RA D IOHE_AD IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part V - Page 50 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2007, 08:56 PM   #736
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:52 PM
I've been really digging Hail to the Thief recently. Sit Down, Stand Up is completely sublime then rolls into a clusterfuck of electronica and raindrops.

The album itself is still a notch below The Bends, OK Computer, and Kid A, but better than I remembered it.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:32 PM   #737
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:52 PM
All I need sounded better live

Old 10-18-2007, 10:53 PM   #738
Refugee

Local Time: 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
I've been really digging Hail to the Thief recently. Sit Down, Stand Up is completely sublime then rolls into a clusterfuck of electronica and raindrops.

The album itself is still a notch below The Bends, OK Computer, and Kid A, but better than I remembered it.
I also returned to it recently, and it does have several very strong tunes- especially "Sail to the Moon," "The Gloaming," "There There," and "Punchup," which I very much like even if most are lukewarm towards it. A reviewer on Amazon was quite astute to suggest that, had the album been released by any other band, it likely would have been endlessly applauded.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:26 PM   #739
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Muldfeld

Anyway, there will be a tour in May of 2008:
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/..._id=1003660154

!
yes. yes. yes. god I can't wait. I would like to skip the winter months and go straight to summer, please.

xavi - what exactly about All I Need is better live? it sounds about the same to me I'm actually surprised they were able to capture the crescendo so well live since it's such a wonder in the studio. But I sure don't see how the studio version is lacking

and i can't get over how sexy thom's voice is never thought i'd say that about him, but that song (and this whole album really) is proof he can sing pretty if he wants to

as for Hail...for some reason I've had There There in my head all day. I admit, it's a damn good song. And I adore the first half of Sit Down, Stand Up, but that THE RAINDROPS THE RAINDROPS THE RAINDROPS shit is dumb. No wonder people thought Radiohead had become a parody of themselves. Still, Hail is a solid album overall. I think I like it more than Amnesiac, which while certainly good, never did as much for me as it seems to for people here.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:29 PM   #740
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
I've never had such a turnaround on my feelings for song like I am with Reckoner.

For the first 3-4 days, it was easily my favorite song on the album, and then, for some reason, over the weekend, it just stopped doing it for me. I mean, it's still good but it just sounds flatter now. It's not knocking me out like 'oh my fucking god this song is incredible' the way it was. I keep listening to hoping the magic will come back but it isn't, at least not now.

I don't know what happened.

What happened is that Yorke's vocal is slightly annoying, and the that the song really fails to build to anything. The strings right at the end as the song fases are SO good, but it's too little too late.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:31 PM   #741
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
the song really fails to build to anything.
It's the same repeated falsetto over and over again.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:32 PM   #742
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
Bodysnatchers sounds like Radiohead doing Pearl Jam.
Totally! Never thought of that before. A bit of surf-punk happening there. I love the breakdown.

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
I'll never understand why people are so enamoured by the more electronic-oriented phase of RH's career, either. My entry point into their catalogue was The Bends, and I do adore Kid A and all that stuff, but I just haven't been hit head-on by the awesomeness of that period yet.
I'm one of the few who think Kid A is actually their best album, but I don't think of it as "electronica" at all, for some reason. I know it is...but, to me, it's like Sigur Rós fused with jazz. The 'mood' of Kid A transcends any sort of standard electronica I've heard...so much so, that it's easily one of the greatest albums I've listened to.

Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicBono
so, I was walking back from the gym today, listening to All I Need, and literally right as the climax started, like the very fucking second, it suddenly started to rain and I looked over and there was a rainbow. Kind of amazing. I think someone else related a similar experience.
Pretty cool! I saw one here this morning, on the way to work. I immediately thought of the album...Mother Nature is pushing the promotional material!
Old 10-18-2007, 11:58 PM   #743
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by cdisantis83

I also returned to it recently, and it does have several very strong tunes- especially "Sail to the Moon," "The Gloaming," "There There," and "Punchup," which I very much like even if most are lukewarm towards it. A reviewer on Amazon was quite astute to suggest that, had the album been released by any other band, it likely would have been endlessly applauded.
"There There" is one of the best songs they've ever recorded. "I Will" is also a sweet little tune, it segues pretty well into "All I Need" on a new Radiohead mix I just made actually.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:06 AM   #744
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

xavi - what exactly about All I Need is better live? it sounds about the same to me I'm actually surprised they were able to capture the crescendo so well live since it's such a wonder in the studio. But I sure don't see how the studio version is lacking

more Glockenspiel from Jonny

and they recorded this nice chimes melodic noises which Jonny would play

you can hear it right at the beginning

Old 10-19-2007, 12:08 AM   #745
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

as for Hail...for some reason I've had There There in my head all day. I admit, it's a damn good song. And I adore the first half of Sit Down, Stand Up, but that THE RAINDROPS THE RAINDROPS THE RAINDROPS shit is dumb. No wonder people thought Radiohead had become a parody of themselves. Still, Hail is a solid album overall. I think I like it more than Amnesiac, which while certainly good, never did as much for me as it seems to for people here.
the rain drops pwn

as proof by this clip

Old 10-19-2007, 12:23 AM   #746
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by xaviMF22

the rain drops pwn

as proof by this clip

I'm sorry, but to me that just proved how ridiculous it is.

Sit Down Stand Up to me is this: They had a good piano part and melody and didn't really know what to do with it. So they just sorta repeat it for awhile, then realize they should probably have it do something besides repeat, so they come up with some half-ass crown ending. THE RAINDROPS, THE RAINDROPS, THE RAINDROPS. very good thom. save that shit for The Eraser plz.

Sail to the Moon though. .. oh my god what a gorgeous song one of their best.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:27 AM   #747
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

more Glockenspiel from Jonny

and they recorded this nice chimes melodic noises which Jonny would play

you can hear it right at the beginning

I think that works well for the live version, but for the studio version it sounds better with more space, more stripped down. I love how fucking bare it is and the way elements are added as the song goes along before the big pay-off at the end...reminds me of another band I know...

why are you about it there is no need for . All I Need is the opposite of .
Old 10-19-2007, 01:02 AM   #748
The Male

Local Time: 05:52 PM
Quote:
All I need sounded better live

And tour May 2008 =
Old 10-19-2007, 01:17 AM   #749
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

Sail to the Moon though. .. oh my god what a gorgeous song one of their best.
that one has some of Jonny's guitar work
Old 10-19-2007, 01:18 AM   #750
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

False. Stop your lies!

And tour May 2008 =
I need my chimes bitch