Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hear that Pablo Honey wasn't really well received among fans/critics because it sounded too grunge like. is that really true? i don't know too much about Radioheads history as I've been avoiding the band until recently

I don't know if it wasn't well received, but they were perceived as another one of 'those bands' circa 1992/93 - good, but you know, join the queue - and I don't think, 'Creep' aside, that anybody started sitting up and paying much notice until The Bends appeared.

Listened to Supercollider, Butcher, Daily Mail and Staircase for the first time. Only Supercollider has stuck in my head. I love it! Nonetheless, I'll be listening to them again. I agree that these don't really fit in with TKOL. That said, even some songs on TKOL don't really fit in with TKOL. Just a really patchy album that doesn't know if it wants to be Thom Yorke solo or Radiohead.

I don't know if it wasn't well received, but they were perceived as another one of 'those bands' circa 1992/93 - good, but you know, join the queue - and I don't think, 'Creep' aside, that anybody started sitting up and paying much notice until The Bends appeared.

Just making sure that whatever I'm reading online is accurate (especially in Japan where people tend to have different opinions about album; many Japanese guys online thought Burn The Witch was horrible, which i didn't necessarily think).

actually one guy described AMSP as "the album where all the members let Thom do whatever he wants to cope with his hardship after his marriage/relationship broken down", which sounded accurate at some degree.

Last edited:
If you really want to know how Pablo Honey was received, go read contemporary press reviews of it from 1993. The music media has the attention span of a goldfish, such that any long lived artist is condemned to have each new release greeted as a 'return to form' (like the last album, and the one before that).

I know that Discovery by Daft Punk was hated by some people when it was released. yet its considered as the house music classic. so I guess same thing could happen to Radiohead.

Also, Metallica's Load was actually decently well received in mid 90s, wtf, right?

I get why people think this, but it's a generalization and not really fair.
I've listened to RHCP plenty of times, the majority of his lyrics are nonsense thrown together because they rhyme. I once saw the lyrics of "Can't Stop" described as "cryptic," which is the most hilariously polite way they could possibly be described. It's absolutely fair.

I had the exact same reaction as Cobbler after looking over the lyrics. I heard the news when it broke but had completely forgotten about it.

Burn the Witch and The Numbers don't really fit in, but virtually everything else is about being depressed, anxious and lonely after making some terrible life decisions that you deeply regret, so yeah, no coincidences here.

I think that is a bit of a stretch. Thom's life of late no doubt influenced it, strongly maybe, but it's not as simple as that. Here's Radiohead's breakup record, guys.

Burn the Witch and The Numbers don't really fit in, but virtually everything else is about being depressed, anxious and lonely after making some terrible life decisions that you deeply regret, so yeah, no coincidences here.

According to this I should fucking love the album after perusing the lyrics.

I think that is a bit of a stretch. Thom's life of late no doubt influenced it, strongly maybe, but it's not as simple as that. Here's Radiohead's breakup record, guys.

I don't know why it's so difficult to buy that Thom would want to write about relatable human emotions following a challenging period of his life. Nor do I see the "breakup album" tag as detrimental, considering some of the greatest albums of all time could receive the same label.

But hey, maybe I'm just a big softy and these songs are actually about drone strikes, ISIS and the growing ubiquity of mobile technology. The usual cryptic Thom shit.

Last edited:
I hear that Pablo Honey wasn't really well received among fans/critics because it sounded too grunge like. is that really true? i don't know too much about Radioheads history as I've been avoiding the band until recently

The Bends got a less than stellar review in Spin when it was released. They unfavorably compared it to Pablo Honey.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I despise Muse so anyone who thinks that is where my thoughts were going is way off.

No, it's not that Thom wouldn't want to write about 'relatable human emotions' (he always has, come on) or what has gone down in his life. I just think, this is Radiohead, it's rarely going to be all one thing, or all another thing. It can be taken in a number of ways. And if one tries to shove it in the box marked 'Thom's Breakup Album', then one is left throwing out 'Burn the Witch' or 'The Numbers' or certain others songs, cause like, well, they don't really fit, they're not proper parts of the album, which is Thom's Breakup Album.

That's all.

Last edited:
Wow, they played that shit in 2009? Full version like this? For some reason I thought it had been a lot longer since they played it.

Yeah, so did I. I thought it was like 15+ years or something. I thought they fucking hated it. Sounded great!

Cool to see No Surprises back too. I love that song.

Back
Top Bottom