Radiohead discussion continues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Incredible song. The fact that the Sam Smith atrocity was chosen over this says everything you need to know about the people running the corporate entertainment industry. They should be flipping burgers.

I was so fucking tired when it dropped but listened once and obviously dug it. Listening again now and I just love it and them. I think its greatness is being slightly overstated (would have been a baller Bond song but not sure it's immediately the best Radiohead song ever) but it's great. I think it could slide onto In Rainbows pretty easily. The strings in the background are probably my favourite part, along with the reactive drumming.

Loved the new track. Would have been a great Bond song and one of the best songs on King of Limbs. Hopefully this bodes well for the new album.

It's a wonderful song, so good it makes you wish it was two minutes longer (as opposed to the "Sam Smith" offering which makes you wish it was three minutes shorter). Certainly whets my appetite for what will hopefully be an incredible album.

Amazing how it has all the ghostly hallmarks of Radiohead sitting comfortably alongside the more dramatic Bond aspects.

I agree, musically it's beautiful, but I can't connect to Thom anymore. His singing, the lyrics, and the poor guy can't write a chorus to save his life these days. I can see why it didn't make the movie.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I agree, musically it's beautiful, but I can't connect to Thom anymore. His singing, the lyrics, and the poor guy can't write a chorus to save his life these days. I can see why it didn't make the movie.

Can't? Or won't? ?

I really dig the song. I'd like to hear Thom use his lower register more often, but I've got no complaints with the delivery here.

Yeah, his delivery is fine, and the Radiohead song is more dynamic than the Sam Smith song, and as a composition it's so much more advanced it's embarrassing. 7/10 on Radiohead scale, 10/10 pop music scale.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using U2 Interference mobile app

King of Limbs is some sort of glorified EP, but, if I were forced to come up with a top ten Radiohead songs list (a very hard task), it is to their credit that something from the last five years would probably make it. I don't know if they're past their prime, but I strongly incline to the view that they see themselves as a semi-retired concern. One major release in nearly a decade, and all that.

Thom and Jonny have other shit going on; if they don't feel like recording as Radiohead, they don't have to. I'm sure it's a great artistic outlet for them though, which is why they eventually come back.

I just wish their newer music sounded a lot less like Thom's solo work. More Phil and Colin, less programmed rhythm.

I hope the new Radiohead, when it comes, does not sound like solo Thom. With the exception of The Eraser (a wonderful album), I'm not that sure about solo Thom.

Am I alone in being defensive of Radiohead? Reading the last few posts I'm starting to see how the U2 fanatics in EYKIW and the tour forums feel. In Rainbows is among my fav albums of all time, and the one album they've released since then, King of Limbs, still made me very very happy. I tempered my expectations for it from the outset, and so was very happy when I got songs like Separator, Give Up the Ghost, Codex, Lotus Flower. I saw Laz compare it to SoI and I can't imagine a new Radiohead release will leave me feeling as flat as SoI did. King of Limbs was no classic, but it was still a fine album and fuck, if they just keep putting out pretty good albums like that until they die I'll be happy as. Spectre isn't the best song known to man by any stretch, but I love it as a new Radiohead song and I will continue to approach anything they put out with the utmost positivity. Rose-coloured glasses? Sure, but I don't give a fuck. Last time I saw them Thom and Jonny opened the encore with Give Up the Ghost and I still think about it all the time such was its beauty. I shouldn't fucking engage the SoI thing but since Laz brought it up not me... if U2 could make a fucking album half as cool as King of Limbs I'd be stoked. KoL is the type of album - short (so it's not overstuffed with overthought garbage), released without a fucking gigantic charade of two rich white dudes touching fingers in a "we're richer than you could ever imagine"-type way, somewhat makeshift, etc - that I fucking wish U2 had the balls to release.

I mean, shit. You're not gonna find me telling you Tomorrow's Modern Boxes was some modern masterpiece but it had like three songs that had Thom Yorke singing depressing vocals over a slow, melancholic beat and I fucking loved it just for that. Fuck the haters.

