Radiohead concert reviews

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Review from my local paper re: Sunday's RH show:

POP MUSIC REVIEW
Radiohead devotees get a mind-bending experience

The English band rocks in first local concert in 8 years

By George Varga
POP MUSIC CRITIC

September 30, 2003

Feelings of dread and alienation have seldom sounded so acute and liberating as in the music of Radiohead, whose Sunday night concert at Coors Amphitheatre seemed to revel in ? and transcend ? those extremes.

This band of moody visionaries transformed existential angst into vehicles for musical catharsis. Performing with understatement one moment, rocking with fist-pumping rage the next, the subversive English quintet made its first San Diego show in eight years a night to remember.

The group took to the stage following a lively set of neo-power-pop by fellow Brit band Supergrass. Led by singer Thom Yorke, Radiohead opened with "2+2=5" and "Sit Down. Stand Up," the first two numbers from its latest album, "Hail To the Thief" (a title inspired by George W. Bush's still-controversial 2000 election to the presidency).

Both provided a template for much of the mind-bending concert that would follow by Yorke, guitarist-keyboardist Jonny Greenwood, guitarist Ed O'Brien, bassist Colin Greenwood and drummer Phil Selway. Each song started slowly and gently, built up in tempo and intensity, then shifted back and forth again.

It was a stunning display of tension and release, of challenging listeners. And it perfectly underscored the band's lyrical focus on what Bob Dylan once described as "Desolation Row."

Or as Yorke sang during the flamenco-tinged "2+2=5," in a voice that was equal parts doubt, desperation and defiance:

It's the devil's way now / There is no way out / You can scream and you can shout / It is too late now / Because you have not been paying attention / Paying attention! / Paying attention!

"Sit Down. Stand Up" was just as ominous, as Yorke intoned: Walk into the jaws of hell / Anytime, anytime / We can wipe you out / Anytime, anytime.

On paper, this might read like the start of an unrelentingly depressing night. At least it might to those unfamiliar with Radiohead's artful brand of uncompromising music, which in recent years has seen the band abandon conventional verse-chorus-verse song structures in favor of quirky, densely layered compositions that draw more from electronica, avant-jazz and contemporary classical music than rock.

But Sunday's nearly two-hour performance was ultimately uplifting, not a dissonant descent to doomsday. In Radiohead's brooding anti-anthems, liberation is achieved by finding the hidden beauty beneath life's ugly truths and by confronting the pain of everyday existence to rise above it.

With Yorke at the helm, the band and the sold-out crowd of almost 20,000 bonded in such stark yet stirring songs as "We Suck Young Blood" and "The Gloaming." The band's repertoire featured a generous array of songs from "Hail To the Thief," a proudly uncommercial album that grows better with each listen and is a strong contender for Album of the Year honors. Also included were such past Radiohead favorites as the rousing "Paranoid Android," the little-heard 1996 b-side "Talk Show Host" (with its Woody Allen-inspired refrain: I want to be someone else), and the show's penultimate selection, "Karma Police."

Yorke, who frequently bounded across the stage, playfully dedicated "Karma Police" to "the full Hollywood experience" he and the band underwent last week during their two-day stint at the Hollywood Bowl.

Dismissed by some as an artistic manic-depressive, Yorke's hyperactive antics were as welcome as they were unexpected. He repeatedly mugged and arched his eyebrows during "You and Whose Army?", one of several songs that found him singing while playing piano.

The crisp sound mix demonstrated anew that bands playing at Coors can achieve sonic excellence, if they take the time and money to do so. The tall, thin video screens to either side of the stage were well-employed. But unlike the eye-popping stage lighting, the screens did not always project clearly, especially to the thousands of fans on the lawn at the rear of the venue.

Then again, that may have been a deliberate move from a band whose fifth encore Sunday, "How to Disappear Completely," reaffirmed its desire to make big statements in small ways.

THe Set list for the San Diego show was awesome:

SETLIST
01 2+2=5
02 sit down. stand up
03 where i end and you begin
04 lucky
05 myxomatosis
06 kid a
07 sail to the moon
08 talk show host
09 paranoid android
10 just
11 no surprises
12 go to sleep
13 scatterbrain
14 you and whose army?
15 idioteque
16 the gloaming
17 there there

Encore #1:
18 pyramid song
19 the national anthem
20 a punchup at a wedding
21 how to disappear completely

Encore #2:
22 karma police
23 everything in its right place

It was my frist time seeing them and I was so excited, they put on an incredible show, just amazing, it's all I can say.
Talent ozzes out of every pore of their bodies

i'm finally getting to see them. YAY!!!!!

i was suppose to see them in west palm beach but the dates for my vacation got a bit screwed up.

now cause of the big blackout in TO they re-scheduled to a date after i move up there (Oct 15) which is great cause i'm seeing them and the strokes the night before.

i got GA which kinda sucks cause i'm so short but i don't mind cause i'm finally going to see karma police live. :hyper: :faint:

Sweet Tart, I also have GAs for Toronto. I also have extra Toronto tix in the stands (section 123, rows 16 and 18, if anybody is interested).

Oh, I work at the Hershey Centre where The Strokes have their show. I'm not scheduled to work that night, though, at least not yet.

I have a great soundboard recording from the San Diego show if anyone's interested.
Cooooooooooooooome and get it!

anyone have a lead on tickets tonight at Madison Sqaure Garden? :hyper:

It just so happens that I will be in the NY area...I wanna go, I wanna go, I wanna go, I wanna go, I wanna go. :hyper: :combust:

and the children first...

OK, I just got a phone call from Lucky Bastard (aka Zoney) who wanted me to inform everyone here that he is at MSG, awaiting another mind blowing set tonight. As I was talking to him he was buying beer and a hotdog, hehe.

We'll be hearing details tomorrow, and he'll also be Fed-Exing Ed to my house:up:

glad mr. zoney got some tix.
i swear, i could see these guys every damned night.
and i'd NEVER get sick of them.

meh.

FedEx said something about packages over 150 pounds being "cargo" and I had to call there "Cargo" department.

They weren't open. Sorry. :(

Show was pretty awesome.....I was pissed at the crowd that was making crappy remarks to Low (the opening band from Duluth, Minn. :dance: - I was pretty pumped when I saw their name up on the MSG marquee...they are close friend with my cousin).

I would say the Wisconsin show was better, but they played some unique songs last night. I need to look at the setlist.

More later!

I woke up sucking a lemon

setlist:
01 2+2=5
02 sit down. stand up
03 where i end and you begin
04 kid a
05 backdrifts
06 morning bell
07 my iron lung
08 i might be wrong
09 lurgee
10 sail to the moon
11 paranoid android
12 a punchup at a wedding
13 go to sleep
14 the gloaming
15 idioteque
16 fake plastic trees
17 there there

Encore #1:
18 you and whose army?
19 national anthem
20 a wolf at the door

Encore #2:
22 karma police
23 true love waits (thom solo)
24 everything in its right place

notes: 'karma police' and 'true love waits' were NOT on the setlist. in their place was 'airbag' which was not played.

From ateaseweb.

Damn...seems like I was close to seeing "Airbag." :grumpy:

It was a great show. The New York crowd was LOUD, although, it seemed as if Thom had to encourage them to "get into it." Or, that's what it seemed like from my seats.

I would have liked to hear Myomatosis and We suck Young Blood (especially with a New York crowd clapping in unison).

Before The Gloaming, Thom did this whole "New York City" bit. After all, the city is dark and dirty...just like the song. :D

------------------------------------------

So I have not posted here in a while, but I was in the mood as I had just seen Radiohead this weekend at MSG. I was not supposed to go, as I am not a huge fan, and did not really want to go, but a ticket came my way and I could not refuse

To start, the setlist:

[1] The Gloaming
[2] There There
[3] 2+2=5
[4] Where I End and You Begin
[5] Exit Music (for a film)
[6] Talk Show Host
[7] Myxomatosis
[8] Paranoid Android
[9] In Limbo
[10] Sail To The Moon
[11] Creep
[12] Scatterbrain
[13] Go To Sleep
[14] Just
[15] Idioteque
[16] You And Whose Army?
[17] Sit Down. Stand Up.
first encore:
[18] Lucky
[19] National Anthem
[20] Punch Up At a Wedding
[21] Street Spirit (fade out)
second encore:
[22] Airbag
[23] No Surprises
[24] Everything In Its Right Place

I am a stage design freak and I have to say that I expected a lot from this band, and they almost lived up to my expectation. I have a belief that no band can put on a show like U2 or the Rolling Stones for various reasons, and thus they have to intentionally scale down their show. I believe Radiohead has done this, but I think they have done this in a way that is most appropriate and fitting for the show they put out there. The small video screens, and the "wall" were interesting, but what I was most impressed with was the sound system. It was loud, but it had to be the clearest sound I have ever heard at a concert of that scale.

The music. As I said, I am not a huge fan (I faded away after OK Computer) so I did not recognize many of the songs. But I knew I wouldn't. I did really enjoy what they played. It is rare that you see a band in which the two guitarists at various times in the show put their guitars down and simply sit on the stage and play with levers and knobs to create sound. Interesting indeed. For me, the highlights were Pranoid Android, Creep, Idioteque and my favorite, which I had never heard before You And Whose Army. Well done indeed. The music was right on and the rhythm section was amazing, the bassist and drummer were for me the driving forces behind the complicated songs being played.

The fans. I think there is a huge disconnect between Radiohead's music and the ability for human beings to fully enjoy it live. I do not know what it is, but there was something strange in the air in the Garden. I understand how complicated the songs are, especially the changes in tempo and rhythm, but it is hard to really engage this as a fan without simply standing (or sitting as many fans were) and watching. There was not much dancing, there really wasn't much of any connection to the crowd except for maybe the first couple of rows of the pit. This, in my opinion is the major difference between Radiohead and let's say U2 for argument's sake. At a U2 show, no one sits down, no one stops singing, and mostly no one stops dancing. Not at a Radiohead show, it is all about image. And I am pretty sure the band knows this. That is why they so successfully pulled off a great show. They seemed to be able to play their music as they wanted to to and present it to the crowd versus getting the crowd inside the songs. One way they do this is the sequencing of the songs. In most concerts bands will have elaborate light schemes and try to put together a setlist that at may points flows together (medleys, no intros etc.) Radiohead did not. Instead they chose the exact opposite route. Between each song they deliberately turned all their lights off, and lit the stage with some yellow floodlights while the band and techs rearranged instruments, mics etc. This put a break (albeit small) between each song thus setting the crowd up for the next song, or presentation if you would. I felt like I was watching more of a series of live events than that of a fluid concert. Which is not bad, just different.

Overall, I had wished there was more connection with the crowd, but I do have to say that Radiohead is an amazing band with some very interesting music.

Going back into hiding,

Haven't posted in a while either but wanted to comment on ouizy's post.

You're right about the whole lame crowd at MSG. I was at Thursday's show and it was my first time seeing Radiohead so I thought maybe I was just a little over-excited. But the crowd was SO FRICKEN LAME!!! Everyone stood there as if they hated being there. I guess Radiohead fans--correction--NYC fans think it's cool to "pretend" you are not enjoying yourself.

I got many looks from people because I was up, singing, dancing......the music moved me so much!! How could I just stand there and pretend I didn't enjoy it. The same thing happened to me this summer at the Bjork show. I saw her in August, and it was the same thing....everyone sitting down as if they couldn't wait to get out of there. IT WAS BJORK!!! How could you not get up and dance and sing along with her!! I got many dirty looks that night too.

Overall though, Radiohead were amazing that night. They sounded TIGHT as hell, the set list was great and Thom was really into the crowd. I was surprised by how much he interacted with the first few rows. Maybe it's because they were the only ones moving! :rolleyes:

u2loopy said:
Haven't posted in a while either but wanted to comment on ouizy's post.

You're right about the whole lame crowd at MSG. I was at Thursday's show and it was my first time seeing Radiohead so I thought maybe I was just a little over-excited. But the crowd was SO FRICKEN LAME!!! Everyone stood there as if they hated being there. I guess Radiohead fans--correction--NYC fans think it's cool to "pretend" you are not enjoying yourself.

Ha.

Had the same problem. I was jumping up and down...I guess it wasn't appreciated by the Thursday night crowd. I think the reason for the lame crowd is because people heard this was a "must see" concert - rather than being actual fans. :shrug:

I didn't get to see Radiohead on this tour (or any tour) yet I wanted to comment on the disconnect thing...

I love Radiohead now the way I love U2. But there is one huge difference: what is completely absent in my love of Radiohead is the cult of celebrity. I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in the personalities or private lives of the band members, what they look like, what they're wearing, etc. None. It's all about the music, and for me their music is much more an introspective and private experience. It is simply music that I call soul transport music...I mean, it just takes me someplace else. With U2 there is no getting around the cult of celebrity, the fascination with Bono, etc., and while I can also be really introspective with U2 on my headphones, at a concert it is much more an external hoopla, with the shared group experience being a huge part of the overall U2 concert experience.

So I wonder if what you guys are talking about in terms of Radiohead-audience disconnect is really just people experiencing the music internally. I don't dance to Radiohead ever--I close my eyes and travel and if I did that at a concert, I might look lame to the casual observer but be having an intense inner experience with it.

Just a thought.

maybe everyone at the MSG show was lame because they were pissed it takes 4 fuckin hours just to get to the garden from wherever you live in the tri-state area, only to have to pay $75 for parking.:down:

It took me just over an hour from the Bergen Mall via public transportation. :shifty:

The way back SUCKED though. NJT :down:

The overall cost of a show is outrageous.

I saw them in toronto last night great show. I think the crowd was really into it which helped....I'll have the setlist for you soon. But from what I can see Thom yorke has the ability to move like a monkey one some sort of hallucinogen which is quite the talent.

I was not a big radiohead fan but I have to say the live show wo me over. It was perhaps one of the few non u2 concerts I've actually enjoyed in my life. The material carried over live very well and it's incredible to see how they make that music come to life on the road.

the stage design was very good for the type of show they put on. I'd actualy liekd to have seen it in an arena as opposed to the sky dome to get a better aprreciation for the scale of it. But the screens and lighting were tremendous. And considering this show wasn't meant to fit the skydome they did a great job.

The LED's were timed well I think I only really noticed them off time once and only for 5 seconds or so.

In an age of standard rock shows....this was very refreshing..it will at least aid my u2 tour withdrawal.

Last edited:
toronto set list

setlist:
01 the gloaming
02 there there
03 2+2=5
04 where i end and you begin
05 backdrifts
06 my iron lung
07 myxomatosis
08 paranoid android
09 sail to the moon
10 kid a
11 scatterbrain
12 climbing up the walls
13 like spinning plates
14 go to sleep
15 idioteque
16 fake plastic trees
17 sit down. stand up

Encore #1:
18 you and whose army?
19 national anthem
20 a punchup at a wedding

Encore #2:
22 karma police
24 everything in its right place

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Damn. Damn. Damn.

I hate you HOS. Seriously, that kicks so much ass it's not even funny. :up:

Damn.

no no no. try as you may, you don't hate me, you love me! :wink:

on another note, i cannot stop listening to four tet's remix of scatterbrain. absolutely brilliant.

Arun V said:
But from what I can see Thom yorke has the ability to move like a monkey one some sort of hallucinogen which is quite the talent.

That's our Thom.

Back
Top Bottom