RA D IOHE_AD IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part V - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2007, 08:26 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:53 AM
RA D IOHE_AD IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part V

Successful?

Quote:
Gigwise has learnt that Radiohead have sold an amazing 1.2million copies of their seventh album ‘In Rainbows.’

The band and their long-term management company Courtyard Management have remained tight lipped about the exact sales figures, seemingly in a bid to add to keep a mysterious air around the album.

But speaking to a source close to the band last night, we’ve discovered that the Oxford band have achieved this monumental sales figure.

Story continues below...

Even if every person who downloaded the album paid just 10 pence, the band will still rake in a massive £120,000. That figure is likely to be higher, with many speculating the average figure will even out at around the £1 mark.

With growing media hype around the release of ‘In Rainbows’, these unprecedented sales figures look certain to keep on rising. If they finally announce a world tour, audience figures are expected to be higher too.

Thom Yorke and co. will cash in again when the payments clear for the ‘In Rainbows’ box set which are on sale for £40 a go.

As expected, Radiohead are the clear victors of this radical way of releasing their album. Their success should prompt other big names to follow suit.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/37670/ex...of-in-rainbows

yea Radiohead pwned

Old 10-11-2007, 09:03 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

don't get any big ideas. they're not gonna happen.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:07 AM   #3
She's the One

Local Time: 11:53 PM
Quote:
Even if every person who downloaded the album paid just 10 pence, the band will still rake in a massive £120,000.
In whose book is 120,000 pounds massive?
Old 10-11-2007, 09:18 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

I believe that is massive when compared to what a band's cut would be if they released the album through a record company. damn greedy bastards.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:33 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

In whose book is 120,000 pounds massive?
I was wondering if it was typo!

I love In Rainbows so much I'm suddenly feeling there's about $80 burning a hole in my pocket. I may have to spend it.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:34 AM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:53 AM
Jesus, I left at 5 and you guys just kept going and going... I managed to read several pages of the last thread but it was too much...

I'm on my 8th spin right now and I haven’t gotten bored of it yet so that's a good sign.

House Of Cards is still my favorite. it's so haunting...

Also, I agree with Atomic Bono's comment several hours ago that this feels like one of Radiohead’s "warmer" albums, it's very processed to be sure but there is an organic feel which I haven’t heard since The Bends. HTTT had a more organic feel as well but it was much grittier...
Old 10-11-2007, 09:39 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:53 AM
The first day I owned HTTT I drove to Albuquerque and from a clear sky these enormous raindrops began falling on my windshield during a particular song. I thought that was weird.

So yesterday, the first day of owning In Rainbows, I drove to Abq to see The Shins and there was a sudden rainstorm and then a beautiful rainbow appeared.

True story.

I also drove to Abq the first day of owning Kid A but I don't remember anything special happening except I cried.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:39 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

I was wondering if it was typo!

I love In Rainbows so much I'm suddenly feeling there's about $80 burning a hole in my pocket. I may have to spend it.

Is there $160 in your pocket? My birthday is coming up ...
Old 10-11-2007, 09:41 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

The only thing I remember about listening to Kid A the first time was saying "wtf" over and over again checking to see if I bought the wrong album
Old 10-11-2007, 10:02 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:53 AM
Just had a listen to the new album. My first impressions are extremely positive and I'll definitely buy it if/when it is released on a traditional CD,

Radiohead are kinda in the same frustrating basket as Arcade Fire for me - I think I'd be absolutely fanatical about them if only I could love their respective lead singers' vocals more. Thom Yorke's got a gorgeous voice with lots of subtlety and nuance, but as a vocalist he rarely if ever connects with me in any meaningful way and his upper register often has a grating, mosquito-buzz quality that makes me hate otherwise great songs like Idioteque. The new album has a few irritating vocal moments, but overall I found Thom at his most listenable since The Bends.

Musically, I think the album is amazing; it flows together perfectly like a true album should and it's full of lovely, interesting textures that should only get better with further listens. What surprised me the most is that there's real warmth to the music and some songs have a vibe that is almost romantic, and warm/romantic are the descriptions I've never really associated with Radiohead. So in that sense I think that the album is definitely a change, which is great.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:32 AM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

Some perspective on that 1.2 million copies figure:

That's for just 1 day, and it's more than any U2 album has ever sold in its first WEEK.

Also consider that when Kid A debuted at #1, it was an extremely slow week for releases, and I think they managed to do it with only around 100,000 copies. (when it normally takes 2 or 3 times that to top the chart). Again, that's for a WEEK.

Pretty impressive.

Obviously not having to pay anything, or pay much for it helped so many copies go out the door, but we'll know more about that when the average amount is confirmed. I suspect this is also a good model because not having to leave your house to buy music the day it's released is one that's going to appeal to many music buyers.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:35 AM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

just out of curiosity, does the 1.2 million figure include those who paid $0.00 for their download?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:37 AM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

I believe it does.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:41 AM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

ok, so out of 1.2 million copies shipped how many were sold for a standard price (lets say $9.00) and how many were given away or were at below cost I wonder?

I realize since there is no record label and no shipping/production/packaging/promotion costs the profit margin is much higher but still...

Wow.. look at me, sounding all corporate…
Old 10-11-2007, 10:44 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Well, that's why they figure the average would come out to about £1 per download. If that ends up being the average, that's over £1 million right there.

Pretty nice rake if you ask me.