Radiohead Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tarvark

Acrobat
I will be making a trip in to town today and will probably be visiting a record store along the way. Alot of friends (and it seems like everyone on this fourm) has recomended Radiohead to me so I would like to pick up an album or two and check them out. Any suggestions?

If it helps anyway I am a avid U2 fan who has swings in to classic rock (Who, Zep, Cream, Clapton, Neil Young), finds bands like Snow Patrol and Coldplay decent, and lyrical prowess is a must.

Thanks.
NA

(1) OK Computer
(2) The Bends
(3) Hail to the Thief / Kid A
(4) The other two

(in my opinion)

I reccomend you pick up 'OK Computer' and 'Kid A' first.
Then 'The Bends' and 'Amnesiac' later.
Followed by 'Hail to the Thief' and 'Pablo Honey'.

ah yes, a question that could have easily been answered by using the band index at the top of the page.

go here: http://forum.interference.com/t126580.html

i believe the consensus was:
1) the bends
2) ok computer
3) kid a
4) amnesiac
5) hail to the thief/pablo honey

Aardvark747 said:
Hey Tarvark - ur name is similar to mine!:rockon:

btw - my fave. Radiohead album is Pablo Honey... :wink:

So now we have an Aardvark747 and a Tarvark? This is going to get confusing. Whatever next, Aardvark746? Tarvark747? Ant-eater?? Wardwark665??

Aardvark and Tarvark, if you don't mind I'm just going to call you both Bruce in future to save all the confusion. :up:

lmjhitman said:
ah yes, a question that could have easily been answered by using the band index at the top of the page.

go here: http://forum.interference.com/t126580.html

i believe the consensus was:
1) the bends
2) ok computer
3) kid a
4) amnesiac
5) hail to the thief/pablo honey

Ok, I am sorry I am new here. How excatly did you do that? Is there a guide anywhere to using the forums?

Hey Tarvark - ur name is similar to mine!

Hey thats really cool. Tarvark used to the name of a really old ship (well really lobster boat but still 40+ feet) that used to sail up and down the east coast in the 1800s. It sunk near my home. I guess i just picked up the name.

Pretty cool.

So now we have an Aardvark747 and a Tarvark? This is going to get confusing. Whatever next, Aardvark746? Tarvark747? Ant-eater?? Wardwark665??

Aardvark and Tarvark, if you don't mind I'm just going to call you both Bruce in future to save all the confusion.

Ok, Ishmaial ;) As long as I am Bruce S.

:drool: (Born in the USA)

financeguy said:

Aardvark and Tarvark, if you don't mind I'm just going to call you both Bruce in future to save all the confusion. :up:

What do you think Aardvark ?? This belongs in the Monty Python Appreciation thread right..

Bruces Sketch by Monty Python

Second Bruce: G'day, Bruce!
First Bruce: Oh, Hello Bruce!

Third Bruce: How are you Bruce?

First Bruce: A bit crook, Bruce.

Second Bruce: Where's Bruce?

First Bruce: He's not 'ere, Bruce.

Third Bruce: Blimey, it's hot in here, Bruce.

First Bruce: Hot enough to boil a monkey's bum!

Second Bruce: That's a strange expression, Bruce.

First Bruce: Well Bruce, I heard the Prime Minister use it. "It's hot enough to boil a monkey's bum in here, your Majesty," he said and she smiled quietly to herself.

Third Bruce: She's a good Sheila Bruce, and not at all stuck up.

Second Bruce: Here! Here's the boss-fellow now! - how are you bruce?

And so on :wink:

Tarvark said:
Not to bug you (in Bono's own words) but any explaination?

I know that wasn't to me, but I thought I'd explain mine.

The Bends/OK Computer/Kid A - if you start with these three at once you basically have three of the best albums ever made in one fell swoop! If you listen to them in that order [of release] then you get to hear how they progressed while hearing musical gold at the same time! The Bends is just fantastic song writing, sounds and production, can't explain it, while OK Computer sees them getting more into 'epic sonic soundscapes' with stuff like 'Airbag' 'Subeterranean Homesick Alien' 'Exit Music' and 'Lucky' not to metion the work of art 'Paranoid Android'. Then

Kid A is Radiohead completely chucking what they'd done before in favour of ultimate experimentation! It's so far removed from The Bends and OK Computer it's unbelievable yet has something about it that makes it SO Radiohead, if you see what I mean! Fantastic mix of OK Computer style guitars [which kind of contradicts me saying how far it is from OK Computer :wink:] with awesome use of synths, atmospherics and electronics!

They recorded something like 40 songs while working on Kid A, some of which they held for 'Amnesiac' and the album's B-sides because they kind of followed a different 'theme'...Amnesiac does have a very different sound, with subtle hints of Kid A, and the B-sides are something different altogether, but yeah, Amnesiac is a good one to start with after the above mentioned three, which I strongly reccomend you get....NOW! :wink:

I'm going to have to recommend "I Might Be Wrong - Live Recordings" as well.

You will get a beautiful version of "Like Spinning Plates" on the piano, and a must have, in "True Love Waits"

as for the other albums, Get OK Computer, it's the best album ever made (well tied with Achtung :p).

the bends and Kid A/Amnesiac/Hail to the Thief are amazing as well.. but you may want to warm up to them first.

Mr. MIKEphisto said:
I'm going to have to recommend "I Might Be Wrong - Live Recordings" as well.

So am I. :drool:

"Let's go down the waterfall...have ourselves a good time, it's nothing at aaaallllll"

Having a snippet of "Please" attached at the end doesn't hurt either. :up:

Thanks so much for all of your help.

I got the Bends and I have to admit I am completly blown away. I havn't felt like this since JT/AB/UF/War. It is amazing. I think I am going out tomorrow to pick up Ok Computor and Kid A.

I just wish my pockets were alittle deeper. :huh:

Tarvark said:
Thanks so much for all of your help.

I got the Bends and I have to admit I am completly blown away. I havn't felt like this since JT/AB/UF/War. It is amazing. I think I am going out tomorrow to pick up Ok Computor and Kid A.

I just wish my pockets were alittle deeper. :huh:

:up:

Glad you enjoy. Welcome to the wonderfully weird world of Radiohead!

Ha ha yes! :yes: :happy: :bow:

you've made the wise choice! Get OK Computer and Kid A, sit back...listen to two more of the finest albums music has to offer...and MELT.

yimou said:

What do you think Aardvark ?? This belongs in the Monty Python Appreciation thread right..

Bruces Sketch by Monty Python

Second Bruce: G'day, Bruce!
First Bruce: Oh, Hello Bruce!

Third Bruce: How are you Bruce?

First Bruce: A bit crook, Bruce.

Second Bruce: Where's Bruce?

First Bruce: He's not 'ere, Bruce.

Third Bruce: Blimey, it's hot in here, Bruce.

First Bruce: Hot enough to boil a monkey's bum!

Second Bruce: That's a strange expression, Bruce.

First Bruce: Well Bruce, I heard the Prime Minister use it. "It's hot enough to boil a monkey's bum in here, your Majesty," he said and she smiled quietly to herself.

Third Bruce: She's a good Sheila Bruce, and not at all stuck up.

Second Bruce: Here! Here's the boss-fellow now! - how are you bruce?

And so on :wink:

"Rule 1 - NAH POOFTERS!!"

:wink:

Get The Bends first. It's the most accessable and will either hook you in or turn you off to them. Either way, if you like it, you'll like the rest. If you don't, you won't. OK Computer, however, is their best album, although I didn't like it at first.

Then again, I loved Kid A upon first listen. And I bought OK and Kid on the same day.

Back
Top Bottom