RA D IOHE_AD IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part V - Page 36 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2007, 04:26 PM   #526
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by gump

Very true!

Speaking of pitchfork, I'm curious to know how they would rate Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree.... any thoughts?
They'd say they were shit compared to Zooropa.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:34 PM   #527
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

They'd say they were shit compared to Zooropa.
which is shit compared to Passengers

Old 10-15-2007, 04:50 PM   #528
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:22 PM
I was actually surprised when Pitchfork didn't include Achtung in their 100 Best Albums of the 90's. I know U2 is the band they love to make fun of (despite the fairly friendly review for HTDAAB), but you'd think they would have acknowledged the importance/impact of that album.

I guess not.

If I'm not mistaken, the only love U2 has received in that regard was JT placing on the 80's list.

BTW The Eraser wasn't even worth the 6.6 it received, which actually validates the Pitchfork Is On Radiohead's Jock notion more than the reverse. The best thing about it was the album cover. And Black Swan.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:35 PM   #529
The Fly

Local Time: 11:22 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't quite like it?
Old 10-15-2007, 06:40 PM   #530
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by emzz
Am I the only one who doesn't quite like it?
Yes.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:50 PM   #531
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus

BTW The Eraser wasn't even worth the 6.6 it received, which actually validates the Pitchfork Is On Radiohead's Jock notion more than the reverse. The best thing about it was the album cover. And Black Swan.
could not agree more (but replace black swan w/and it rained all night)

also, put me in the minority not gaga over in rainbows. it's currently dueling with hail to the thief for the dubious title of "2nd worst radiohead album"
Old 10-15-2007, 06:58 PM   #532
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bollox
also, put me in the minority not gaga over in rainbows. it's currently dueling with hail to the thief for the dubious title of "2nd worst radiohead album"
Yeah I agree. As much as I love House Of Cards, All I Need, Nude, 15 Step and Arpeggi, the album doesn't come anywhere near Bends, OK, and Kid A. And Amnesiac and Hail are slightly better I think.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:27 PM   #533
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

Yeah I agree. As much as I love House Of Cards, All I Need, Nude, 15 Step and Arpeggi, the album doesn't come anywhere near Bends, OK, and Kid A. And Amnesiac and Hail are slightly better I think.
amen! i know im a few pages behind, but i'll go ahead and post my album rankings

1. ok computer
2. the bends
3. kid a
4. amnesiac
5. hail to the thief
6. in rainbows
7. pablo honey

i will say i've increasingly liked every album from kid a on with repeated listens and i think in rainbows will similarly be a "grower." and all i need is one of the most beautiful songs the band has done, up there with pyramid song even.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:59 PM   #534
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by bollox

amen! i know im a few pages behind, but i'll go ahead and post my album rankings

1. ok computer
2. the bends
3. kid a
4. amnesiac
5. hail to the thief
6. in rainbows
7. pablo honey

i will say i've increasingly liked every album from kid a on with repeated listens and i think in rainbows will similarly be a "grower." and all i need is one of the most beautiful songs the band has done, up there with pyramid song even.
Wow, that's almost exactly like my ranking! Except I've always put The Bends at #1 and Ok Comp at #2. Although... today I'm not so sure. Ok Comp is kicking my ass right now!

1. the bends / ok computer...
2. kid a
3. amnesiac
4. hail
5. rainbows
6. pablo
Old 10-15-2007, 10:41 PM   #535
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:22 PM
I've given up on trying to rank Radiohead albums.

I start by saying 1.Kid A/2.OK Computer, and then I say, 'Because Kid A has HTDC and Everything In Its Right Place and Optimistic and Idioteque and MPS. But OKC has Paranoid Android and Exit Music and Let Down and Karma Police and No Surprises and, and, and...'

After (not)settling on a 1/2 order with those two records, I move on with no confidence at all and say, 'ok, 3.Hail To The Thief, because it has 2+2=5 and Backdrifts and Where I End And You Begin and There There and I Will and Myxamatosis and Scatterbrain and A Wolf At The Door. But....The Bends has Fake Plastic Trees and My Iron Lung and Just and Black Star and Street Spirit and, and, and...'

So I (not)settle on an order for those two with no conviction and say, '5.Amnesiac', and then I say, 'WHAT? Amnesiac? 5? But it has Pyramid Song and You And Whose Army and I Might Be Wrong and Knives Out and Like Spinning Plates and Life In A Glass House and, and, and...how could I possibly put this at 5!'

So I try to move Amnesiac up but then I scold myself for putting The Bends or HTTT or OKC below it, and then my head explodes.

And that's before I try to fit IR in anywhere at all.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:45 PM   #536
The Male

1. OK Computer
2. In Rainbows
3. Kid A
4. The Bends
5. The Eraser
6. Amnesiac
7. Pablo Honey
8. Hail To The Thief

Amnesiac is unfinished, Pablo Honey is inconsistent, Eraser doesn't have enough truly great tunes, and HTTT is just plain average in every way, from the crappy production, to the lazy sequencing, to the emotionless performances and self-referencing. None of those albums can hold a candle to In Rainbows.

2-4 are interchangeable, really. I'm just more in the mood for IR right now.

Now.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:46 PM   #537
Refugee

Local Time: 06:22 PM
I don't have quite so much trouble.

1. OK Computer
2. Kid A
3. In Rainbows
4. The Bends
5. Amnesiac
6. Hail to the Thief
7. Pablo Honey

Admittedly, there is something bizarre about placing albums as strong as Amnesiac and HttT at 5 and 6, but this only serves to evince the overall prowess of the band's catalog.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:47 PM   #538
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon
1. OK Computer
2. In Rainbows
3. Kid A
4. The Bends
5. The Eraser
6. Amnesiac
7. Pablo Honey
8. Hail To The Thief

Amnesiac is unfinished, Pablo Honey is inconsistent, Eraser doesn't have enough truly great tunes, and HTTT is just plain average in every way, from the crappy production, to the lazy sequencing, to the emotionless performances and self-referencing. None of those albums can hold a candle to In Rainbows.

2-4 are interchangeable, really. I'm just more in the mood for IR right now.
why is Thom's solo album ranked?

I thought this was RH only
Old 10-15-2007, 10:49 PM   #539
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by xaviMF22

why is Thom's solo album ranked?

I thought this was RH only
Because we were talking about the Eraser earlier.

Besides, Thom said it wasn't a solo album.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:50 PM   #540
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
I've given up on trying to rank Radiohead albums.

I start by saying 1.Kid A/2.OK Computer, and then I say, 'Because Kid A has HTDC and Everything In Its Right Place and Optimistic and Idioteque and MPS. But OKC has Paranoid Android and Exit Music and Let Down and Karma Police and No Surprises and, and, and...'

After (not)settling on a 1/2 order with those two records, I move on with no confidence at all and say, 'ok, 3.Hail To The Thief, because it has 2+2=5 and Backdrifts and Where I End And You Begin and There There and I Will and Myxamatosis and Scatterbrain and A Wolf At The Door. But....The Bends has Fake Plastic Trees and My Iron Lung and Just and Black Star and Street Spirit and, and, and...'

So I (not)settle on an order for those two with no conviction and say, '5.Amnesiac', and then I say, 'WHAT? Amnesiac? 5? But it has Pyramid Song and You And Whose Army and I Might Be Wrong and Knives Out and Like Spinning Plates and Life In A Glass House and, and, and...how could I possibly put this at 5!'

So I try to move Amnesiac up but then I scold myself for putting The Bends or HTTT or OKC below it, and then my head explodes.

And that's before I try to fit IR in anywhere at all.