Radiohead: Band not in Crisis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I found them earlier.

The Idioteque is awful because you can't hear Phil's drums, which is what makes the live version of the song.

And I never liked The National Anthem.

Those are the first times most any of us saw post-OK Computer Radiohead live. I remember it being a big, "Ok, maybe this album doesn't suck" type moment for me at the time. I remember going to a local record store the following week, and having a similar discussion with 2 of the guys working there, where they said the exact same thing. Despite the reviews, most Radiohead fans weren't exactly thrilled with Kid A at first. I remember being crazily close to selling the album back at a used cd store. Glad I didn't, that's for sure.

u2popmofo said:
I remember being crazily close to selling the album back at a used cd store. Glad I didn't, that's for sure.

Yeah, I just about gave up on the album after the third listen or so. OK Computer was one of my all-time favorite albums, I had no prior background in electronic music, and it was just baffling at first.

Kid A was not nearly as hard to get into as many said/I expected.

Had you had 7 years of time with only Pablo Honey, The Bends, and OK Computer, it would have been. Particularly after how big of a deal OK Computer was.

cobl04 said:
Kid A was not nearly as hard to get into as many said/I expected.

It was a lot more jarring when it was completely unexpected. Plus I was 13 at the time, making it probably the most out there thing I'd heard at that point.

Edit: I posted that before reading what you cats said.

Imperor said:
It was a lot more jarring when it was completely unexpected. Plus I was 13 at the time, making it probably the most out there thing I'd heard at that point.

You were listening to Radiohead at 13??!! Fuck me man. I was light years away from that at 13.

Earlier than that. I saw the "Karma Police" video as a kid and got hooked.

Granted I was also a massive blink-182 fan, so my taste in music pre-2003 or so wasn't anything to write home about. Still isn't.

My reaction to Kid A was as follows:

Listen 1: What the hell is this?
Listen 2: This is intriguing.
Listen 3: This is brilliant.

My reaction to Kid A was as follows:

Listen 1: What the hell is this?
Listen 2: This is intriguing.
Listen 3: This is brilliant.

Probably took me to listen 25 or 30 before getting to your third response.

I wish I still had the time / patience to listen to albums that much!

Blink were arguably the best at that genre, whatever you want to call it. I enjoy them, even if I never listen to them while listening to music alone.

Imperor said:

:hi5: Yep, same age for me too. Bought it the same day as Passengers...they work great together, but that shit fucked with my head. Really came to adore both, of course.

(Best single-day purchase was Disintegration/Crooked Rain/Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, for the record. Unbelievable. Took time for me to get into those as well, but entirely worth it. Those are among my favorites, all three of them.)

Thanks mate. Shattered it's not on an album or a b-side or something.

There's a song on Gotye's new album that has a guitar part that reminds me of In Limbo... I love that song.

If you missed it, Radiohead added the full recent From the Basement show to Youtube:

Radiohead From The Basement - YouTube

I watched this the other day and it was :drool::drool::drool:

Honestly, I think TKOL sessions (the album + These are my twisted words, Staircase, Harry Patch, The Butcher...) are the best works they've done since KID A, or maybe ever texture wise.

Is it just me or is their something about the depth of the sound on the TKOL songs that almost reminds you of they way Achtung Baby sounds? I dont know why but texturally I almost find them to have a very similar vibe. Staircase is in the top 5 songs Ive ever heard from them. Amazing that they are around this long and still producing their best material!

Harry Patch might be the most unfortunate name since I'm A Stupid Moron With An Ugly Face And A Bug Butt And My Butt Smells And I Like To Kiss My Own Butt.

. . . Staircase, . . .

??? What is this song? I've never heard it.

I also have to disagree about TKOL. I get the mindset to experiment and take things to a different place . . . but that place doesn't sound all that different to me and the experiments don't work, imo. Most of TKOL to me harkens back to older, better work by them. It sounds familiar, not original and not even all that great to me. The exception for me is 'Separator', which I absolutely love. And even though 'Separator' isn't super original either, I think it's a fully realized, 3 dimensional piece that can stand on it's own.

:shrug: Maybe I'm just super biased in favor or IR, because I love that album so much. TKOL was definitely a disappointment for me. Not horrible, not bad, but just mediocre, slightly subpar and all the more infuriating because of its mediocrity and the fact that I know they are capable of so much better.

TKOL sounds like The Eraser, but slightly better. No real point in comparing it to In Rainbows, since they have radically different goals. They're going off in a dubsteppy direction these days, but the songs are still good to my ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom