Radiohead discussion continues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like Give up the Ghost but then I'm a sucker for a simple acoustic guitar once and a while. There is something about the way it just sort of floats along that appeals to me, its very haunting if you'll pardon the pun.

I like that part of the song! It's everything else about it that suckz. :wink:

People bag on dance music for being repetitive, and then praise Radiohead for releasing a song where an annoying vocal line that sounds like it was sung by a tone-deaf kid going through puberty is repeated through virtually the entire song.

nielsgov said:
Random Radiohead talk (not about HTTT):

For whatever reason, I've been watching loads of different live video's of How to Disappear Completely lately and it's starting to become my absolute favorite Radiohead song. This is the best version I've found but there are probably lots of better ones out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR-K4k6tDi4

How the guitar comes in from out of the fog, the bobbling bass, the relatable lyrics (when you're in sad bastard mode), Yorke's wailing at the end... Everything about the song is perfect. The real star, especially live, is Jonny of course. The atmospherics are unreal and make half the song. The ending alone is beautiful. If you'd loop that for half an hour and let it fall apart gradually, you'd basically have a piece better than anything on the Disintegration Loops, bar DLP 3 maybe.

I had the exact same experience about 7 years ago ... became obsessed with this song and watched as many live versions as I could find on YouTube. And when I saw this one I was completely blown away. It is the quintessential performance of this song.

Interesting little tidbit, this performance is from 2000 in Dublin ... that's the reason for the cheer when Thom sings, "I float down the Liffey".

I love about half of Tomorrow's Modern Boxes. Guess Again, Mother Lode, Truth Ray and Nose Grows Some are all pretty sweet. Pretty inconsequential release all things told though.

Tomorrow's Modern Boxers

pet-photography-melbourne-.jpg

Novelty Video for New Yorke Single 'Boxers or Briefs?' to Feature Enigmatic Singer Comically Trying On Each In Front Of Mirror While Dancing Awkwardly

I love about half of Tomorrow's Modern Boxes. Guess Again, Mother Lode, Truth Ray and Nose Grows Some are all pretty sweet. Pretty inconsequential release all things told though.
Yeah those are the clear highlights. I think it's enjoyably throughout though. It flows really well.

I really like Give up the Ghost but then I'm a sucker for a simple acoustic guitar once and a while. There is something about the way it just sort of floats along that appeals to me, its very haunting if you'll pardon the pun.

Couldn't agree more. And I think I've told this on here before, but whatever -- I'll tell it again: Coachella 2012. 'Give Up The Ghost' was the penultimate song (I believe) in the encore.

And it was magical.

Being on the polo fields with all those thousands of Radiohead fans. A light, cool breeze was blowing on the warm, Spring night. And Thom's voice just floated out over the fields and over all of us (mostly) standing on the grass. It was moving and haunting and beautiful and heart-wrenching all at the same time.

Since then, I cannot listen to that song without get teary-eyed.

I'm the same, the live version greatly increased my appreciation of the song. Johnny just at his multi-instrumental best and Thom looping his vocals over and over, it was spellbinding.

I'd have to admit that Give Up The Ghost is far and away the standout moment of King of Limbs, for me. The orchestration really makes it, when it kicks in with that deep resonant flourish or whatever you call that.

I watched Radiohead at Glastonbury (2003) last night after ages. Man, what a show. Probably the best Glastonbury performance of all time.

What really stood out was how fantastic the HTTT tracks were that night. Kick ass performances of There There and 2+2=5 set the the tone for the rest of the show. Sit Down, Stand Up was a highlight, while The Gloaming was the monster it always is live.

HTTT is Radiohead's Pop. Criticized by the band itself, criminally underrated by the fans ... it really is a shame because it is an outstanding album. Does it lack the cohesion of something like Kid A? Sure, but some of the songs are so good you can forgive it sounding more like a compilation album than a cohesive one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxMDSGsM3sM

I watched Radiohead at Glastonbury (2003) last night after ages. Man, what a show. Probably the best Glastonbury performance of all time.

What really stood out was how fantastic the HTTT tracks were that night. Kick ass performances of There There and 2+2=5 set the the tone for the rest of the show. Sit Down, Stand Up was a highlight, while The Gloaming was the monster it always is live.

HTTT is Radiohead's Pop. Criticized by the band itself, criminally underrated by the fans ... it really is a shame because it is an outstanding album. Does it lack the cohesion of something like Kid A? Sure, but some of the songs are so good you can forgive it sounding more like a compilation album than a cohesive one.

Agreed. Always liked HTTT even though it is a tad too long. Strong follow up to Kid A. Anyone feel that both Kid A and Amnesiac should have been melded together to create one of the greatest albums of the 21st century.

Here is my burned CD track list of the two albums:

1. Everything In It's Right Place
2. Packt Like Sardines In A Crushd Tin Box
3. Pyramid Song
4. I Might Be Wrong
5. Knives Out
6. How To Disappear Completely
7. Optimistic
8. In Limbo
9. Idioteque
10. Morning Bell
11. You And Whose Army?
12.Motion Picture Soundtrack (minus untitled hidden track)

All killer and no filler IMO.

Thoughts?

Kid A is one of my favorite albums ever so I would never change it. Can't imagine it any other way.

Agreed 100% on HTTT. Backdrifts is one of my favorite songs of all time by any artist.

1997 and 2003 are two pretty outstanding Glasto performances to pick from. I'd go with 1997 though.

Agreed 100% on HTTT. Backdrifts is one of my favorite songs of all time by any artist.

I like this opinion. Backdrifts is very much underappreciated. The live version is even better.

Backdrifts and Gloaming are definitely some of the better Radiohead / Yorke attempts at glitch / electronica, but I still think Yorke isn't great at that sort of music and wish he'd give it up.

The Gloaming improves immensely live.

I've listened to the 2nd Earl's Court concert from 2003 today and it's still as good as ever. Most random moment is Yorke snippeting Please at the end of I Might Be Wrong. Everyone should hear both nights to hear, among many other things, Hail to the Thief material at its best.

Radiohead Promise New Album Next Year

Radiohead will release a new album next year, according to lead singer Thom Yorke.

The 'Amok' hitmaker, 49, told our reporter over a ciggie and a pint at Oxford's Pig In The Poke pub that the 'boys are mad for it right now, Johnny especially.'

Yorke, 49, said that the band was gearing up for a 'meat and potatoes type of record'. "With the rise of UKIP and all the dreadful sex abuse scandals, this is no time to be rocking the boat. 'Don't rock the boat, don't tip the boat over...' We also have our future knighthood prospects to think of now. Me and Johnny especially," Yorke said.

The enigmatic frontman was in high spirits as he downed a pint and showed off his latest party trick of pretending to lunge at our reporter's face with a fork, only to halt his momentum in a perfect dead stop inches from her retina. "See? Catlike. Don't flinch, love."

York, 49, said the rest of the band were 'right on board' with his vision for the new album, 'and if they're not they can like it or lump it. I'm not sure I can even remember all their names at this point.'

Radiohead has always been a family affair ever since it was founded at Oakhollow Methodist Boy's School by brothers Johnny, Colin, Sebastian, Ivor, Birch, Morris and Henry Greenwood in the 1980s. It was originally named 'On A Friday' in honour of our Lord's passion, but a string of tragic freak accidents saw the brothers killed off one by one, to be replaced by new recruits.

As the 1980s drew to a close, the band drifted slowly away from its Christian metal fanbase. The Greenwoods' run of bad luck continued into the nineties though, with Colin Greenwood walking away from a head-on car crash only to be kidnapped by a notorious serial killer two weeks later. By the time police rescued him, he had had all four limbs amputated and both eyes gouged out.

"It's almost like God was punishing us for making bad music," Colin Greenwood said. "Still, all that did make me the man I am today; a cripple who is kept on the payroll out of loyalty."

Greenwood said Thom Yorke ('started out as our meth dealer and took the mike for a lark') was a 'mad bastard' back in the early days, "always with a ciggie and a pint in his hand, and he'd head-butt anyone, anytime... that's how he got that wonky eye."

Johnny Greenwood, the mercurial guitar genius of the Oxford group, was struck by lightning three times in the nineties and twice again in the 2000s, and according to Yorke was 'still mad for it' after fortuitously escaping a drunk driver crashing into his home last week because he was in the studio at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom