Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They're fucking deranged.

Those people actually make me like the band less. I'm sure some would say the same about Interference, but whatever.
Oh yeah. A lot of jerks over there for sure. Just thought it was strange that Decks was winning the poll.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Atease is a strange place. I haven't gone there in a while. If there's a major release, sometimes I'll what their general music section is saying.

Road4.jpg

I saw Cob's latest Instagram post... This image isn't too far from what he looks like on his current adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I've had Daydreaming stuck in my head all day. That's such a strong melody.

"This goes beyond me. Beyond you..."

So, I'll give this album 4 of 5 stars. In my mind, the album lacks that little something that would make it a 5*. The only 5*s in the Radiohead catalogue would be OKC and Kid A. The bends and in Rainbows are solid 4*s and my two fave albums of theirs, so MSP is in good company.

So, I'll give this album 4 of 5 stars. In my mind, the album lacks that little something that would make it a 5*. The only 5*s in the Radiohead catalogue would be OKC and Kid A. The bends and in Rainbows are solid 4*s and my two fave albums of theirs, so MSP is in good company.

I'm right there with you :up:

Why the eff do people hate on King of Limbs so much? It's a brilliant album. The only problem it has is that it's 8 songs long when it should be 11 (and adding "The Butcher", "Staircase", "Supercollider" and "The Daily Mail" fixes this).

I think it's overexpectation after In Rainbows. Ok, so it isn't IR, but IR is top-shelf even for a Radiohead album. KoL is certainly better than Hail to the Thief, which has been my only disappointment as a Radiohead fan (even though containing many magnificent songs). Too many songs - Backdrifts, Sit Down Stand Up, Where You End..., Punchup at a Wedding - promise much but ultimately fall short of having an impact.

I would put KoL ahead of HttF, Pablo and Amnesiac on Radiohead's disco, with #2,3,4,6 representing the creme de la creme of their albums.

As far as Moon Shaped Pool goes, way too early to say, but the fact that my ear can easily digest so many of the songs immediately makes me worry there's too much filler, like Desert Island Disk, Decks Dark, Ful Stop, The Numbers and maybe even dare I say it, even Glass Eyes (except for the intro). But Identikit, which I haven't heard before, is incredible, Burn the Witch hits the spot and this version of True Love Waits sounds infinitely more gorgeous and haunting than the somewhat clunky live Pablo Honey-era arrangement.

Loving this record. There are 'wow' moments scattered throughout.

'This is a low flying panic attack' and the climactic strings in Burn The Witch

The little jam session at the end of Decks Dark :combust:

The choral melody in Present Tense :drool:

When the strings kick in in the Numbers in the second verse. Also, the line 'The wings of a butterfly' in the Numbers, where Thom puts in possibly his most full-throated vocal on the whole record - it really feels like the whole song is building up to that moment.

The moment when Ful Stop kicks into full gear(pun intended) after the buildup and lets loose at 3:10 and then even more at around 3:30(when it sounds like another guitar comes in).

All of Identikit, but the guitar solo at the end :rockon:

The moment the strings kick in at the end of Daydreaming.

The strings in The Numbers and Tinker Tailor. Ok, the strings on the whole album.

True Love Waits. Emotionally devastating in this arrangement.

I think this may be in their upper tier of records.

Not sure about the sequencing though. It's almost perfect as is, the only issue for me is Daydreaming at #2. Coming after Burn The Witch, I get a bit of a Vertigo/Miracle Drug vibe, insofar as the momentum from an adrenaline-packed opener is squashed with a ballad right after. That's not a comment on the track itself - I think Daydreaming is gorgeous. I just also think it would be better placed later on.

I'm not messing with things too much, but I've moved Daydreaming down to the penultimate slot between Tinker Tailor and TLW, where it fits almost perfectly imo(check the transitions out) and Identikit up to #2, to form a pretty catchy/attention-grabbing opening trio, with Identikit and Decks Dark containing some of the catchiest vocal melodies on the record. Everything else the same.

1. Burn The Witch
2. Identikit
3. Decks Dark
4. Desert Island Disk
5. Ful Stop
6. Glass Eyes
7. The Numbers
8. Present Tense
9. Tinker Tailor
10. Daydreaming
11. True Love Waits

Why the eff do people hate on King of Limbs so much? It's a brilliant album. The only problem it has is that it's 8 songs long when it should be 11 (and adding "The Butcher", "Staircase", "Supercollider" and "The Daily Mail" fixes this).

I think it's overexpectation after In Rainbows. Ok, so it isn't IR, but IR is top-shelf even for a Radiohead album. KoL is certainly better than Hail to the Thief, which has been my only disappointment as a Radiohead fan (even though containing many magnificent songs). Too many songs - Backdrifts, Sit Down Stand Up, Where You End..., Punchup at a Wedding - promise much but ultimately fall short of having an impact.

I would put KoL ahead of HttF, Pablo and Amnesiac on Radiohead's disco, with #2,3,4,6 representing the creme de la creme of their albums.

As far as Moon Shaped Pool goes, way too early to say, but the fact that my ear can easily digest so many of the songs immediately makes me worry there's too much filler, like Desert Island Disk, Decks Dark, Ful Stop, The Numbers and maybe even dare I say it, even Glass Eyes (except for the intro). But Identikit, which I haven't heard before, is incredible, Burn the Witch hits the spot and this version of True Love Waits sounds infinitely more gorgeous and haunting than the somewhat clunky live Pablo Honey-era arrangement.

So much I disagree with in this post.

I can't speak for everyone, but there are multiple reasons why I'm hard on KOL.

One is that it is anemic in length. Eight tracks wouldn't be so much of an issue, but Feral is barely a song(on the record at least, live might be a different story), and Little By Little and Magpie, while I like them, especially Little By Little believe it or not, feel like they belong on a different album. They just don't fit with Bloom or the entire second half of the record, sonically speaking. Bloom and last four tracks are all really good and interesting and worthwhile and they fit together, but that's still only five tracks. The record just has never felt fully fleshed out. Like they maybe should have waited a little longer and put Staircase and Supercollider on it at least.

Another reason for me is that I usually have a very strong emotional connection to Radiohead's music, and that was less so for me with KOL. To me, it was kind of emotionally abstract and maybe a little claustrophobic, like it was never able to fully express itself. In comparison, this new record is wide open, like a gigantic open wound. As emotionally direct as any record they've put out since probably The Bends, imo.

As for AMSP, you're calling nearly half the record filler, which I just can't agree with. I'm loving it.

I also disagree about HTTT, but that horse has been beaten to death so I won't go into except to say that I think it contains some of the greatest work they've ever done.

Last edited:
"Filler" is a pretty lazy description in the case of most songs, and certainly in the case of the skillfully crafted music on this album.

The only problem it has is that it's 8 songs long when it should be 11 (and adding "The Butcher", "Staircase", "Supercollider" and "The Daily Mail" fixes this).

It should be 11, but "fixing it" by adding those 4 tracks equals 12 songs?

Hail to the Thief, which has been my only disappointment as a Radiohead fan

#2,3,4,6 representing the creme de la creme of their albums.

You're just not very good at this counting thing, are you?

Easily digest = filler? That has to be the oddest definition of filler I've ever seen.

And TLW wasn't played until Bends era.

There's half a grain of truth in there even if I don't entirely agree. Simply put, the songs that give it all up on one or two listens aren't always stayers. It's not rocket science. But in the case of this particular record, I don't think it's filler playing.

Simply put, the songs that give it all up on one or two listens aren't always stayers. It's not rocket science.

And the ones that don't give it up aren't always stayers, it's a non-qualifier.

I think of the first 10 songs that pop into my head that have stood the test of time and most were easily palatable and didn't take several listens to figure that out. I think it's an odd and a fairly new notion that music has to be "challenging" in order to be good or lasting.

It should be 11, but "fixing it" by adding those 4 tracks equals 12 songs?

You're just not very good at this counting thing, are you?

WHOA, BURN NOTICE. Should have been #s 2,3,4,7.

Add Daily Mail or don't, I don't care. But the other 3 non-album songs are all brilliant IMO, and if you add them to KoL you end up with an album that is not just consistently good, but nice and meaty as well.

I'll also take this moment to express love for Feral. It's scary as hell. I love it.

"Filler" is too strong a word and was only used relatively speaking. I almost never skip Radiohead songs. But those middle 3 songs - Deck Dark, Desert Island Disk, Ful Stop - feel a little - comfortable/familiar. Maybe they're a little rhythmically one-dimensional, is what it is. Anyway, it's very early, so hopefully I will warm to these songs over more listens.

I'm thinking I should probably drive myself to the ACL festival to see these cats in the fall.

I never listened to the King of Limbs remix album, just a couple songs in the last few days. Is it worth checking out? Any specific song recommendations?

B&C meetup at ACL?

I would be so psyched to see both of you guys. I texted Imperor earlier to see if he's gong, he is. He said this is his favorite Radiohead album since Amnesiac, I totally understand. Looking forward to seeing Cobbz' impressions when he gets home too. This forum is awesome.

Last edited:
It would be Sigur Rós > Radiohead > Sigur Rós, consecutive weeks, and I might self-destruct.

Back
Top Bottom