I don't understand!
__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 11-15-2007, 05:05 PM   #43
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,694
Local Time: 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
^ When I read posts like that (edited to add: lazurus') it makes me feel like I have a different version of HTTT. It's like, for example, I got a stray copy that has this gorgeous song called I Will on it that gives me goosebumps and that is obviously not the same boring song everyone else got, and this song called The Gloaming that sends me into a trance and that when I saw them live hundreds of people were all singing along at the same time and it was magical. I guess there's no point in beating a dead horse but I have to say it one more time, I don't understand!
the subjective-ness of art
__________________
elevated_u2_fan is online now  
Old 11-15-2007, 05:09 PM   #44
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 09:19 AM
I Will is one of my absolute favorite Radiohead songs.

Admittedly, I can understand people not liking We Suck Young Blood, but as it's their "ode to Low" track, I obviously like it. A lot.

Again, also can somewhat understand some people not liking glitch electronica type songs like The Gloaming, but for a glitch song it's about as accessible as can be (OMG, lyrics!)

I truthfully do not like Scatterbrain much though, so I'll give everyone that track.

Just so everyone knows, I'm really not upset or arguing on this. Just saying it surprises me, that's all. That's all, Lazarus you dirty %*@#!
__________________
u2popmofo is offline  
Old 11-15-2007, 05:15 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo
I
Just so everyone knows, I'm really not upset or arguing on this. Just saying it surprises me, that's all. That's all, Lazarus you dirty %*@#!
Same here.

We Suck bugged me the first couple of listens and then I fell in love with it.

The Gloaming was a grower as well. I just love the vocals and the lyrics.

Scatterbrain I feel kind of neutral about.

But then again...I don't actually hate any Radiohead song. Not one that I can think of anyway.
__________________

__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
 

Tags
radiohead survivor, survivor

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com