King of Limbs isn't perfect and I would probably only rate it above Pablo Honey but fuck you if you think Radiohead sucks now because of it. Bloom rules, it has that sick double drum thing going on, Morning Mr Magpie has a good pace to it and was good live, Little By Little is one of those great serviceable Radiohead tunes, not likely to make your top whatever but hardly anything close to a bad song, Feral criticism shouldn't count because it was a fucking monster live and doesn't really claim to be a substantive Radiohead track to begin with, and then the second half is fucking perfect and anyone who finds something to complain about it is literally looking for shit to complain about. Then you had the other songs of the era which ruled (and yes admittedly were better than a few of the album tracks, but who cares, they still got released and ended up on the Basement DVD anywy which is fucking killer)

Am I alone in being defensive of Radiohead? Reading the last few posts I'm starting to see how the U2 fanatics in EYKIW and the tour forums feel. In Rainbows is among my fav albums of all time, and the one album they've released since then, King of Limbs, still made me very very happy. I tempered my expectations for it from the outset, and so was very happy when I got songs like Separator, Give Up the Ghost, Codex, Lotus Flower. I saw Laz compare it to SoI and I can't imagine a new Radiohead release will leave me feeling as flat as SoI did. King of Limbs was no classic, but it was still a fine album and fuck, if they just keep putting out pretty good albums like that until they die I'll be happy as. Spectre isn't the best song known to man by any stretch, but I love it as a new Radiohead song and I will continue to approach anything they put out with the utmost positivity. Rose-coloured glasses? Sure, but I don't give a fuck. Last time I saw them Thom and Jonny opened the encore with Give Up the Ghost and I still think about it all the time such was its beauty. I shouldn't fucking engage the SoI thing but since Laz brought it up not me... if U2 could make a fucking album half as cool as King of Limbs I'd be stoked. KoL is the type of album - short (so it's not overstuffed with overthought garbage), released without a fucking gigantic charade of two rich white dudes touching fingers in a "we're richer than you could ever imagine"-type way, somewhat makeshift, etc - that I fucking wish U2 had the balls to release.

I've no quibble with any of that. Honestly, ok, I don't love KOL, but that era overall, with its assortment of bsides and random singles, is not half bad. And more and more, it's Bloom that is standing out for me.

Bloom is the best track on KOL. Morning Mr. Magpie and Lotus Flower are also great, but I'm not that keen on the rest of the album. It's miles better than Pablo Honey, but not a favorite.

Not alone. It's a sign of how spoiled Radiohead have made us that an album as good as KoL could be considered a lesser work, especially as it would easily be a career highlight for 95% of bands out there.

Yeah I didn't love KoL but certainly didn't hate it. The second half is excellent and Bloom is an incredible opener. Morning Mr. Magpie is great live too.

I'm more disappointed in Thom's side projects. The Eraser was good but the other two releases were just boring to me.

I actually really enjoyed Phil Selway's second album, Weatherhouse. It was a really chill record with a great groove.

I'm hopeful for whatever's next from Radiohead though. Given their track record, it'll likely differ from anything they've previously done.

Not alone. It's a sign of how spoiled Radiohead have made us that an album as good as KoL could be considered a lesser work, especially as it would easily be a career highlight for 95% of bands out there.

Yeah I didn't love KoL but certainly didn't hate it. The second half is excellent and Bloom is an incredible opener. Morning Mr. Magpie is great live too.

I'm more disappointed in Thom's side projects. The Eraser was good but the other two releases were just boring to me.

This.

Last edited:
Cobbler. :cute:

I wouldn't go that far, it's a bit of an exaggeration, and I don't just say that because I have a low opinion of that album.

Possibly, but I find the whole '[album] would easily be a career highlight for 95% of bands out there' attitude to be irritating, irregardless of the fandom it's coming from.

Am I alone in being defensive of Radiohead?

You'll never be alone defending Radiohead as long as I'm around.

Spectre is really lovely.

Now, hoping for more loveliness that also rocks the fuck out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom