Radiohead Survivor - Album Ranking - Round 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your LEAST Favorite LP

• The Bends

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • OK Computer

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Kid A

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Amnesiac

Votes: 26 57.8%
  • In Rainbows

Votes: 3 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
djerdap said:

You obviously didn't get a chance to get to the last minute, which is mindblowing. One of Radiohead's best moments.

Yep. First 2 minutes = decent, but nothing special, last minute = mindblowing.

Okay, I carefully reviewed The Bends vs. Amnesiac before voting. The thing is, the songs that I love on Amnesiac are so fantastic that I love them more than the songs that I love on The Bends, so much so that it doesn't even matter to me which is a better record overall. Amnesiac has songs that mean more to me.

So I voted for The Bends. It was close, and it wasn't easy. But as I said in the last round, The Bends gets played less in my world than any other Radiohead record (do I even have to keep saying 'except Pablo Honey'?).

But I totally understand why people chose Amnesiac instead. I still can't get over the fact that HTTT went before Amnesiac based on how much abuse Amnesiac has gotten over the years. I guess it grew on people.

joyfulgirl said:
I still can't get over the fact that HTTT went before Amnesiac based on how much abuse Amnesiac has gotten over the years. I guess it grew on people.

I just listened to HTTT (and the Go To Sleep b-sides!) today, and I'm a little surprised too. I think the bottom line is that as much as Amnesiac may grate on people, HTTT probably has even more grating songs.

Overall, it's theoretically a more accomplished effort, but a rough slog if you're not up for it. That is to say, if you don't like Amnesiac, you aren't going to like HTTT either, save for a few tracks, and will probably be even more turned off.

Personally, I think I'm back to preferring HTTT to In Rainbows.

lazarus said:

I just listened to HTTT (and the Go To Sleep b-sides!) today, and I'm a little surprised too. I think the bottom line is that as much as Amnesiac may grate on people, HTTT probably has even more grating songs.

Overall, it's theoretically a more accomplished effort, but a rough slog if you're not up for it. That is to say, if you don't like Amnesiac, you aren't going to like HTTT either, save for a few tracks, and will probably be even more turned off.

Personally, I think I'm back to preferring HTTT to In Rainbows.

I don't see or hear that in HTTT at all. If anything, I think it's very similar to U2's recent output (IE, it's a collection of tracks that summarize everything they've ever done into one collection). Everything on HTTT is an actual song, there are no "sound fillers", everything has actual lyrics, even the electronic tracks are extremely easy to handle. What songs to people find to be so inaccessible or to be "filler"? That's what I never get. I hear more filler in both Amnesiac and Kid A than HTTT.

To each their own though, I also am completely shocked at how many people seem to dislike The Bends here. If we would have done this poll here 2 or 3 years ago, The Bends would have come in at #2 to OK Computer, easily.

Like Spinning Plates is great on Amnesiac, but the live version is absolutely beautiful.

I definitely consider Amnesiac a more accomplished effort than Hail To the Thief, because it flows better and it simply has an album feel. HTTT is IMHO a collection of tracks, and not very successful one at that. Don't get me wrong, I still love the record, but if it was at least 3 tracks shorter (I hate We Suck Young Blood, could definitely do without Scatterbrain and Punch-Up...), I would rank it higher.

The Bends vs. In Rainbows is gonna be hard for me.

u2popmofo said:
I don't see or hear that in HTTT at all. If anything, I think it's very similar to U2's recent output (IE, it's a collection of tracks that summarize everything they've ever done into one collection). Everything on HTTT is an actual song, there are no "sound fillers", everything has actual lyrics, even the electronic tracks are extremely easy to handle. What songs to people find to be so inaccessible or to be "filler"? That's what I never get. I hear more filler in both Amnesiac and Kid A than HTTT.

Well to add to the two above responses, I disagree. We Suck Young Blood has got to be one of Radiohead's most off-putting tracks, and I don't find The Gloaming to be easy to handle (you call that a real song?), especially for people who aren't into that thing. I Will is also boring to the extreme. I'll go Elevated one further, and say that the first 6 songs are great. So are the last 4. But with the exception of the phenomenal There There, that middle section of the album is ROUGH. It's hump I don't think most people are be able to get through.

^ When I read posts like that (edited to add: lazurus') it makes me feel like I have a different version of HTTT. It's like, for example, I got a stray copy that has this gorgeous song called I Will on it that gives me goosebumps and that is obviously not the same boring song everyone else got, and this song called The Gloaming that sends me into a trance and that when I saw them live hundreds of people were all singing along at the same time and it was magical. I guess there's no point in beating a dead horse but I have to say it one more time, I don't understand!

joyfulgirl said:
^ When I read posts like that (edited to add: lazurus') it makes me feel like I have a different version of HTTT. It's like, for example, I got a stray copy that has this gorgeous song called I Will on it that gives me goosebumps and that is obviously not the same boring song everyone else got, and this song called The Gloaming that sends me into a trance and that when I saw them live hundreds of people were all singing along at the same time and it was magical. I guess there's no point in beating a dead horse but I have to say it one more time, I don't understand!

the subjective-ness of art :drool:

I Will is one of my absolute favorite Radiohead songs.

Admittedly, I can understand people not liking We Suck Young Blood, but as it's their "ode to Low" track, I obviously like it. A lot.

Again, also can somewhat understand some people not liking glitch electronica type songs like The Gloaming, but for a glitch song it's about as accessible as can be (OMG, lyrics!)

I truthfully do not like Scatterbrain much though, so I'll give everyone that track.

Just so everyone knows, I'm really not upset or arguing on this. Just saying it surprises me, that's all. That's all, Lazarus you dirty %*@#! :wink:

u2popmofo said:
I
Just so everyone knows, I'm really not upset or arguing on this. Just saying it surprises me, that's all. That's all, Lazarus you dirty %*@#! :wink:

Same here.

We Suck bugged me the first couple of listens and then I fell in love with it.

The Gloaming was a grower as well. I just love the vocals and the lyrics.

Scatterbrain I feel kind of neutral about.

But then again...I don't actually hate any Radiohead song. Not one that I can think of anyway.

I like I Will quite a bit -- I think it's a gorgeous song.

And as someone who doesn't frequent Radiohead message boards or anything, it comes as a surprise to me that Amnesiac is taking such a beating.

And yeah, I couldn't imagine why Kid A would be favored over The Bends. The Bends doesn't have a bad song on it.

I know that many here disagree with this assessment, but I do feel Amnesiac to be simply a collection of Kid A rejects. That being said, it is still an exquisite album.

elevated_u2_fan said:
HTTT

Sail To The Moon -> Where I End And You Begin is fucking genius...

To quote AtomicBono...

Backdrifts makes me want to throw a cat against a wall of rusty nails.

I got ahold of Jonny's Superhet Popcorn Receiver, it's definitely interesting.

If you like the stranger arrangements on Kid A or Amnesiac or Jonny's Bodysong soundtrack at all, you might love this.

I'll send to any who are interested.

u2popmofo said:
I Will is one of my absolute favorite Radiohead songs.

Admittedly, I can understand people not liking We Suck Young Blood, but as it's their "ode to Low" track, I obviously like it. A lot.

Again, also can somewhat understand some people not liking glitch electronica type songs like The Gloaming, but for a glitch song it's about as accessible as can be (OMG, lyrics!)

I truthfully do not like Scatterbrain much though, so I'll give everyone that track.

Replying to joyful girl here as well...

I think Scatterbrain is a beautiful song.

And I know that the few songs I mentioned have their fans, but I think you will see when this Survivor continues that these songs are not enjoyed by the majority of Radiohead fans as much as the other tracks.

As for HttT, I often find it hard to believe that Sail to the Moon does not have a stronger reputation. For me, it is far and away the strongest track from the album (and possibly one of the band's ten best), yet it is never really mentioned in the same breath as There There or Wolf at the Door.

xaviMF22 said:
In rainbows must go next

there is no way its better than the Bends

no way :mad:

Lately, I've been listening to In Rainbows with the idea that it's about the sick cat from Myxomatosis. A cat that's now fully recovered, domesticated, and looking for validation.

If you do this, it becomes better than The Bends. :wink:

cdisantis83 said:
As for HttT, I often find it hard to believe that Sail to the Moon does not have a stronger reputation.

Definitely a great song. :up:

I think my favourite is Where I End and You Begin.

DaveC said:

I always thought that was about a rabbit, considering myxomatosis is a disease only rabbits can get.

That's a great question...maybe I have no idea what I am talking about! :wink:

I always heard it as a sick cat song. This could change everything. :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom