RA D IOHE_AD IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part V - Page 47 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2007, 01:54 PM   #691
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13
This is probably a really stupid question, but the first place I saw the My Little Pony album cover was here. Did one of you make that one? They've got it up on P'fork.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/articl...-fan-reactions

I posted it here (don't know if someone posted earlier than me, though). I got it the day of IR's release from my brother-in-law.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:56 PM   #692
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
Maybe it's because it's the only song on the album besides maybe Fuast Arp that's doing something different, as well as featuring the only interesting acoustic percussion on the whole album.

Reckoner & Faust Arp are my top 2 songs on the album. To be honest, I've already gotten bored with the rest of it. If I want to hear standard Radiohead, I have other Radiohead albums. I like the novelty--and the quality--of Reckoner & Faust Arp, as well as House of Cards, more than the typical Radiohead sounds of 15 Step or Videotape.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:17 PM   #693
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Utoo

I posted it here (don't know if someone posted earlier than me, though). I got it the day of IR's release from my brother-in-law.
I posted it here first

and it was created by someone over atease.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:59 PM   #694
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:37 PM
Good to know. I figured it didn't originate from one of you guys, but I had to make sure.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:25 PM   #695
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:37 PM
There's an absolutely excellent version of R.E.M.'s "Leave" with Radiohead on Towering... I'm in love with it.

Most of the 24 CD set I either had, didn't need, or was terrible quality. Lift, however, sweet Jemimah...
Old 10-17-2007, 03:52 PM   #696
The Male

Local Time: 06:37 PM
The more I listen to Kid A and In Rainbows, the more crushing it will be for me if they decide not to tour this record.

Now.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:57 PM   #697
Refugee

Local Time: 02:37 AM
They seem to like to tour before they release an album. Have they been known to tour after a release as well?
Old 10-17-2007, 04:07 PM   #698
ONE
love, blood, life

Reckoner is the best song on the album, for me. I just can't get enough of it.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:26 PM   #699
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:37 PM
As annoying as Pitchfork can be, they have some smart people who occasionally aren't annoying. I love what they said about Reckoner in their review:

...while the stunning "Reckoner" takes care of any lingering doubt about Radiohead's softer frame of mind: Once a violent rocker worthy of its title, this version finds Yorke's slinky, elongated falsetto backed by frosty, clanging percussion and a meandering guitar line, onto which the band pile a chorus of backing harmonies, pianos, and-- again-- swooping strings. It may not be the most immediate track on the album, but over the course of several listens, it reveals itself to be among the most woozily beautiful things the band has ever recorded.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:59 PM   #700
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13
This is probably a really stupid question, but the first place I saw the My Little Pony album cover was here. Did one of you make that one? They've got it up on P'fork.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/articl...-fan-reactions
I learned of it from Zedbetty.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:18 PM   #701
Blue Crack Supplier

Here's the write-up in the Village Voice--the first couple paragraphs are more about the release method itself and its effect on the legacy of the album, but if you're in the All I Need=transcendent/Videotape=big letdown camp, you're going to agree with the two biggest points. Very well written.

http://www.villagevoice.com/music/07...,78082,22.html
Old 10-17-2007, 06:38 PM   #702
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by thetitans2k
They seem to like to tour before they release an album. Have they been known to tour after a release as well?
Didn't I see them on the tour after HTTT was released?
Old 10-17-2007, 06:47 PM   #703
Refugee

Local Time: 09:37 PM
I thought Reckoner was my least favorite, but then I listened to it 12 times and it has shown its appeal to me LOOOOOOOVE this album. I can't even pick a favorite.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:52 PM   #704
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
Here's the write-up in the Village Voice--the first couple paragraphs are more about the release method itself and its effect on the legacy of the album, but if you're in the All I Need=transcendent/Videotape=big letdown camp, you're going to agree with the two biggest points. Very well written.

http://www.villagevoice.com/music/07...,78082,22.html
That's a great review. It pretty much covered everything we've talked about in here. And I loved what he says about All I Need. In fact, it's worth quoting here:

On now to "All I Need." "All I Need" is the jam. Everyone has expectations for Radiohead now, things they no longer do that we wish they still did. For most, this is rock. They just don't rock out like ______ anymore. With every subsequent album, we are nostalgic for a younger previous highlight: We pined for "Creep," then for "Just," then (a longer period of mourning now) for "Paranoid Android." But "All I Need" is what's suddenly an even rarer beast: the smoldering, escalating ballad. The melancholy opening, the steady crescendo of desperation, and finally, the bombastic climax. "Pyramid Song" had it. "Fake Plastic Trees" commercialized it. "How to Disappear Completely" forever perfected it. But on In Rainbows, even amid an album fond of slower, subtler, more washed-out pageantry, only "All I Need" truly evokes it. The skeletal beat skips meekly. Two-note bass pulses push forward and pull back. Thom Yorke, his extraterrestrial melancholy as acute as ever, moans about being "an animal trapped in your hot car" and a stalker "in the middle of your picture, lying in the reeds." Two minutes in, pounding piano chords invade, drums and blaring sonics thrash about, a beautiful ascending keyboard melody floats above, and Thom moans what might be words ("control"? "Is all"?) and might not. It's the record's one moment of unadulterated melodrama, a rare instance of very explicit and very welcome arena-rock pandering.

Or, like I said earlier, one of the best crescendos ever recorded.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:54 PM   #705
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Didn't I see them on the tour after HTTT was released?
Yes. Well, I mean, I don't know when you saw them, and I'm not sure when their tour started, but it went on after HTTT was released. I remember that summer vividly for a lot of reasons, one of them being having tickets to see Radiohead and then not being able to go.