RA D IOHE_AD "IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part VI - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2007, 05:00 PM   #136
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton
I thought the 0110 was only so/so. There are too many rough transitions for my liking.

EGADS!

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1
nice, so if 38% of 1.2 million downloads were paid at an average price of $6.00...

$2,736,000...

Not bad, and that's pure profit with no pesky label, promotion and packaging costs...

Old 11-06-2007, 09:38 PM   #137
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 04:30 PM
I must say that 'Jigsaw Falling Into Place' is now my favorite song of the album.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:16 PM   #138
Refugee

Local Time: 10:30 PM
I found myself randomly singing that song to myself in my organic chem lab the other day.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:41 AM   #139
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by elevated_u2_fan
nice, so if 38% of 1.2 million downloads were paid at an average price of $6.00...

$2,736,000...

Not bad, and that's pure profit with no pesky label, promotion and packaging costs...
The average price paid overall works out to $2.28 per download. Billboard estimated the band would've made $2.50-$3.00 per album selling it through a label. Based on those estimates, they still lost anywhere from (at best) 9% to (at worst) 24% of their earnings by going this route.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 11-07-2007, 12:47 AM   #140
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

The average price paid overall works out to $2.28 per download. Billboard estimated the band would've made $2.50-$3.00 per album selling it through a label. Based on those estimates, they still lost anywhere from (at best) 9% to (at worst) 24% of their earnings by going this route.

That's probably not including the discboxes though.

Plus, they're going to recoup those losses once they put the CD in stores anyway.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:08 AM   #141
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
The imaginative and moral victory of In Rainbows cannot be measured in silver and gold.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:40 AM   #142
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:30 PM
I'm late to the party, I only just heard the album recently and forgot all about these mega-threads.

I avoided the new tracks (live stuff etc.) like the plague, so I think save for maybe bits of one or two songs, I hadn't heard any of this. I also avoided the hype the best I could, so I think I'm coming in with a pretty open mind.

Weird Fishes/All I Need/Bodysnatchers/Reckoner

all top of the line, awesomeness.

The others are either growing on me or at least pretty darn good.

Overall a strong album, not their best, far from their worst.
I wouldn't say I was disappointed at all, I'm also not blown away but that's certainly fine.

I think it's an excellent progression from HTTT and is an example of the kind of rock that hasn't yet become boring, although maybe they are just sounding like themselves, rather than trying to reinvent things all over again. Not really needed.

As of today, In Rainbows=8/10. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi =11/10
Old 11-07-2007, 09:47 AM   #143
Blue Crack Supplier

Here's a similar article from E! News, the most important part is in bold at the very bottom...

Source: http://www.eonline.com/news/article/...5d&sid=fd-news

Quote:
Fans Shortchanging Radiohead's Rainbows?
by Josh Grossberg
Tue, 6 Nov 2007 04:59:15 PM PST

That pot of gold at the end of Radiohead's Rainbows may not be as full as thought.

The band's ballyhooed In Rainbows, available only online at a price set by individual fans, may not be the paradigm-changing, label-killing force it's been hyped to be.

A new study says nearly two-thirds of respondents indicated they didn't pay anything for the download.

The findings were announced Tuesday by comScore, an information company that provides real-time measurements of Internet usage through a database of nearly 1 million Netizens. The company has permission to track all the users' Web activity. And according to comScore, approximately 62 percent of the people in its focus group who downloaded In Rainbows didn't kick in a single cent to what's been dubbed Radiohead's "honesty box."

The study was based on sales in the four weeks following In Rainbows' Oct. 10 release.

Those who did pay, forked over an average of $6 worldwide.

Based on its statistical sample, comScore found that Americans were more generous, shelling out an estimated $8.05 per download. Those abroad, mostly consumers in Europe, averaged $4.64 per download.

Some 12 percent paid between $8 and $12, about as much as what Apple's iTunes charges for a digital album. This group accounted for 52 percent of the band's profits.

Finally, 4 percent of the band's fans were dedicated enough to pay between $12 and $20—the same range as a typical brick-and-mortar record shop.

Still, according to comScore senior analyst Andrew Lipsman, Radiohead might be onto something.

"If [Radiohead] is getting $6 on average, and it's basically going straight into their pockets and their costs are minimal, it could be economically viable," he told E! Online.

Radiohead essentially needs to make $1.50 per download to break even, Lipsman estimates, so at $6 per buyer, the group still looks to make out pretty well with the scheme.

"The question is: How will new artists be able to use this [pay what you like] model in the future if they haven't built a fan base in the millions in the years leading up to the release of their album under [this] model?" said Michael Laskow, CEO of TAXI, a leading independent Artist and Repertoire firm.

Lipsman said that the comScore study revealed some interesting cultural differences in the downloading habits of American versus Netizens in the rest of the world, though predominantly in Europe.

"At least anecdotally, it sounds like there's much more of a music-download culture abroad," the analyst pointed out, adding that Americans' higher levels of disposable income might be one explanation.

Lipsman also pointed out that for every dollar consumers spent on download sales, they also spent $2 on Radiohead's $80 deluxe box set, which includes a free In Rainbows download, as well as a physical CD of the album, a bonus disc of eight additional tracks, vinyl records, a lyric book. The package is due to ship Dec. 3.

"It sounds like there will be continuing experimentation with this model," he added. "But the real question is: Was it worth it for Radiohead, and will there be more bands that experiment with it even without the notoriety they have?"

A rep for Radiohead has previously said the band would release sales figures at the end of the year.

Meanwhile, Radiohead recently signed a deal with British indie label XL Recordings to distribute the In Rainbows CD in stores outside of North America on Dec. 3. The band is also in talks with a separate label for a Stateside release.

The band's old record company, EMI, meanwhile is trying to get in on the action. The label has announced plans to issue a seven-disc boxed set containing Radiohead's first six studio albums—from Pablo Honey to Hail to the Thief—as well as the live album I Might Be Wrong and original artwork by longtime collaborator Stanley Donwood for $80.

EMI will also make the catalog available in a limited-edition 4-gigabyte USB stick featuring the band's bear logo and CD-quality WAV files; it will also be available as a downloadable digital bundle.

Preorders for the boxed set are now being accepted at radioheadstore.com. The set will be available Dec. 10.

Radiohead has confirmed it will kick off a world tour in support of In Rainbows next May. In the meantime, according to the BBC, the rockers are gearing up for their first Webcast in five years on Friday, where they will reportedly talk about the new material and possibly play some songs.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:18 AM   #144
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:30 PM
Webcast.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:34 PM   #145
Refugee

How do I watch the webcast?
Old 11-07-2007, 02:36 PM   #146
Blue Crack Supplier

I dunno, this is all they have on atease currently:

http://www.ateaseweb.com/2007/11/05/...ast-on-friday/
Old 11-07-2007, 03:06 PM   #147
Blue Crack Distributor

I regret paying nothing for it. Yeah, I'll buy the album when it's physically released, but Radiohead won't see as much of my money as they would have if I'd paid for it online.

Oh well. Sorry, Radiohead.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:20 PM   #148
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
Oh well. Sorry, Radiohead.
You should be... I didn't pay anything either and now I'm skurd...

Thom Yorke is gonna beat the crap out of me!
Old 11-07-2007, 03:24 PM   #149
Blue Crack Distributor

Pfft. He has to see me to catch me, and surely he can't see me with that wonky eye.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:25 PM   #150
Blue Crack Supplier

lol

update for the webcast for those interested:

http://www.ateaseweb.com/2007/11/07/...re-webcasting/

Tags
in rainbows, radiohead