RA D IOHE_AD IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part V - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2007, 03:45 PM   #121
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

Except they did.

It's almost like after "Fake Plastic Trees" they're so afraid, or insistent, on not having a song in the vein of a traditional big, beautiful, all-out ballad. "How To Disappear . . . " comes close, but it still has that weird, chaotic break towards the end.

It's like they're consciously saying we're Radiohead. We can't make anything conventional.

Kind of reminds me of U2 around ATYCLB talking about how they had been trying so hard to make Edge not sound like Edge, that they forgot how great Edge could sound if they just let him loose.

In hindsight, and if I had their ear, I would've given RH the same advice about "All I Need" and "Videotape".

Ahhh, Videotape. We really didn't need another "Motion Picture Soundtrack" Part II type song.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:49 PM   #122
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:49 AM
Quote:
I can believe people can quote the lyrics already. I've listened to it nearly nonstop and haven't learned any yet.
I never understand half of what Thom is saying, I kind of enjoy it...

Old 10-11-2007, 03:49 PM   #123
The Male

Local Time: 01:49 AM
Quote:
I can believe people can quote the lyrics already. I've listened to it nearly nonstop and haven't learned any yet.
http://www.greenplastic.com/lyrics/
Old 10-11-2007, 03:53 PM   #124
The Fly

Quote:
I know these songs by heart cause I've been listening to most of these songs for at least a year. It's kinda sick when you think about it ("yeah, the new Radiohead cd is getting released tomorrow but all of the songs are already imprinted on my brain!"). I mean, when I heard All I Need for the first time I immediately noticed and was kinda disappointed that they used the "I'm an animal trapped in your hot car" line and not "I'm a flash flood running through your ground floor".
Old 10-11-2007, 03:57 PM   #125
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 03:49 AM
Quote:

The Shins were great. This was the second show this year for their hometown crowd, after a long absence. The first show was in a club they used to play in way back when and was heavy on their earlier material, practically ignoring Wincing, but it was clear why--this was a show for the fans who supported them before they got big. That was a really exciting show. Last night was a theatre show and was more oriented towards the newer material. They are a really tight live band and much more rocking than you'd think (as you probably know since you've seen them).

And their light show was very rainbowy (to bring this back to the topic at hand).

Listening to In Rainbows on the late night drive home under the big desert sky was bliss.
Very cool. Did they play 'Sea Legs'? If so, how was it? They didn't play it here earlier this year, and it sounded majorly screwed up on Leno the other night (completely guitarless, despite the fact that two guitars were being played).

It would be awesome to see The Shins in Albuquerque. When they played here, they hadn't announced any dates in NM yet, and they said lots of family and friends were at the show, so I kinda got a small taste of what a real "hometown" show for them might be. Glad the show was good. I agree that they are surprisingly more rocking in concert.

Back on course, 'All I Need' is stuck in my head, and I don't even know the lyrics.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:09 PM   #126
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo

Very cool. Did they play 'Sea Legs'? If so, how was it? They didn't play it here earlier this year, and it sounded majorly screwed up on Leno the other night (completely guitarless, despite the fact that two guitars were being played).
They didn't play Sea Legs here earlier this year either and I was bummed. But they did play it last night and it was incredible! They nailed it. It was a highlight of the show. I can see how it could easily go wrong--it has that weird tempo in the beginning and if it starts out wrong it would be hard to fix.

They did mention that they played it on Leno (I missed it) but said they heard that in Abq it was interrupted by the pubic emergency broadcasting test. "The story of my life," the guitarist said.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:10 PM   #127
Blue Crack Addict

Okay, my typo has now been quoted three times.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:11 PM   #128
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Okay, my typo has now been quoted three times.
I didn't even notice it was a typo until you pointed it out
Old 10-11-2007, 04:17 PM   #129
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Sorry if this has been posted:

Rollingstone: "In Rainbows" = 4.5 stars

These wily boys may have a secret album-title exchange program with Kelly Clarkson, but everything else about In Rainbows is typically hard-rocking Radiohead. Like every other Radiohead album except Kid A — still their most famous album, but they only made it once — In Rainbows has uptempo guitar songs and moody acoustic ballads, full of headphone-tweaking sound effects. All of it rocks; none of it sounds like any other band on earth; it delivers an emotional punch that proves all other rock stars owe us an apology.

In a brilliant move, Radiohead released In Rainbows via optional-pay download; I paid $5.27, in honor of my mom's birthday. Almost all the songs are already familiar to fans from live versions, but here they become expansive new creations. "Arpeggi" and "Bodysnatchers" ride on white-heat rhythm-guitar overdrive, while "House of Cards" is a fragile lovers-rock ballad closely resembling Dusty Springfield's (and the Byrds') "Going Back." "All I Need" has erotic pleading ("I'm an animal trapped in your hot car"), sad chimes in the "No Surprises" mode, and an ominoso synth-piano rumble.

On 2003's Hail to the Thief, Yorke's vocals were all punk rage, but here his voice has an R&B lilt that suits the songs' romantic directness. The end of "Videotape" is the only time the band dips back into dated glitch-blip electronics. Otherwise, the music is full of vividly collaborative sonic touches, from the Gary Numan synth-nightmare drones of "All I Need" and "House of Cards" to drummer Phil Selway's surprisingly deft way with his brushes and woodblocks. No wasted moments, no weak tracks: just primo Radiohead. Hell, I'm going back and tipping them another quarter just for the finger-cymbal solo on "Reckoner."
Old 10-11-2007, 04:26 PM   #131
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus

I don't think you'll be hearing anything like the majority of the stuff on In Rainbows anytime soon.

That may be, but if it isn't as good as the stuff that sounds like someone else does it really matter?
Old 10-11-2007, 04:26 PM   #132
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by zoetrope

I mean, when I heard All I Need for the first time I immediately noticed and was kinda disappointed that they used the "I'm an animal trapped in your hot car" line and not "I'm a flash flood running through your ground floor".
Oh dear. The latter is a better lyric.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:29 PM   #133
Rock n' Roll Doggie

btw, that Rolling Stone rating is .5 stars better than any of their other albums.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:31 PM   #134
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon
Old 10-11-2007, 04:32 PM   #135
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
btw, that Rolling Stone rating is .5 stars better than any of their other albums.
Rolling Stone changes their stupid minds all the time, though. I mean, look at their latest album guide for Radiohead:

Pablo Honey - 2.5 stars
The Bends - 5
OK Computer - 5
Kid A - 5
Amnesiac - 4.5
Hail To The Thief - 5