RA D IOHE_AD IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LemonMelon said:
Atoms For Peace has been stuck in my head since yesterday. I really love that song.

No more leaky holes in your brain, and no false starts :dancing:

I love that line! :lol: And the whole song has a great beat! :dance:

Hah. Is that all I've been complaining about the past week and a half? Hardly.

But the percussion on here really is lame as shit. Just go back and listen to the majority of tracks from HTTT that have a fair mix of percussion in them. They absolutely blow IR out of the water.

Aside from Reckoner, Videotape, and maybe bits and pieces of Jigsaw, it's just not happening.

Lancemc said:
Hah. Is that all I've been complaining about the past week and a half? Hardly.

But the percussion on here really is lame as shit. Just go back and listen to the majority of tracks from HTTT that have a fair mix of percussion in them. They absolutely blow IR out of the water.

Aside from Reckoner, Videotape, and maybe bits and pieces of Jigsaw, it's just not happening.

:tsk: If you're going to compare IR's production to something superior, why not pick an album that is actually produced/mastered properly? Sail To The Moon crackles from the loudness. Even a 160 kbps Rainbows doesn't do that. :down:

Besides, any production complaints are pointless until we get the proper discbox versions in December.

What is Atoms for Peace? I just downloaded all the Radiohead b-sides (I've got a LOT of catching up to do, as I only know the My Iron Lung & Airbag EP stuff) and didn't see that title.

Atoms for Peace is a track off of The Eraser.

I found a mash-up of that track with Kelly Clarkson's vocals from Because of You. It's actually pretty cool.

Lancemc said:
I'm pretty sure this was Phil's kit for the In Rainbows sessions.

battatdrumset.jpg

Actually I found a pretty cool pic from the recording sessions:

35048312.JPG

Looks like Phil's due for another head-shaving.

Here's a 3-disc Radiohead comp I've been working on, what do you all think?

Disc 1: 1993-1996

1. The Bends
2. Black Star
3. Just
4. Killer Cars
5. Banana Co.
6. Creep
7. My Iron Lung
8. Lurgee
9. Thinking About You
10. High and Dry
11. Lozenge of Love
12. Planet Telex
13. Permanent Daylight
14. Stop Whispering
15. India Rubber
16. Sulk
17. Talk Show Host
18. Punchdrunk Lovesick Singalong
19. (Nice Dream)
20. Fake Plastic Trees
21. Street Spirit (Fade Out)

Disc 2: 1997-2000

1. The National Anthem
2. Palo Alto
3. Karma Police
4. Idioteque
5. Subterranean Homesick Alien
6. Lull
7. No Surprises
8. Everything in Its Right Place
9. Kid A
10. Airbag
11. Paranoid Android
12. Optimistic
13. Polythylene (Parts 1 & 2)
14. How I Made My Millions
15. Exit Music (For a Film)
16. Let Down
17. How to Disappear Completely

Disc 3: 2001-2007

1. Where I End and You Begin. (The Sky is Falling in.)
2. Fog
3. 15 Step
4. Sit Down. Stand Up. (Snakes & Ladders.)
5. Myxomatosis. (Judge, Jury & Executioner.)
6. Weird Fishes / Arpeggi
7. Gagging Order
8. You and Whose Army?
9. Nude
10. Pyramid Song
11. 2 + 2 = 5 (The Lukewarm.)
12. Bodysnatchers
13. Jigsaw Falling into Place
14. There there. (The Boney King of Nowhere.)\
15. Knives Out
16. I am a Wicked Child
17. Morning Bell / Amnesiac
18. Life in a Glasshouse
19. I Will. (No Man's Land.)
20. All I Need

All 3 discs are meant to be played in one playlist, but can be divided for individual CDs.

Bulletproof is one of the only tracks on The Bends I've never been able to get into.

Sail to the Moon is a song I really like, but couldn't find a place for it in the list, maybe in place for Myxoamatosis, but I like that one better.

Since this post will likely soon get lost in this thread:

Why the hell was the dead artists thread closed?

joyfulgirl said:

I don't get that. I know so many people who started with OKC. :shrug: I get it to the extent that everything we do is based on what came before (in a philosophical sense) but OKC is great all by itself, with or without The Bends.

But, I love all their records (except PH which no one should have to listen to for 2 weeks, I mean, come on, what's the point?) so I don't care where anyone starts. Just jump in somewhere.

No. I'm pretty sure I hit the nail on the head. :wink:

What makes OK Computer a great album then? It's great in relationship to other albums that have been created. If there were no other albums out there ANY album would be great.

Music, like words and most things that matter in life, is about context. If I was miraculously healed of deafness today, I would think that any music would sound amazing. Yes, even Nickleback. But, because I have listened to a lot of music I have developed an internal measure of greatness.

The Bends makes OKC great because it sets it in context. You know what came before it. Kid A makes it great because it sets what came after it. Other shit albums make it great because it sets what it is not.

I honestly have no idea what I am typing at this point, but I wanted to follow up with my last post with something even better. I believe I have achieved that with this post. In context that is...

LemonMacPhisto said:
Here's a 3-disc Radiohead comp I've been working on, what do you all think?

Disc 1: 1993-1996

1. The Bends
2. Black Star
3. Just
4. Killer Cars
5. Banana Co.
6. Creep
7. My Iron Lung
8. Lurgee
9. Thinking About You
10. High and Dry
11. Lozenge of Love
12. Planet Telex
13. Permanent Daylight
14. Stop Whispering
15. India Rubber
16. Sulk
17. Talk Show Host
18. Punchdrunk Lovesick Singalong
19. (Nice Dream)
20. Fake Plastic Trees
21. Street Spirit (Fade Out)

Disc 2: 1997-2000

1. The National Anthem
2. Palo Alto
3. Karma Police
4. Idioteque
5. Subterranean Homesick Alien
6. Lull
7. No Surprises
8. Everything in Its Right Place
9. Kid A
10. Airbag
11. Paranoid Android
12. Optimistic
13. Polythylene (Parts 1 & 2)
14. How I Made My Millions
15. Exit Music (For a Film)
16. Let Down
17. How to Disappear Completely

Disc 3: 2001-2007

1. Where I End and You Begin. (The Sky is Falling in.)
2. Fog
3. 15 Step
4. Sit Down. Stand Up. (Snakes & Ladders.)
5. Myxomatosis. (Judge, Jury & Executioner.)
6. Weird Fishes / Arpeggi
7. Gagging Order
8. You and Whose Army?
9. Nude
10. Pyramid Song
11. 2 + 2 = 5 (The Lukewarm.)
12. Bodysnatchers
13. Jigsaw Falling into Place
14. There there. (The Boney King of Nowhere.)\
15. Knives Out
16. I am a Wicked Child
17. Morning Bell / Amnesiac
18. Life in a Glasshouse
19. I Will. (No Man's Land.)
20. All I Need

All 3 discs are meant to be played in one playlist, but can be divided for individual CDs.

The only problem is Kid A and Amnesiac not being on the same disc....[forrest gump voice]those two records go together like peas and carrots[/forrest gump voice].

Dalton said:

No. I'm pretty sure I hit the nail on the head. :wink:

What makes OK Computer a great album then? It's great in relationship to other albums that have been created. If there were no other albums out there ANY album would be great.

Music, like words and most things that matter in life, is about context. If I was miraculously healed of deafness today, I would think that any music would sound amazing. Yes, even Nickleback. But, because I have listened to a lot of music I have developed an internal measure of greatness.

The Bends makes OKC great because it sets it in context. You know what came before it. Kid A makes it great because it sets what came after it. Other shit albums make it great because it sets what it is not.

I honestly have no idea what I am typing at this point, but I wanted to follow up with my last post with something even better. I believe I have achieved that with this post. In context that is...

So then why did I recognize OKC's greatness without having heard The Bends? If I heard it out of context then I should not have thought it was a big deal. But I knew immediately it was special. I get what you're saying because we live in a world of duality and only understand good because bad exists, and we understand happiness because of sadness, hot because of cold, male because of female, etc. But I don't think that applies to matters of personal taste and preference. Some people hated OKC because they loved The Bends before it. So yes, there's still a relationship there but it does not follow that OKC is great because of The Bends. I loved OKC and then I loved Kid A and right after that I loved The Bends and then I loved Amnesiac and then ... and well, you get it. And now I don't. :huh: :wink:

The Eraser is an awesome album.

Hearrowdown Hill, Cymbal Rush and The Clock are all better than so many R-Head tunes (including everything from The Bends).

namkcuR said:

The only problem is Kid A and Amnesiac not being on the same disc....[forrest gump voice]those two records go together like peas and carrots[/forrest gump voice].

That really bothers me, too, but you'd be surprised how well the Amnesiac tracks sound with the HTTT and In Rainbows tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom