Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still love it. I listen to this album a lot. These song are gorgeous. And they came off really well live. 'Ful Stop' was face-meltingly great live. 'True Love Waits' was a surreal live experience.

I'm so glad they still had another left-turn left in them after KoL. Not that I'm KoL-bashing. It just wasn't their best and I'm happy they were able to go down a different road this time.

It's my most played album of the year. Then the new Kendrick, Avalanches and Car Seat Headrest.

Also, I don't spend a lot of time on here anymore, so I'm glad to see someone else loves the new Car Seat Headrest too! :D

I don't think it's that dissimilar from TKOL. Just more substantive.

I like Teens of Denial a lot too but there's so much fat. You could trim half an hour off it easily.

Definitely wouldn't call AMSP a huge turn either...a lot of people (myself included) were dreading an album that sounded like this because of TKOL and Thom's solo work. But quality always wins out. These are some fucking great, purposeful songs. The songwriting, production, sequencing, it's all top shelf and some distance ahead of TKOL.

(I can't think of any songs from Teens of Denial that I would want to cut. Maybe some of the songs could be shortened, but they're almost all really good.)

I see Moon Shaped Pool as unique in their catalogue; I can't think of a clear antecedent for something like Glass Eyes or Burn the Witch, or the tranquility that permeates the entire thing. This is Johnny's record, with his stamp all over the instrumentation and mood in a way far more conspicuous than any other Radiohead album. I don't want to use the word "cinematic," which seems to be the term of choice for anything even remotely atmospheric, but it is somber and placid in a way that Thom's anxiety-ridden stuff certainly isn't.

Some fans received their fancy-schmancy box sets yesterday. The 2 b-sides were 'Spectre' and 'Ill Wind'. 'Ill Wind' was on Soundcloud for a while, but it's been taken down now. It's a good track. Could be "Staircase"'s cousin. I'm bummed it got taken down before I could download it. But I think my friend may have got it before it was taken down, so I might still be able to get it. I know many of you on here are more industrious than I am at obtaining downloads, so I hope you fair better than I did and get an opp to listen to it.

That's a great story.

Sent from my H60-L04 using U2 Interference mobile app

Featuring some very enthusiastic off-key singing by a fan. With Thom inevitably mocking the "I wish it was the sixties" verse. :lol:

Blow Out was supposedly soundchecked as well.

They're just getting warmed up. I've seen them twice this year and I really wouldn't mind seeing them again in 2017.

Last edited:
1. Ill wind has been taken down from YT. Is there going to be any legit means of acquiring it other than the super-duper set? 'Cause I think I'm probably going to go with the regular vinyl. The deluxe set looks cool but it will just end up collecting dust. Spectre is available individually on iTunes, but that's because it was a single.

2. Radiohead have put out many tremendous albums and many tremendous songs, but I think they could've retired after The Bends and still been legends. Just listened to it today for the first time in a while, and it's just one of those records that, even though you know it's great, still punches you in the gut when you haven't heard it for a while. Nearly every track is a classic. So great.

Isn't there a second bonus track? Ill Wind sounded good to me on my one listen.

Some more thoughts.

Burn the Witch - remains a great song. Love its strings and the urgency. The ending. The message. The line "this is a low-flying panic attack". Just feel that it misses something to make it a 10, it's a little short, but I don't know what I'd change or add, it's great as it is. 9/10

Daydreaming - utterly, devastatingly beautiful. The piano is gorgeous, the electronic treatments to the music lift it up even more and Thom's lyrics and delivery are amazing - you've got this calm, tranquil song playing around you and yet Thom's lyrics and vocals - "We are / just happy to serve / happy to serve / you" are so unnerving. A great example of why I love Thom Yorke so much, in the hands of most other artists this would just be a really, really nice song, not a transcendent one. 10/10

Decks Dark - one of a number of songs that has been a sleeper hit for me. Flows perfectly out of Daydreaming. I adore the piano and the interstellar vibe of the music - amazing that they've been able to nail that vibe again, 20 years after mastering it on Subterranean Homesick Alien. My favourite moment starts at 3:24 and continues until the end - the dark piano notes, the guitar hits, the bass line that walks in and Thom's distant, knowing "sweet time"s. 9/10

Desert Island Disk - a really cool Nick Drake-esque song. Can't say I adore it but it's certainly not bad. 7/10

Ful Stop - duelling with Daydreaming for the title. Musically it's fucking sensational, that dark crescendo music that slowly envelops you over the first two minutes before Thom finally wades in, very dark, restraining some anger. 'Restraint' is not a bad word to describe the song, actually: I was originally a little disappointed in the song because it is the album's centrepiece and it just feels restrained throughout; it bubbles away but never fully explodes. Thom's vocals have this calm menace to them throughout but again they never really explode. But the restrain is what makes it such an enduring song, I continue to come back to it and the break that comes after three minutes is awesome, and a great example of Radiohead's musical genius, the way all the instruments, the light drumming, that deep, incessant bass line all interlock and interplay. In Rainbows is my favourite Radiohead album because of that and Ful Stop has that musical genius in full effect. It will pass you by, but if you actively listen to it it really is mindblowing how good that music sounds. And then across the final minute we get some A1, classic Thom moaning that elevates the song to another level, over the top of that supportive, interlocked music I've just talked about. 10/10

Glass Eyes - fucking, fucking gorgeous. The slow, contemplative piano and the strings absolutely slay me and Thom's wistful vocals and lyrics mesh together so beautifully. Hugely underrated song. 9/10

Identikit - I am probably not quite as high on this as others, the reverberating guitar underneath Thom's slightly off "broken hearts / make it rain" lines bother me a little. But I'm nitpicking, I hardly hate it. Love the ghostly "broken hearts / make it rain" that come in after those lines alongside the synths. The last minute with that tortured guitar work is fucking stellar and possibly the best moment of the album. I wish it lasted longer. Maybe it does live? I can't recall the version I saw in 2012 and haven't watched/listened to any clips from this tour. 8/10

The Numbers - lyrically I think it strays away from the rest of the album with its environmental message and overall, with Thom's sleepy vocal delivery, I find this song to be in the lower rungs of the album. But there's nothing in it to dislike. The laughter in the background is great unnerving Radiohead and the matter-of-fact music is comforting. The strings that come in three-quarters of the way through lift the song and the piano that's played towards the end I think would sound great in a TV show's opening theme. And the "one day at a time" lines are great. Also it segues SO well into Present Tense. 7/10

Present Tense - the third sleeper hit. I think had they thrown this song earlier in the album it would get the love it deserves. It is In Rainbows through and through, from the shuffling drum line and guitar work to the Thom's moans. Very evocative of Nude. Thom is stunning vocally, "don't get heeeeavy" and the eerie treatments that they place on the echoes of his vocals. "I am doing / no harm". Again the musical genius of the band is on great display at about the halfway mark - notice how the song subtly begins to change around Thom as he sings "as my world / comes crashing down / I'll be dancing / freaking out / deaf, dumb / and blind" and then morphs into new, In Rainbows-esque sounds. Then Thom comes back, sounding a little more happy, hopeful, dumb, "in you I'm lost". An absolutely wonderful song. 9/10

Tinker Tailor - probably bottom of the pack for me, but the piano does get stuck in my head and as other elements are slowly added - the barely perceptible drumming at first, then those strings come in, and they slowly become the hero of the song, and the way they wind down with the drumming is, again, just brilliant. 7/10

True Love Waits - I've not heard all the versions of this song over the years - anyone else have a particularly favourite version of it? - but I love that this is what we ended up with. The piano sounds simultaneously defeated and hopeful, as does Thom, which is a pretty amazing achievement. Pulls the heartstrings so well, "doooonnnn'tttt leave..." The other musical flourishes, like the tiny piano notes that come in the background, just help elevate the song beyond itself. One of Radiohead's best closers for sure. 9/10

I never thought I would say this about a Radiohead album, but there has been so much excellent stuff this year that Moon Shaped Pool has fallen off the radar a bit for me. I just received my deluxe vinyl edition, though, so now is as good a time as any to revisit it.

Back
Top Bottom