RA D IOHE_AD IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lazarus said:

I think their best closing track, at least in context of the album if not outright.

Other than The Tourist closing OK Computer, definitely yeah.

Fitter Happier just popped up on iTunes, what a chilling song. Who knew Stephen Hawking could sing?

Life In A Glasshouse couldn't be the best closer. :tsk: It's a good song and everything out of context, but it just kind of sounds tossed in there within Amnesiac itself. Tourist and Street Spirit are superior.

BTW, people overlook Blow Out. That's clearly one of the standouts on Pablo Honey, and a good closer. :up:

LemonMelon said:
Life In A Glasshouse couldn't be the best closer. :tsk: It's a good song and everything out of context, but it just kind of sounds tossed in there within Amnesiac itself.

How is it out of context? The subject of domestic strife relates right to Morning Bell/Amnesiac, and the final lines "I'd like to sit around and chew the fat/only, only/there's someone listening in." implicates the audience and closes the album on a very meta note.

u2popmofo said:

My priorities are all screwed up. People's names, important facts, and words I've learned in other languages, I can't remember. People's opinions on music or CDs they've purchased on the other hand, I don't forget.

:lol: I hear you. I'm actually like that, too.

Originally posted by u2popmofo

For example, I think I remember you saying you didn't like the production on Loveless and wish they'd remaster it.

:tsk: I've grown since then.

Zootlesque said:
Pyramid is awesome but very melancholy. All I Need is just ecstatic!

Agreed. It may be too soon to declare All I Need my new favorite Radiohead song but it is certainly the favorite of the moment. I'm scared I'll burn out on it. But Pyramid is high on the favorites list as well.

Life in a Glass House :crazy: :drool:

lazarus said:

How is it out of context? The subject of domestic strife relates right to Morning Bell/Amnesiac, and the final lines "I'd like to sit around and chew the fat/only, only/there's someone listening in." implicates the audience and closes the album on a very meta note.

You're grasping for straws a bit, IMO. :wink: For one thing, Morning Bell is a Kid A song. That you're trying to relate Glasshouse to an alternate version of an old song kind of says it all about Amnesiac. :shrug: Besides, I wasn't referring to the lyrics, I was referring to the awful Like Spinning Plates--->LIAGH segue. :yuck:

There have been some great alternate track listings for Amnesiac on the web, and I think LIAGH deserves a shot on the record, but it needs something else next to it.

I knew I was completely obsessed with Radiohead when I realized I thought Like Spinning Plates was beautiful and that that was probably weird. :coocoo:

joyfulgirl said:
I knew I was completely obsessed with Radiohead when I realized I thought Like Spinning Plates was beautiful and that that was probably weird. :coocoo:

Like Spinning Plates live :drool:

lazarus said:
LemonMelon=pwned by chronology.

And the Amnesiac version is more organic and better anyway.

lazarus said:

lazarus said:

LemonMelon said:

Like Spinning Plates live :drool:

That version is absolutely exquisite, and haunting in the best sense of the term. The essay that I submitted with my graduate school applications was titled "Like Spinning Plates." I wonder how many professors understood the reference.

cdisantis83 said:

I wonder how many professors understood the reference.

Probably more than you'd think. I work with a lot of writers who teach and if they're under 40, or in some cases even 50, they know all the music I listen to and more. Especially if it's music that has good lyrics.

Okay, Lady with the Spinning Head just came on after Like Spinning Plates. Maybe I'm supposed to take a spinning class today. :ohmy:

Getting back to In Rainbows, I just put on the album again for the first time in several days.

The first thing I notice? I really really hate the percussion on this album.

Lancemc said:

The first thing I notice? I really really hate the percussion on this album.

Please tell me you don't hate the percussion opening Reckoner. Please?

Atoms For Peace has been stuck in my head since yesterday. I really love that song.

No more leaky holes in your brain, and no false starts :dancing:

So we're discussing IR's percussion now? The only bit I dislike is the intro to Arpeggi. Too simple, and too dry. Other than that, I regularly air drum to that song. :giggle:

I'm pretty sure this was Phil's kit for the In Rainbows sessions.

battatdrumset.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom