RA D IOHE_AD "IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part VI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lazarus said:
Finally someone else who doesn't think How to Disappear is some masterpiece.

I can't even think straight right now to do this properly, I've got Beatles on the brain. And didn't we just do this before In Rainbows came out? Am I crazy?

I like How to Disappear..., it used to do a lot more for me, but now it doesn't. Funny how music changes like that.

We probably did, but I just wanted an excuse to put Jigsaw and All I Need on a best of list.

oh...

1. All I Need
2. Climbing Up The Walls
3. Where I End And You Begin
4. Idioteque
5. Bodysnatchers
6. Gagging Order
7. Just
8. Everything In Its Right Place
9. Let Down
10. 15 Step
11. Paranoid Andriod
12. You
13. You And Whose Army?
14. Karma Police
15. Bullet Proof.. (I Wish I Was)

something like that...hard to judge... Videotape, Street Spirit (Fade Out), There There, Sail to the Moon, In Limbo, Nude, Fake Plastic Trees, High and Dry, I Want None Of This are all up there for me as well

lazarus said:
Finally someone else who doesn't think How to Disappear is some masterpiece.

How to Disappear is gorgeous, but god is it depressing. I usually only listen to it when I'm listening to Kid A. Actually, that's how I am with Kid A songs usually. Though Everything and Idioteque stand out for me, overall the album is much, much better in its entirety than if you break it apart track-by-track. It's kind of like the whole thing is one giant song. I have to be in the right mood (usually not happy) to really want to listen to it, but oh how perfect it can be :drool:

In Rainbows, on the other hand, works in any mood, which is why I think it may be a better album. I'd still put OK Computer at the #1 spot for now though.

I thought HTDC was awful when I first heard it, but, again, I thought that about most of the album. I love it now. Gorgeous tune, dull or not.

1. Wierd Fishes/Arpeggi * (way to early to be sure, but damn i adore it)
2. Idioteque
3. Pyramid Song
4. Paranoid Android
5. The Gloaming
6. Lucky
7. Exit Music (For A Film)
8. Kinetic
9. How To Disappear Completely
10. Where I End And You Begin
11. Wolf At The Door
12. Karma Police
13. Fog
14. No Surprises
15. Melatonin

1. Airbag
2. House Of Cards
3. Pyramid Song
4. There There
5. Reckoner
6. Like Spinning Plates (Live)
7. Sail To The Moon
8. Faust ARP
9. I Might Be Wrong
10. Karma Police
11. Where I End And You Begin
12. All I Need
13. How To Disappear Completely
14. Fake Plastic Trees
15. The Tourist

If you get a chance, check out unico's sig while listening to Arpeggi.

It'll blow your mind.

spideyNfriendsdancing.gif

They synced just about perfectly for me the first time. It's like Dark Side of the Rainbow all over again.

inmyplace13 said:

It'll blow your mind.

They synced just about perfectly for me the first time. It's like Dark Side of the Rainbow all over again.

That sig is the bomb... It works for practically anything, I'm listening to Sweetness Follows by REM right now and it still works.

1. Karma Police
2. How to Disappear Completely
3. Exit Music
4-15, in no particular order
High & Dry
Fake Plastic Trees
Bulletproof
Paranoid Android
Lucky
In Limbo
I Might Be Wrong
Like Spinning Plates [Live]
Sail to the Moon
All I Need
Reckoner
Videotape

inmyplace13 said:

It'll blow your mind.

Aw man, I love gifs that synch up with songs. Look at this and listen to Spiders (Kidsmoke) by Wilco at the same time:

picklecpwe0.gif

intedomine said:
You are kidding right?

I absolutely love that song. It resonates with me whenever I listen to it and probably has Thom's best post-2000 vocals.

intedomine said:
1. Wierd Fishes/Arpeggi * (way to early to be sure, but damn i adore it)

You are kidding right?

I got this from ateaseweb.com which posted a New York Times article from today:

"Radiohead is close to signing a series of deals to release its next album, ‘In Rainbows’ independently and leave the major record companies behind.According to The New York Times, the band is close to a deal to release the CD version of the album in North America through a pact with the music complex headed by Coran Capshaw, the impresario best known for guiding the career of the Dave Matthews Band.

The band is expected to market the album internationally through the British label XL Recordings, according to people briefed on the band’s plans.

The independent labels appear poised to win a bidding war for the band’s album that had included suitors like Warner Brothers Records, Columbia Records and, at one point, Starbucks, whose corporate label has signed artists including Paul McCartney.

Under the proposed deal, Radiohead would license the album, “In Rainbows,” for a specified period of time but retain ownership of the recording.

Side One, a fledgling label being spun off from Mr. Capshaw’s management company, Red Light, would release the album domestically in concert with another of Mr. Capshaw’s companies, ATO Records.

Radiohead’s previous album ‘Hail to the Thief’ has sold roughly a million copies domestically, and the band’s managers have said they viewed the recent name-your-price offer, in part, as a test of whether the availability of cheap (or free) music online would reduce the band’s future CD sales.

Representatives for the band and Red Light declined to comment."

My friend texted this to me the other day:

"In Rainbows = 10 letters. 10 songs. Came out on 10/10"

and I had to respond "23?"

She's a bit of a kook, but that can't be coincidence, can it?

I love how 15 Step goes into this total realm of awesomeness just before the kids start yelling. That beat!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Zootlesque said:
I love how 15 Step goes into this total realm of awesomeness just before the kids start yelling. That beat!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

It's a Kid A feel that I love. :drool: I think the kids are the children of the children who sang on Another Brick in the Wall. This is what I've been telling myself. :wink:

So I listened to In Rainbows for the first time in a while yesterday and I must say the line in 15 Step where thom sings "Et cetera, et cetera" makes me want to punch him in the head.

I am fine with the bands "pay what ever you think is appropriate" idea, but this "imagine what ever lyrics you want here" thing pisses me off.

Thom I don't pay you ($0.00) so that you can turn around and make ME do your lyric writing.

Zootlesque said:

yes, the echo on thom's voice as well:drool:

... do you feel that people should listen to an album for less than a month and then shelve them?

What a weird comment.

:huh:

corianderstem said:
... do you feel that people should listen to an album for less than a month and then shelve them?

What a weird comment.

:huh:

agreed. I've been listening to Pop for 10 years :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom