Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeremiahjohnson.gif

The only thing that I don't like about this album is that it makes me angry again for not managing to buy tickets for their upcoming shows.

The album is richly melodic and deep and dark and sad and scary. I think it's great.
I wanted to give a few little notes here as I like to do sometimes after a few listens.

No surprise whatsoever that Burn The Witch was the first thing they wanted people to hear from this. It's the most immediately infectious track here with that ear-catching lead string part.

Daydreaming is lovely. And what a tweaked out ending.

Colin's bass on Decks Dark! Yes! What an awesome bass tone he has.

Love the guitar playing in Desert Island Disk. Very unlike typical Radiohead guitar playing. Had almost a Spanish guitar style in parts. Reminds me of how unique and out of left field (for them) the guitar playing is on Gagging Order. Which we all know is an all-time classic. Different types of love are possible.

The two note synth sound that's prominent in Ful Stop is fucking frightening. Sounds like it could score a horror movie.

Glass Eyes draws me in with, again, the kinda atypical (for Radiohead) lyrical style. Sounds like he's leaving a message to someone over the phone?

IDENTIKIT IS MY FAVORITE SONG ON THE ALBUM. THIS SHIT KICKS ASS. JONNY GREENWOOD.

I apologize for this but I think Thom sounds exactly like Bono on the "wings of a butterfly" line in The Numbers.

"Tinker Tailor..." (hilarious song title by the way) seems to be influenced by the head space they were in when composing a James Bond movie theme song. It has that cinematic quality. Looooooooove the drums toward the end of this track.

True Love Waits is a song that we all have known for years. It's an awesome song. It's weird that it's on this album but it fits sonically in this reworked form. Sounds even sadder than the original version.

Radiohead is the shit.

Last edited:
Looking into it more, it's not weird that True Love Waits is on here at all...it (or at least this arrangement) and Daydreaming (which has a double meaning with some global warming themes) have apparently been confirmed as being inspired by Thom's divorce. 23 years, man.

True Love Waits was not originally a breakup song, it was more a rumination on love in general, but Thom pleading "just don't leave" takes on a whole new meaning now, especially 9 songs after he sings "and it's too late, the damage is done," which is really the first time we get the impression that something is wrong.

There are vague references to feeling lost, confused and full of regret all over the album: "You really messed up everything/if you could take it all back again" on Ful Stop, "Totally alive/Totally released/Waking, waking up from shutdown/From a thousand years of sleep" on Desert Island Disk, etc. The backwards speech on Daydreaming is also saying "half my life," probably in reference to his marriage; he is 47 now.

I wouldn't have guessed we were in for a breakup album after Burn the Witch premiered, but apparently this album is somehow even sadder than the its atmosphere implies.

Last edited:
Fuck, this album is sinking in now. Seriously, I hope Thom is OK. I don't mean that in a "is Bono OK" sort of way. He looks like fucking shit in the Daydreaming video and three of these songs reference anxiety attacks.

The lyrics of Glass Eyes, my God. Perfect description of depression after a breakup. The video for Daydreaming actually fits this track perfectly.

Hearing TLW after the overarching concept of the album had dawned on me...I haven't been so emotionally rocked by a song since returning to Blackstar and discovering everything Bowie had left for us. For those of us who have always loved the original and appreciated it as one of the few relatively hopeful Radiohead songs, this new version is basically Thom telling his audience that love is a lie and everything is hopeless. And that's the last word we get.

Last edited:
Hearing TLW after the overarching concept of the album had dawned on me...I haven't been so emotionally rocked by a song since returning to Blackstar and discovering everything Bowie had left for us. For those of us who have always loved the original and appreciated it as one of the few relatively hopeful Radiohead songs, this new version is basically Thom telling his audience that love is a lie and everything is hopeless. And that's the last word we get.

The slightly discordant pianos and bass rumbles that come in about half-way through are particularly unsettling, and a poignant expression of how disorienting loss can be. The line "I'm not living / I'm just killing time" is the most striking to me. Yes, this song is brilliant in this form.

Present Tense is really amazing. Feels the most of anything here like IN RAINBOWS, blah ought it would be one of that album's better songs.

Present Tense is really amazing. Feels the most of anything here like IN RAINBOWS, blah ought it would be one of that album's better songs.

Was wondering if any love for Present Tense. Probably the warmest, happiest sounding song on the album. (Don't know lyrics so could be complete opposite mood)

But love the song and might be my fav

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It feels good to howl "broken hearts make it rain" first thing in the morning.

Fuck, this album is sinking in now. Seriously, I hope Thom is OK. I don't mean that in a "is Bono OK" sort of way. He looks like fucking shit in the Daydreaming video and three of these songs reference anxiety attacks.

The lyrics of Glass Eyes, my God. Perfect description of depression after a breakup. The video for Daydreaming actually fits this track perfectly.

It really seems like this is Thom is at his most direct lyrically. There are signs everywhere of a very troubled phase in his life post-breakup: "It's too late/the damage is done" in Daydreaming; "And in your life there comes a darkness" in Decks Dark; "as my world comes crashing down" in Present Tense, "Truth will mess you up" in Ful Stop. Damn.

In a way, I feel like Daydreaming is a good snapshot of the album. There is great sadness and melancholy, but also tremendous anxiety and that unsettling mood with the dissonant strings and reverse vocals at the end.

Was wondering if any love for Present Tense. Probably the warmest, happiest sounding song on the album. (Don't know lyrics so could be complete opposite mood)

But love the song and might be my fav

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

interesting you say that, as I find Present Tense one of the saddest and emotional on the album. It's also my favorite.

This album is another classic for me. I don't know how they stay true to their art form and still manage to be successful commercially. Probably the only non-mainstream/avant-garde rock band to be able to attract such world wide attention. Sadly, some might argue that U2 can't or won't do that anymore.

It really seems like this is Thom is at his most direct lyrically. There are signs everywhere of a very troubled phase in his life post-breakup: "It's too late/the damage is done" in Daydreaming; "And in your life there comes a darkness" in Decks Dark; "as my world comes crashing down" in Present Tense, "Truth will mess you up" in Ful Stop. Damn.

In a way, I feel like Daydreaming is a good snapshot of the album. There is great sadness and melancholy, but also tremendous anxiety and that unsettling mood with the dissonant strings and reverse vocals at the end.

people saying that, at the end of Daydreaming, he's saying "half of my life" - a reference to being with his partner Rachel Owen for 23 years. The ending of Daydreaming is so haunting. It's almost anxiety inducing, but in a good way if that makes any sense.

Back
Top Bottom