Rachel Yamagota - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2004, 10:50 PM   #1
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:12 AM
Rachel Yamagota

I hope that is the spelling?!? Has anyone heard of her or the song that is playing on the airwaves? I can't remember the name but I loved it and I had never heard of her before. Is anyone familiar with her to tell me alittle bit about her and what she is about. How about a website or even correct spelling I think I have found my new favorite female singer! Thanks! Take Care~ANGIE~

Old 10-16-2004, 03:59 AM   #2
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:12 PM

Rachael Yamagata:

http://www.rachaelyamagata.com

I've only heard "Under My Skin", as I got it on a sampler CD...but I absolutely love it. It's one of those songs that I put on repeat to beautifully torment myself. I want Happenstance.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 10-16-2004, 07:19 AM   #3
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:12 AM
Right on! Thanks gurl, you are SUPER!
Old 04-22-2005, 10:44 PM   #4
War Child

Local Time: 12:12 PM
I think we should wake this thread back up -- I am in love with this album...my review for Amazon...

=============================

Rachael Yamagata - Happenstance

I have to say out front that I am not a fan of jazzy blues or bluesy jazz at all, or whatever pigeonhole you'd want to place this album.

That said, I am absolutely addicted to this album. I think it's my second favorite album of 2004, behind the new U2. It's actually up there with my favorite all time albums. I am shocked. I haven't been this surprised at loving an album since Hole's "Celebrity Skin".

Like most other people, I was introduced to Rachael through "Worn Me Down", which is easily one of my favorite songs of 2004. But this song is totally and completely UNrepresentative of the rest of the album, and, although I LOVE the song, that's a good thing.

I am not a fan of Norah Jones...where her music lives in the 40s, Rachael's lives in the now. I can see why people compare them, but I don't think it fits exactly. I also see the Fiona Apple comparison, but I don't think that fits too well, either. I do hear Rachael channeling Janis Joplin in the amazing "Letter Read", though.

I don't necessarily want to do a song by song review...but suffice to say, despite the mellowness, it is FAR from boring. I just keep going back to it. "Be Be Your Love" is typical of her style, and is a great opener -- it surprises you how it builds up and just hooks its claws into you. Once you start listening to this, the entire album doesn't let go.

"Under My Skin" is another favorite. I'm not very good at describing what I love about a song, but this is another surprise that keeps building up.

"I Want You" sounds like of those edgy Tori Amos songs I love so much. Her growl fits so well here.

"Reason Why" is one of the most beautiful songs here. It definitely reminds me of Sarah McLachlan. I know I mention similarities to many artists, but she is still quite unique.

"Quiet" is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard.

I don't know what else to say. I love this album more every day. And it amazes me.

Buy it.

Now.
"My feeling is that it is cool for people to share our music -- as long as no one is making money from the process. We tell people who come to our concerts that they can tape the shows if they want. I think it is cool that people are so passionate about our music" -- Bono
The continuous search for purpose...
Old 04-22-2005, 10:45 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:12 PM
I love "Worn Me Down"
Old 07-31-2006, 09:57 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

I know this is a really old thread but I'm bumping it up. I just heard a few songs from Happenstance and I love them. Must go buy it soon. She has a beautiful voice, I love the deep kind of sound. And great songs. I love "Reason Why" and "Be Be Your Love".

www.myspace.com/rachaelyamagata
Old 08-02-2006, 08:47 AM   #7
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Her songs are beautiful. I finally did get her album, and it is fabulous.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 08-02-2006, 09:37 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

I just bought it yesterday. Fantastic album.