Radiohead concert reviews - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2003, 02:04 PM   #136
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:17 PM
Normal ------------------------------------------

So I have not posted here in a while, but I was in the mood as I had just seen Radiohead this weekend at MSG. I was not supposed to go, as I am not a huge fan, and did not really want to go, but a ticket came my way and I could not refuse

To start, the setlist:

[1] The Gloaming
[2] There There
[3] 2+2=5
[4] Where I End and You Begin
[5] Exit Music (for a film)
[6] Talk Show Host
[7] Myxomatosis
[8] Paranoid Android
[9] In Limbo
[10] Sail To The Moon
[11] Creep
[12] Scatterbrain
[13] Go To Sleep
[14] Just
[15] Idioteque
[16] You And Whose Army?
[17] Sit Down. Stand Up.
first encore:
[18] Lucky
[19] National Anthem
[20] Punch Up At a Wedding
[21] Street Spirit (fade out)
second encore:
[22] Airbag
[23] No Surprises
[24] Everything In Its Right Place

I am a stage design freak and I have to say that I expected a lot from this band, and they almost lived up to my expectation. I have a belief that no band can put on a show like U2 or the Rolling Stones for various reasons, and thus they have to intentionally scale down their show. I believe Radiohead has done this, but I think they have done this in a way that is most appropriate and fitting for the show they put out there. The small video screens, and the "wall" were interesting, but what I was most impressed with was the sound system. It was loud, but it had to be the clearest sound I have ever heard at a concert of that scale.

The music. As I said, I am not a huge fan (I faded away after OK Computer) so I did not recognize many of the songs. But I knew I wouldn't. I did really enjoy what they played. It is rare that you see a band in which the two guitarists at various times in the show put their guitars down and simply sit on the stage and play with levers and knobs to create sound. Interesting indeed. For me, the highlights were Pranoid Android, Creep, Idioteque and my favorite, which I had never heard before You And Whose Army. Well done indeed. The music was right on and the rhythm section was amazing, the bassist and drummer were for me the driving forces behind the complicated songs being played.

The fans. I think there is a huge disconnect between Radiohead's music and the ability for human beings to fully enjoy it live. I do not know what it is, but there was something strange in the air in the Garden. I understand how complicated the songs are, especially the changes in tempo and rhythm, but it is hard to really engage this as a fan without simply standing (or sitting as many fans were) and watching. There was not much dancing, there really wasn't much of any connection to the crowd except for maybe the first couple of rows of the pit. This, in my opinion is the major difference between Radiohead and let's say U2 for argument's sake. At a U2 show, no one sits down, no one stops singing, and mostly no one stops dancing. Not at a Radiohead show, it is all about image. And I am pretty sure the band knows this. That is why they so successfully pulled off a great show. They seemed to be able to play their music as they wanted to to and present it to the crowd versus getting the crowd inside the songs. One way they do this is the sequencing of the songs. In most concerts bands will have elaborate light schemes and try to put together a setlist that at may points flows together (medleys, no intros etc.) Radiohead did not. Instead they chose the exact opposite route. Between each song they deliberately turned all their lights off, and lit the stage with some yellow floodlights while the band and techs rearranged instruments, mics etc. This put a break (albeit small) between each song thus setting the crowd up for the next song, or presentation if you would. I felt like I was watching more of a series of live events than that of a fluid concert. Which is not bad, just different.

Overall, I had wished there was more connection with the crowd, but I do have to say that Radiohead is an amazing band with some very interesting music.

Going back into hiding,

Old 10-13-2003, 03:02 PM   #137
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:17 PM
yo ouizy....

Old 10-13-2003, 11:05 PM   #138
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:17 PM
Ouizy!

I saw the same disconnect at MSG. Maybe it was the arena

I like your set list better than my setlist.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:49 AM   #139
War Child

Local Time: 04:17 PM
Haven't posted in a while either but wanted to comment on ouizy's post.

You're right about the whole lame crowd at MSG. I was at Thursday's show and it was my first time seeing Radiohead so I thought maybe I was just a little over-excited. But the crowd was SO FRICKEN LAME!!! Everyone stood there as if they hated being there. I guess Radiohead fans--correction--NYC fans think it's cool to "pretend" you are not enjoying yourself.

I got many looks from people because I was up, singing, dancing......the music moved me so much!! How could I just stand there and pretend I didn't enjoy it. The same thing happened to me this summer at the Bjork show. I saw her in August, and it was the same thing....everyone sitting down as if they couldn't wait to get out of there. IT WAS BJORK!!! How could you not get up and dance and sing along with her!! I got many dirty looks that night too.

Overall though, Radiohead were amazing that night. They sounded TIGHT as hell, the set list was great and Thom was really into the crowd. I was surprised by how much he interacted with the first few rows. Maybe it's because they were the only ones moving!
Old 10-14-2003, 09:55 AM   #140
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:17 PM
Damn. Damn. Damn.

I hate you HOS. Seriously, that kicks so much ass it's not even funny.

Damn.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:28 PM   #141
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by u2loopy
Haven't posted in a while either but wanted to comment on ouizy's post.

You're right about the whole lame crowd at MSG. I was at Thursday's show and it was my first time seeing Radiohead so I thought maybe I was just a little over-excited. But the crowd was SO FRICKEN LAME!!! Everyone stood there as if they hated being there. I guess Radiohead fans--correction--NYC fans think it's cool to "pretend" you are not enjoying yourself.
Ha.

Had the same problem. I was jumping up and down...I guess it wasn't appreciated by the Thursday night crowd. I think the reason for the lame crowd is because people heard this was a "must see" concert - rather than being actual fans.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:41 PM   #142
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:17 PM
I didn't get to see Radiohead on this tour (or any tour) yet I wanted to comment on the disconnect thing...

I love Radiohead now the way I love U2. But there is one huge difference: what is completely absent in my love of Radiohead is the cult of celebrity. I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in the personalities or private lives of the band members, what they look like, what they're wearing, etc. None. It's all about the music, and for me their music is much more an introspective and private experience. It is simply music that I call soul transport music...I mean, it just takes me someplace else. With U2 there is no getting around the cult of celebrity, the fascination with Bono, etc., and while I can also be really introspective with U2 on my headphones, at a concert it is much more an external hoopla, with the shared group experience being a huge part of the overall U2 concert experience.

So I wonder if what you guys are talking about in terms of Radiohead-audience disconnect is really just people experiencing the music internally. I don't dance to Radiohead ever--I close my eyes and travel and if I did that at a concert, I might look lame to the casual observer but be having an intense inner experience with it.

Just a thought.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:14 AM   #143
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:17 PM
maybe everyone at the MSG show was lame because they were pissed it takes 4 fuckin hours just to get to the garden from wherever you live in the tri-state area, only to have to pay $75 for parking.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:24 AM   #144
ONE
love, blood, life

It took me just over an hour from the Bergen Mall via public transportation.

The way back SUCKED though. NJT

The overall cost of a show is outrageous.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:13 PM   #145
Refugee

Local Time: 09:17 PM
I saw them in toronto last night great show. I think the crowd was really into it which helped....I'll have the setlist for you soon. But from what I can see Thom yorke has the ability to move like a monkey one some sort of hallucinogen which is quite the talent.

I was not a big radiohead fan but I have to say the live show wo me over. It was perhaps one of the few non u2 concerts I've actually enjoyed in my life. The material carried over live very well and it's incredible to see how they make that music come to life on the road.

the stage design was very good for the type of show they put on. I'd actualy liekd to have seen it in an arena as opposed to the sky dome to get a better aprreciation for the scale of it. But the screens and lighting were tremendous. And considering this show wasn't meant to fit the skydome they did a great job.

The LED's were timed well I think I only really noticed them off time once and only for 5 seconds or so.

In an age of standard rock shows....this was very refreshing..it will at least aid my u2 tour withdrawal.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:17 PM   #146
Refugee

Local Time: 09:17 PM
toronto set list

setlist:
01 the gloaming
02 there there
03 2+2=5
04 where i end and you begin
05 backdrifts
06 my iron lung
07 myxomatosis
08 paranoid android
09 sail to the moon
10 kid a
11 scatterbrain
12 climbing up the walls
13 like spinning plates
14 go to sleep
15 idioteque
16 fake plastic trees
17 sit down. stand up

Encore #1:
18 you and whose army?
19 national anthem
20 a punchup at a wedding
21 how to disappear completely

Encore #2:
22 karma police
24 everything in its right place
Old 10-17-2003, 10:07 AM   #147
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
Damn. Damn. Damn.

I hate you HOS. Seriously, that kicks so much ass it's not even funny.

Damn.

no no no. try as you may, you don't hate me, you love me!

on another note, i cannot stop listening to four tet's remix of scatterbrain. absolutely brilliant.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:52 AM   #148
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Arun V
But from what I can see Thom yorke has the ability to move like a monkey one some sort of hallucinogen which is quite the talent.

That's our Thom.

Tags
radiohead