Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really hard to rank the songs but right now my favorites by a mile are:

Burn The Witch
Identikit
The Numbers

And the rest are really good.

I didn't even realize he had separated from his wife. Damn. Yeah, knowing that, it wouldn't be hard to read this album through the prism of a bad breakup. And that could add some weight to some of the tracks.

I had mentioned that this version of True Love Waits was a lot sadder than the original and now that makes more sense.

And if he's still single I'll fucking date him.

Was wondering if any love for Present Tense. Probably the warmest, happiest sounding song on the album. (Don't know lyrics so could be complete opposite mood)

But love the song and might be my fav

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

IMO the best song in the album :drool:

Present Tense's lyrics are pretty devastating stuff despite the rather soothing backdrop:

"Distance
Distance
It's like a weapon
Like a weapon
Of self defense
Self defense
Against the present
Against the present
Present tense

I won't get heavy
Don't get heavy
Keep it light and
Keep it moving
I am doing
No harm
As my world
Comes crashing down
I'm dancing
Freaking out
Deaf, dumb, and blind

In you I'm lost
In you I'm lost

I won't turn around when the penny drops
I won't stop now
I won't slack off
Or all this love
Will be in vain

Stop from falling
Down a mine
It's no one's business but mine
That all this love
Could be in vain

In you I'm lost
In you I'm lost
In you I'm lost
In you I'm lost"

:( Oh, Thom. Hang in there, buddy.

Love the music of the song too, I would definitely call it one of my favorites.

Last edited:
I think I read somewhere that the split had happened long before it was announced so it's possible these songs were written sometime during the last few years and that the sadness and pain aren't so immediate for him now, though a split like that can, of course, take years to process and move beyond.

Thom was playing The Present Tense in 2009. I'm really happy it didn't make it into TKOL because they wouldn't have done it justice.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using U2 Interference mobile app

I've been listening to this non-stop since it came out. It's easily my favorite since Amnesiac.

The end of Tinker Tailor is great. The drums and strings are great. This may overtake Blackstar as my favorite of the year.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using U2 Interference mobile app

I think I read somewhere that the split had happened long before it was announced so it's possible these songs were written sometime during the last few years and that the sadness and pain aren't so immediate for him now, though a split like that can, of course, take years to process and move beyond.

Yeah, it's like the band sat down and revisited their back catalog and decided to work through some tracks that were resonating with Thom's situation. Some old (True Love Waits, Present Tense), some newer (Ful Stop, Identikit). According to Jonny, Lift was considered and I'm not surprised it was because it too is a song about overcoming tough circumstances "today is the first day of the rest of your life/lighten up, squirt."

Present Tense's lyrics are pretty devastating stuff despite the rather soothing backdrop:

"Distance
Distance
It's like a weapon
Like a weapon
Of self defense
Self defense
Against the present
Against the present
Present tense

I won't get heavy
Don't get heavy
Keep it light and
Keep it moving
I am doing
No harm
As my world
Comes crashing down
I'm dancing
Freaking out
Deaf, dumb, and blind

In you I'm lost
In you I'm lost

I won't turn around when the penny drops
I won't stop now
I won't slack off
Or all this love
Will be in vain

Stop from falling
Down a mine
It's no one's business but mine
That all this love
Could be in vain

In you I'm lost
In you I'm lost
In you I'm lost
In you I'm lost"

:( Oh, Thom. Hang in there, buddy.

Love the music of the song too, I would definitely call it one of my favorites.

Yeah, i wondered if the lyrics were pretty heavy despite a more warm sounding song. For me, I have no idea what Thom is singing/saying unless i have the lyrics to follow along with.

I do really like these. All that's missing is a few hearts and kneels ;)

Damn, I had forgotten that they played Identikit when I saw them in 2012.

Yeah the show I went to in Tinley Park in 2012 was the live debut of Ful Stop.

Last edited:
I really need to see them again.

There's this little piano melody at the beginning of The Numbers that seemed really familiar and I was annoyed I couldn't place it. Now I have it: it reminds me of the guitar melody in Feist's Caught A Long Wind.

They played Identikit when I saw them at the Jobing.com Arena in 2012, too.

Last edited:
I hate myself for how hard I laughed.

I have no regrets for how hard I laughed.

I'm glad to see all the talk about Present Tense today, it's made it onto my "favorites" list the last two days. Soon all the song will be there. Soon.

By the way, U2's Soon is one of my most listened to U2 songs of the last decade.

Ful Stop is really good. Prefect place smack dab in the middle of the album!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

There's also the Dunkin' Donuts Center in Providence.

Also in the world of large amphitheaters, there's 1-800-ASK-GARY Amphitheater in Tampa. Just awful.

I just listened to the album for the 2nd time. The first time I almost didn't know what to make of it. Definitely going to be a grower, but I like it quite a bit. It also helps me give the songs context when I see footage of them performing these crazy "songs" live. Huge fan here, hoping they properly tour the US sometime soonish.

Back
Top Bottom